Fewer cars in cities = better economy

The plan in the video didn’t eliminate cars. It limited the places they can drive. A 9 block grid isn’t that large of an area to not be able to drive a car. I think there’s a couple large cities in the US where it could work. New York is an obvious one. I think San Francisco, San Diego, Seattle, and Boston could work as well. Again, it would need to be very well thought out and limited to a handful of areas in each city. I think on paper, Chicago could work as well, but the harsh weather might make it less feasible.

1 Like

They even do this in Hanoi old quarter on weekends.
As I said Taipei needs a lot of improvement in this regard.

2 Likes

Maybe people start doing that in Taiwan and moving to Kaoshiung, take HSR and save money!

you wouldn’t need to go that far, 40 mins outside of taipei and things are cheaper!

Might work in New York city, given how bad traffic there is it’s probably a good thing and they can encourage car drivers to take the subway by giving discounts… like cheaper month pass for example (I think month pass for new york subway is over 100 dollars a month). Taipei MRT month pass is ridiculously cheap!

In fact they should charge a congestion tax or something if you want to drive in the Taipei/New Taipei area… way too many vehicles here. They don’t even have to charge a new tax, but just step up enforcement of traffic rules only in the Taipei area and that will keep motorists away, or they’ll drive carefully.

Yeah, according to the video. How very authoritative.

And the fact that it worked there doesn’t mean it would work here. People drive to shop in Taipei. That’s just common sense.

Yeah, for a tourist. Ask any Spaniard how their economy is. I’m sure they’ve got a ton of world class shit to brag about lol.

That says more about London, and that guy is insane. He can easily flat-share with £800 in zone 2.

Yes they do have a ton of world class shit to brag about. It’s Spain and it’s popular for a reason.

:grin:

again you give no actual reasons for your statements. for a start you still won’t say what you are basing the information in the video being wrong on.

and you base your reasoning on it not working in taipei on nothing also. people drive to shop? sure but they shop more when walking thats the whole point that you seem to be having a very difficult time grasping. and also, when putting your own selfish convenience aside others benefit from less noise and air pollution. its a win win win situation. its seriously shocking how violently against walking taiwanese can be sometimes.

1 Like

People shop in department stores.

no cars or scooters allowed in department stores mate.

1 Like

If they could they would!

2 Likes

What are you talking about? There are parking lots in department stores.

and you can park outside a non traffic area and walk around too…i’m not quite sure you are grasping this basic concept.

In the same building, but no one is driving down the aisles.

And your car can fly into the building?

What’s your point?

I’m definitely with you that too many pedestrian areas would suck (see post 15) and not guarantee economic benefits.

But it’s pretty clear there are no cars or scooters inside the actual department store unless it’s a pimp handicapped ride.

After 10 years of @Gain …we are still never quite sure sometimes :wink::slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

As I said it’s Gain… :grin:

The NYC Metro pass is cheap, very much cheaper than driving into the city. Just tolls (avg $12-$20) will be $200-$400 a month into Manhattan/Bronx/Staten Island not mention parking (up to NT$1,500day), car costs, ect. In Japan tolls are high too, not so cheap to drive. Taiwan in general can learn from this make it cost more to drive a car (and scooter). If the toll from Taoyuan to Taipei was NT$500, a lot more people would use the train/ bus, and less need for parking spaces and less space used for cars. Now days ETC (Electronic Toll Collection) is easy to set up and not easy to bypass.

traffic on the streets of taiwan doesn’t seem so terrible after seeing this, about New York not to mention garbage and streets surface

2 Likes