Feedback regarding Forumosa's Moderators 2003

Right. And I remember mucking with that just once - with Vincent, I believe, whose racist diatribes earned him the special title/honour of village idiot.

braxtonhicks wrote [quote]Admins can change those; mods cannot.
[/quote]Sorry to be picky but actually [color=darkblue]
anyone
[/color] with guanxi can alter these.

[quote=“amos”]braxtonhicks wrote [quote]Admins can change those; mods cannot.
[/quote]Sorry to be picky but actually [color=darkblue]
anyone
[/color] with guanxi can alter these.[/quote]

Wrong Amos. Sure, you can alter your own if you want, but only the admins can alter other peoples.

Really, then what does this mean ; under fx shop

Change Users Title 600

Well, to prove how wrong I was, I just spent 600 guanxis on your title. Seems you are right, so to make up, let me know what you want your real title to be and I’ll change it back. This was purely an experiment! :wink:

See, now why doesn’t anybody believe me. Pretty funny though Sandy, spat half a mouthful of Michelob over my laptop screen when I saw my title. You owe me a stubby :wink:

What the fuck is going on with the censorship of the thread entitled “Double Standards Muslim/Arab vs. West/Jewish World?” Twice, postings have been removed, though strangely enough mine wasn’t. However, the second time my posting had the beginning cut out of it.

Who the fuck is doing the censorship? If this fucking megalomaniacal childplay continues, I am outta here, and Forumosa will be blacklisted in the online/Taiwan expat world.

Thank you. Why is Blueface 666, Formosa and many others gone? This board is too strict and Maoman-influenced.

I used to lurk here a lot and this board used to be entertaining, but now it’s just fodder for your local old-age home.

Sigh. Middle-aged men.

It appears that the bits non-content related to that thread were split off and then merged with the “blather” thread and then tossed into the flame forum. Is that what you did, Maoman?
Lotta work for a whole lotta nothin!

[quote=“porcelainprincess”]I am outta here,[/quote]I’m not going to miss the hate-filled threads, I’m sure I’m not the only one.

[quote]and Forumosa will be blacklisted in the online/Taiwan expat world.[/quote] :unamused:

[quote=“frigor”]Thank you. Why is Blueface 666, Formosa and many others gone?[/quote]Blueface was on holiday I believe, so big conspiracy there…
I think Formosa finally realised how annoying he can be, which makes him better than some on here who never realise.

My browser says “Taiwan-oriented online community” at the top, what does yours say ? No, I wouldn’t want that strictly enforced… but come on, look at the thread you’re talking about and see what a lost it is to the Forumosa community if it’s gone.
I had a post edited and moved by the mods the other day, do you see me having a childish trantrum about it ? And that was a helpful post.

Fred’s quote, an article exposing some of the hypocrisy of so many (not all) of those critical of Israel is “hate-filled?” My follow-up, a sarcastic filleting of the patently incoherent, idiotic sentiments expressed by a certain student organization in the U.S. sympathetic to the Palestinians is “hate-filled?”

Oi vey…you don’t know from criticism.

I don’t get your drift.

“Blacklisted” was a word I threw out, admittedly hysterically, in the heat of the moment because unreasonable censorship of legitimate opinion in a public forum is loathesome and irritating (or is the Arab world above criticism?). Obviously, I wield little power on my own, but if this type of unreasonable censorship continues I will quit the board and will not hesitate to make it known that such censorship exists here.

Matthew,

I disagree. There is plenty of content on this forum dealing with issues related to Taiwan. And these can be quite helpful, amusing, informative, as well as silly and or obnoxious.

But besides those threads, or in addition to those, I spend time here for the discussions. I work in a Taiwanese firm as the only foreign national and I am married to a Taiwanese woman. All day long I speak Chinese.

I very much enjoy coming here to discuss various topics with others in English… I enjoy discussing/debating/arguing with Europeans and people from places other than my country (and also with my compatriots. I find it incredibly stimulating… and while it might not be apparent from my posts… I frequently am forced to question my own beliefs and arguments.

I think many of the discussions not related to Taiwan are very interesting and serve as an outlet (or inlet) for many of us.

I note that many forumites have commented that they steer clear of the political threads… and that’s fine… their choice. But some of us, I think, relish a political debate. I think Rascal likes and dislikes arguing with me as much as I like and dislike arguing with him. If he or I didn’t, we’d stop.

To each his/her own.

Peace.

[quote]I work in a Taiwanese firm as the only foreign national and I am married to a Taiwanese woman. All day long I speak Chinese.
[/quote] – Tigerman
Whoa, bummer! Sort of like being stranded on a desert island and having only the natives to talk to in their weird tongue (and mate with). :wink:

It gets worse. I have come across posts in my name that I have never made, not drunk, stoned or otherwise. Absolutely never made. And of course, I certainly was not happy with what happened to my “Agonizing Decisons” thread.

Chou

[quote=“Tigerman”]I disagree. There is plenty of content on this forum dealing with issues related to Taiwan. And these can be quite helpful, amusing, informative, as well as silly and or obnoxious.

But besides those threads, or in addition to those, I spend time here for the discussions. I work in a Taiwanese firm as the only foreign national and I am married to a Taiwanese woman. All day long I speak Chinese.
[/quote]Yes, but at least you have discussed matters other matters that do concern Formosians, others don’t give so much to Forumosa, or just use it as somewhere to slag people off, or to push their political views onto others.

So let’s ask Fred Smith why he doesn’t discuss nice topics, or try to help the Forumosa community, what really motivates him ?[quote=“Fred Smith”]Also for those that think we don’t play nice, I am sorry but I would rather be involved in some serious grown-up conversations rather than what is your favorite color and what does it tell about you? if you were any song what would you be? if you could be any topping on a pizza etc. Deep truly deep but not likely to lead to any serious disagreements.[/quote]

I also find the choice of forum for this very thread very telling… why put it in “open”, not in “feedback” ? Ah yes… we can’t be seen to be getting involved in a community can we ?

Oh, and for the record, I do not read any of these threads, the subject line is enough to tell me I won’t like it. Why aren’t these threads in the Flame Forum ? “Double Standards Muslim/Arab vs. West/Jewish World?” look like a flame to me… I don’t believe they would get editted there.

[quote]I work in a Taiwanese firm as the only foreign national and I am married to a Taiwanese woman. All day long I speak Chinese.
[/quote]

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”] – Tigerman
Whoa, bummer! Sort of like being stranded on a desert island and having only the natives to talk to in their weird tongue (and mate with). :wink:[/quote]

Yeah, its something like that… but its not a complete bummer.

Forumosa.com formerly Segue.com does not pay the moderators any money for there services. If they did this site would not be what it is. One of the benefits of being an unpaid moderator is that you get to moderate you own political views into the forum as a sort of payment.
If you would like to see what a well-moderated forum looks like take a look here.
eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewt … censorship
It is my opinion that open forums are supposed to be just that, unfortunately here on Formosa your post only stands unedited if you don

[quote=“Boomer”]unfortunately here on Formosa you post only stands unedited if you don

[quote=“Boomer”]
unfortunately here on Formosa you post only stands unedited if you don

[quote]You’re so full of shit. Fred Smith gets on my bad side daily and I never edit his posts. Who are these lovely moderators of Daves lovely ESL cafe anyway? Are they a local mish mash of personalities like us sexy Forumosan mods? Sure, you have a right to complain when your posts get edited, but we mods are humans, some like to micro-moderate, while some just go with the flow. We’re just doing our own thang. Forumosa has no firm rules. Gus made it explicit just the other night at happy hour that he doesn’t like that idea too much. So we mods all have different standards. So what? Get over your pissing and moaning and go yak on the English teacher’s forums, then.

Display posts from previous: All Posts1 Day7 Days2 Weeks1 Month3 Months6 Months1 Year Oldest FirstNewest First

[/quote]
I think you made my point for me Alien. I hope that is what you were trying to do. Thanks either way. The problem is that forums like this are viewed by some as the opinion of at least a segment of the foreign community in Taiwan. Double standards and abuse of authority do not aid in the effort to bring Taiwan