[Feedback Request] - My First Day In Taipei, Taiwan!

Hey, guys! With a ton of jet lag, I’m super happy to be able to finally post my first vlog in Taiwan. I was hoping to get some feedback in some way. At the end of every vlog I have, I try to teach some Chinese to my viewers, and I’m thinking of new things to teach. Any suggestions would be awesome. Thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0TwoLDeNwo&t=173s

2 Likes

I will be honest…
Boring.

Spacious? You live in a shoebox. Glad you are positive about it. You will not find a converter in a 7-11. It is unusual not to have 3 prong outlets in modern buildings…20 years or younger, so you live in an old building. Go to any 3C store to get the converter.

Excited about jugs of water? Really?

1 Like

And Taiwanese don’t say yuan. It’s kuai.

2 Likes

Both terms can be used. Kuai is more colloquial. Also Kuai is used in many parts of China.

2 Likes

You’re probably asking the wrong people. All of us old farts aren’t interested in the skyline, landlord negotiations, 7-11’s, buying SIM cards, etc., but I’m sure newbies will be. Putting myself in their shoes, I thought it was pretty good. At least you’ve taken the trouble to edit for clarity.

6 Likes

Welcome to the mind numbing, soul sucking nightmare known as Taiwan. Check back in after you’ve lived here 20 years.

1 Like

Couldnt’ get through this video. So fucking slow. So many repeats of the 20,000 other western expat vlogs in Taiwan. Living in Da’an for a couple of years I think you could have at least utilized cool shit about Da’an park that is new at least…Please please please don’t expect this to ever be your day job.

1 Like

I will be staying for several years, but I haven’t yet. This video is from my first day here, not from having already lived here for years. I appreciate the honesty nonetheless. I’ll work on making it more interesting. Thank you.

1 Like

I take it that you’ve lived here for 20 years? What makes you dislike it so much?

We really need more vlogs by people who just landed here. Always so insightful and unique.

1 Like

Oh I gotcha. I’m fairly new to this forum so I’m not 100% on the demographics. Is there a better forum site for me that you might suggest (besides reddit)?

Thanks, Drew. That’s legit the first positive piece of feedback I’ve gotten. Unless it’s sarcasm haha.

2 Likes

SuiGeneris,

Right, I’ll work harder on making things more interesting if I can. For a single apartment as a student, I’m still super grateful for it, spacious or not. Haha if you asked my friends about how I am with water, they’d roll their eyes. I have a particularly weird interest in carrying around water jugs, and I guess it shows in this video.

1 Like

ckw_64,

I’ve been told that both work.

24 posts were split to a new topic: yuan or kuai

Brutal.

It’s 100% sarcasm.

1 Like

I don’t think there is one anymore. The only site that might have fit the bill closed down years ago. Reddit may be your best bet - I’ve never checked it, but I’m told the members are mostly younger and newer. Here, you’ve basically turned up in a group of old men sitting on the porch in their rocking chairs saying “ain’t like it used to be 'round here” and “yup” occasionally. Or just grunting.

Don’t see any problem with the fact that it’s all been done before. I occasionally look on YouTube for videos of places I’m going to. Some of them are, literally, just someone walking around the street with a camera. Sure, if you live there, that’s boring and stupid, but if you’ve never been there before, it’s a perfectly good way to get your bearings.

Only suggestion I’d make is to edit it down to 10 minutes or so. That’s about the limit of the modern attention span. The shorter it is, the more views you’ll get.

2 Likes

That’s only 11 of us, another 17 are younger men sitting on the porch, getting up occasionally to stir the moonshine.

3 Likes

You forgot mooing, meowing, barking, neighing, and slithering. :no_no:

3 Likes