Filing Taxes in 2022

Filing in Taiwan is essentially just confirming that the info the government have about your income is correct, since they have access to all your Taiwan income, including investment earnings. The only time it gets a bit messy is if you need to report overseas earnings, since obviously they won’t know about those. It can also be a bit of a hassle if you are claiming deductions based on dependents overseas, but your experience will vary from tax office to tax office. It’s worth trying online, but for some of us here it spits out strange errors, so be prepared to end up going to the tax office in that case.

2 Likes

Today is August 1st, so we should start to see our tax refunds come in today. Will be checking mine once I get it into the office, since I don’t have online banking set up for my post office account. Anyone received theirs yet?

3 Likes

Some of us don’t get refunds. Some of us have to pay monies. :sweat:

4 Likes

Just checked and yes I got my tax refund!

4 Likes

Congrats!

And a shout out to Taiwan’s National Taxation Bureau folks for nailing it and not messing around with your refund. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

1 Like

You should have thought of that before you voted in those populist “tax the bears” politicians.

Guy

2 Likes

what bar you setting up free rounds of drinks?

There is this water tap in the park near me, you might have heard of it. Great atmosphere and fresh air

Asking here although it’s not specifically on 2022. @olm feel free to move this elsewhere if you wish.

I won’t be in Taiwan during the filing period next year so I went to the Tax Office today to ask what the fine/surcharge would be if I file in like August/September. The reply left me a bit puzzled. The officer said: “We only fine people when we realise that they haven’t filed and notify them to come over. This usually happens the following year. If you come by your own initiative just a few months after the filing period, you will not be fined”.

Can anyone confirm (or deny) this?

I filed for 2019 in 2022 and was not fined. Not even a warning. Also, if you don’t actually owe them any money, they can’t fine you anyway. So don’t worry, and especially don’t worry if they will owe you money.

2 Likes

Seems like the tax office has already confirmed their policy to you (interesting to have it stated explicitly like that), but I believe they rarely fine people for being a bit late. Interest will be payable on any overdue amount, but that’s negligible.

I’ve been late a couple of times too. (Up to 3.5 years. :whistle:)

2 Likes

I tend to believe confirmations from fellow Forumosans more than Taiwanese civil servants :rofl: but thanks for the input.

1 Like

The tax office has let me down. Normally ok, but this year they fucked up. They were clueless when I was filing and now……

I told them I want my rebate sent to my bank. Well actually my wife’s.

Got a letter in the post saying my cheque is ready for collection.

Number one, didn’t want a cheque.

Number two, if they sent me a letter, why didn’t they just send the cheque?

Annoying as fuck because I am guessing that it must be put in a bank account under my name. But I want it in my wife’s account so I have to take an extra trip to the tax office and waste time going to my bank etc.

When filing tax you need to bring your bank details with you, so that they know where to put the money, if they don’t know you bank account of course they will put it on bank cheque.

1 Like

Thanks for that. I gave them the bank details.

Do you really think I didn’t give them my bank details and then came here to moan because they didn’t put it in my bank?

That post should be moved to the “unhelpful” thread

1 Like

Has the bank account you gave them been updated to your new ID number? If you filed with one ID number but the bank account has another then they can’t transfer you the money, or at least that’s what they told me when I filed.

1 Like

It was my wife’s account. The same one we use every year. Nothing has changed with it.

Perhaps the issue is that you wanted your tax refund sent to her account. I guess that would only be possible if she was the one who filed. Unless that’s the case?

We have done that every year. No problem as long as I agree. Must be to do with my ID change.find out tomorrow

1 Like