Fewer cars in cities = better economy

Taipei has excellent and cheap public transport and parking facilities, I don’t see any problem about widening pedestrian zones in Taipei. There’s also a very large population that is resident in Taipei city.

There’s so much stuff they are foot dragging on in Taipei, crappy government .

Electric buses for instance…

1 Like

i think it depends on the place. in my home country there is more of a separation of commercial and residential. in taipei not so much. taipei is very suitable for this type of thing.

That’s a good idea, but I don’t know how much it would help until you address the current critical mass of vehicles on the road. It would help during non-peak hours, but during rush hour, there are just way more vehicles on the roads than what they were built for.

It’s stupid.

And Barcelona would be near the bottom of the list when I think of a city with good economy. Tourists =/= good economy.

It’s much nicer than Taipei…

1 Like

Yeah for a tourist sure, but in terms of the economy not at all. The unemployment rate is still 15% (youth unemployment is >40%) in Spain and Barcelona is in Spain. It’s also pretty expensive and the salary is crap.

1 Like

Rent is ridiculous and hard to find as many landlords now know they can make more money renting it out on AirBnB.

and you think something that helps this economy is stupid? thats nice.

" Each Saturday and Sunday, from 12:00 noon until 5:00 pm, the main street through Ginza is closed off to road traffic, allowing people to walk freely. This is called Hokōsha Tengoku (歩行者天国) or Hokoten for short, literally meaning “pedestrian heaven”. Wikipedia

I have been there, the centre of Tokyo, a is full of people. I think is better for shopping, of course not for chabuduo shopping.

2 Likes
  1. There is no way to prove that there is a causal link between “less cars” and “better economy”. It’s all just speculation at best. It could just be that the economy in Spain has improved a bit since the crisis (which is the case since given their horrible situation post-crisis they had nowhere else to go but up).
  2. Even if it can be proved that lack of cars has improved Barcelona’s economy, there is no way to prove that the same can be said about Taipei. I don’t think it would at all. Not even a little bit.

and you are basing it not working on what exactly?
the economy was already bad in spain. this improved it. (according to the video, and common sense that more people walking around would lead to more buys)

it seems like your whole reasoning for it not improving the economy (pollution and noise would make it worthwhile anyway) is that spains economy was already bad. thats not an actual reason sir.

1 Like

He’s just having a moan as usual.
I was in Barcelona recently and it’s a world class city . That it has too many tourists just means it’s a victim of its own success.

1 Like

No doubt it’s an amazing city. I have wonderful memories there. Beautiful with so much culture and so much to enjoy for pleasure. Also the women are imo the most beautiful I’ve ever seen.

But gain is right that is has a dark side. It has always had a strong manufacturing sector as a large port city. But tourism has taken a toll, it’s too much. Residents are fighting to keep it. For example people buy up apartments and refuse to rent them to residents to make money for services like AirBnB. Prices for everything is incredibly high, more than usual due to tourism. It’s like Venice also an amazing city, but share many of the same problems.

Yes well I get your point but we can’t afford apartments in Taipei city either and it looks like crap. :joy:

1 Like

I think it’s not that bad compared to Barcelona. I didn’t find the apartments in Barcelona any more beautiful on the inside, on the outside it’s beautiful. But on the inside it’s pretty old and small as well. And the people I know who did find apartments reasonably priced are students who rent out university owned apartments. People really struggle to find rent in the city, and had to move to the outskirts more and more from a few friends I know there.

I know they’re trying to propose some laws to solve this, not sure how that’s coming along.

well barcelona rents can’t be too bad, at least compared to london. one guy commutes from there to work in london.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNTInjTwsGQ

Almost 3k in euros for a 2 bedroom apartment? That’s terrible. Is the rent still that high with brexit looming? I remember seeing housing pricing dropped a bit.

Any effort to eliminate cars in the cities will not work in the US.

For one thing public transport is so laughable even in big cities, taking away cars is tantamount to denying people’s right to mobility.

They would have to dramatically improve the city’s public transport, to the level of extensive bus and rail coverage before they can consider putting huge tax on cars in the city or taking away car lanes in favor of bike lanes… But since there seems to be insurmountable hurdles from any city (even large, densely populated ones) to establishing effective public transport, I don’t see how it’s going to work.

Otherwise all it will do is piss people off.

I think the only place is NY city? Most people there I know don’t even have a drivers license.

Probably can’t afford parking