Feedback on Ear Training App

Hey all, I’ve been working solo for a year now on this ear training app I’m calling ToneScholar. I was wondering if anyone would like to try it out, it’s free. I am looking for any feedback so that I can improve the app. I’m also wondering if it’s worth continuing to work on or if I should spend my time on something else haha

https://tonescholar.com

does it help tinnitus?

Unfortunately that is a medical problem that my app does not address. ToneScholar is more geared towards training relative pitch, recognizing chord progressions, improving improvisation, and speeding up transcription.

I tried the site and I like what I saw.
Good explanations and examples and quite easy to follow. Hopefully it gets more interactive as the lessons progress.

1 Like

It’s a slow day at work, so I’m checking out the site and enjoying it so far. As a very lazy shape note singer, I can see this helping me out a lot, especially with no groups to attend in Taiwan!

Are there specific feedback questions you want addressed? I’m an editor by trade, so I’m catching the odd typo etc, but if you have structural questions or… pedagogical questions, maybe?, I can continue playing around on the site with those in mind.

1 Like

do I actually need experience singing for this? I can like, sometimes match a note with enough time and practice…

1 Like

You shouldn’t really. I included a feature that detects your natural vocal range and then all of the exercises are customized to fit within your vocal range.

Hopefully this sort of app will help with pitch matching. Incidentally, I also wrote a relevant article about why singing is helpful for ear training. You may find it interesting! Why Singing is Essential for Ear Training

1 Like

Thanks so much for checking it out! I think the main thing I’m working on right now is the learning curve. For some of my user testers, it is proving too steep. Let me know if you find anything too challenging.

I am also going to be adding more gamification. A points system based on the speed and accuracy with which you complete the exercises.

3 Likes

There are apps that can do that. The concept is, you train your ear to hear pitches or sounds that match the frequency of your tinnitus that you know are coming from your phone. Once you turn it off, the concept is your brain thinks you turned off the sound and it may help to relieve your tinnitus.

Some apps are white noise, belltone tinnitus, tinnitius relief, etc.

1 Like

the only time I’ve ever had to sing a pitch was tuning timpani, so yeah. A sustained note, I can do that :smiley:

1 Like

I’ve been told I have perfect pitch (vocal, relative, I guess). I am largely musically illiterate, though I just had my 3rd violin lesson today, second lesson navigating notation. I will give this app a try. PM if you want specific feedback.

1 Like