Filing 2022 taxes early

I plan to file my taxes early since I’m leaving Taiwan and won’t come back to work in Taiwan in the near future. I want to file my taxes in July is there a requirement that you need to file by a certain time before you fly out?

I will be flying out of Taiwan on July 13th. By July 4th-July 12th I would’ve been in Taiwan for 184+ days. So what’s a good day to file?

1 Like

I don’t think you can file 2022 Taiwan tax until May 1st, 2023 next year (but I could be wrong. Maybe you can hire a local CPA/Tax Accountant). However, if you have a smart card reader, (TW health care card or the natural digital id) and knows how to navigate TW tax bureau website, you can file online.

1 Like

If you are leaving permanently you are supposed to file early AFAIK. You can’t do it online though. Not sure if there is a deadline, I’d imagine you’ll be fine as long as it’s done before you actually leave. I left to go live in China in 2019, and didn’t submit my tax return for that year before I left. I only got around to submitting for that year when submitting my 2021 tax return. No penalties or punishment. They actually owed me money, so obviously they weren’t in a hurry for me to submit. I think you can only be fined for submitting late if you owe them money, but apparently they usually waive the fine.

2 Likes

You can. Just hit up your local tax office and explain.

5 Likes

As I recall if you can find a guarantor you can get a refund paid to you early too.

1 Like