Fiber Internet (FTTH/FTTB) in Taiwan

Folks, are there any people that are knowledgeable bout Fiber Internet (specifically a) FTTH and b) FTTB (FTTH would be my preference) on Forumusa?

Thank you. This means a lot.

What are you trying to find out?

Anyone know what type HiNet Fttx are using?
Active Optical Networks (AON) or Passive Optical Networks (PON)

Each fiber leaving the central office is actually shared by many customers. It is not until such a fiber gets relatively close to the customers that it is split into individual customer-specific fibers. AONs and PONs both achieve this split.

Or anyone with a Fttx can tell me what modem model they gave you?

1 Like

I-040GW I040GW換機 - YouTube

2 Likes

Alcatel Lucent I-040GW

Thanks! It is PON then

I will change to fiber soon. I want to use my own fiber modem that I can configure properly.
Pretty sure the technician will be hand waving and insisting only their own routers are compatible. But fiber is well standardized and should be no issues. Will probably dump the config if there is any username/password needed for modem auth.

1 Like

Hi Guys, moving to a new apartment and looking into FTTH/FTTB. Anybody know what to ask CHT? The first thing we are going to ask obviously is whether they have FTTH/FTTB to the building. Next question, I guess, is can I configure the modem? Should I ask to be allowed to use my own modem? I know about networks, just not up to date on FTTx.

Second question, I really only need 100Mbps/50Mbps or something like that, should I still over-pay and get 1Gbps or something, and expect my connection to work better in times of congestion or busy traffic? What I mean is, if everything is “busy” at the provider, do they prioritize traffic to higher paying subscribers, in your experience?

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

Yeah, I saw that. FTTx goes to the building too, just got it confirmed. Can get 7 dynamic and 1 static IP, or as many static as I want, and pay by IP.

I am looking for somebody pretty technical to give me the lowdown on how to best take advantage of their service. Speeds? IPs? PPPoe? Modem?

1 Like

300/150, of course it depends to what server you connect.

Actually, I was surprised when I set up my new Wi-Fi router, it just linked onto the Hinet modem connection and that’s it. No password, no settings, just check ‘dynamic’ and it connected without any trouble. The only password and username are the one from my Wi-Fi router. I remember in the past you needed to give Hinet’s username and password and a few other things, no more of that. If it’s static I guess you need to input the IP.

If they come to connect, they will see how they get the fiber inside the home, I’ve seen several where they put it along the wall and through the bell push button into the home and then just put it along the wall to where the modem sits. I think if they can, in newer buildings they pull it through the existing pipes.

2 Likes

This is something you need to verify. For example, att fiber in the US uses standard interfaces, but there is an authentication certificate on the router which prevents you from easily using your own equipment.

2 Likes

Any reason to get your own modem if you are planning to run your own firewall / router behind the modem anyway? Did you end up confirming PON and did you use a new modem?

Thanks for all that!

Do you have their maximum speed and you are getting 300/150? Or what did you mean?

I understand for the static IP you do not need PPPoE. So this Zyxel modem I am assuming can actually do 1000Mbps. I saw some mention of people getting better speeds over the static connection than PPPoE. I want to route everything through a pair of PfSense firewalls, so ideally I would only have one IP (I could load-balance multiple PPPoE connections but only if that helped).

Did anybody try using multiple PPPoE ? Since it says you can get more than one dynamic IP. Would that improve your speeds? Or, if my routers can handle 1000Mbps will I be able to get optimal speed using just the one static IP?

Realistically I need much less speed than 1000Mbps, just wondering how to make the most of whatever connection I get. Price-wise the 500/250 seems like a sweet-spot.

1 Like

The fiber connection is on the house right across the street. We are waiting for telecom company to send a crew. The usual technicians don’t do that. They need a boom lift to put the cable on the existing street pole and into our house.

I will check out their modem and decide if I can live with it, potentially putting it into bridge mode. The last technician was very competent and spoke English. He most likely can explain what kind of auth they use in their fiber network. If it’s just PPPoE, then other modems should be compatible. I will either ask him for it or dump the config from the router and extract it from there.

2 Likes

I didn’t test it at the modem itself but over Wi-Fi, through a Wi-Fi extender. I got several times more than the max, like 305/160 but mostly it’s 250-260/150, the computer is a long way from the modem and Wi-Fi router. Overseas servers give decent speeds around 200/100 or more. Ping times from 3-7ms local, overseas around 10ms. The package is CHT FTTX 300/150

Broadband | ChungHwa Telecom CHT.com.tw

2 Likes

I finally had it done by CHT yesterday.
The modem I got is:
GPON HGW ASKEY-RTF8207W-E

Here is an image off the internet

This weekend I will dig into the settings.

2 Likes

I have the same modem, sadly service is ending next week.

But I told them to have someone to come over for the equipment. These fiber connections are not user serviceable. Do not bend them, and do not attempt to disconnect them. They require special equipment to splice or terminate. I’ve seen them do it. If you bend the cable too tight the fiber will break, and you will have no internet.

Copper cable is so much simpler.

I couldn’t imagine why I would mess with them. It basically goes from outside through the wall to a hidden wall compartment where the modem hangs. There is no visible fiber cable inside the house. It connects to a switch which has Gbit Ethernet to the rest of the house.
Outside of the house it goes on the carport roof directly to the cht box on the wall.
Pretty solid setup the installer did.

Only issue that will come is if you attempt to move the modem, basically don’t.

Basically don’t try to disconnect the cable from the modem because you probably won’t be able to reconnect it and have it work.

The fiber cable itself is quite small, about 2mm in diameter.

disconnecting shouldn’t be a big deal, unless that modem has some sort of nonstandard plug. the cable is more fragile than copper, but it’s easily handled for normal tasks by anyone not doing anything stupid (don’t fold / kink the cable, for example).

why? it just plugs in, no?

He just cut the cable and used a tool to add a connector. I believe it is a standardized fiber connector.