Ferry from Jinmen/Mazu to Xiamen/Fuzhou

From the Taipei Times 20 June 2008:

I take this statement with a grain of salt. I know that Taiwanese have been able to travel on these routes for some time and the restrictions for Taiwanese have been further relaxed. Can anyone confirm whether or not foreign nationals can actually use these ferry services to travel from Taiwan to China. What restrictions apply if any?

Well, I am tempted to make myself the first guinea pig as I am returning to Taiwan in a few days but well, I have had enough surprises with two months in China. I will do a bit of research on it when I come back as if it’s true I want to include it in the next China guide to allow all those lovely backpackers easier access to the great Formosa. I’m really hoping that gaggle of lovely Harvard med students staying in my hostel now will be the first.

Yes. That’s what the Chairwoman of the Mainland Affairs Council reported to the ECCT at a meeting this afternoon, as I translated for her yesterday. But she also added that, since Beijing still hadn’t adjusted its position on the status of the three small links, foreigners would not yet be able to make the journey in the other direction, though it was hoped this could be changed through future cross-strait talks.

Yes. That’s what the Chairwoman of the Mainland Affairs Council reported to the ECCT at a meeting this afternoon, as I translated for her yesterday. But she also added that, since Beijing still hadn’t adjusted its position on the status of the three small links, foreigners would not yet be able to make the journey in the other direction, though it was hoped this could be changed through future cross-strait talks.[/quote]

Thanks for that. I will definitely not try to enter Taiwan via Xiamen then.

The only problem with travel in any direction, however, is that visas are still not issued in Taiwan. Going to China via Kinmen will be very cheap but not if travel agents still have to apply for your visa through the Hong Kong visa office. Furthermore, if you have to fly back to Taiwan via HK, you might as well fly via HK, as the price for a one-way or return is about the same. This is just more empty symbolism from the Ma admin. :unamused: