Filipinos to Start Teaching English in Taiwan

Require all English teachers to take an English language exam at their own expense. Zero bureacratic cost.

2 Likes

I’m not very concerned with the accepted small variations like aunt vs aunt or aitch vs haitch. What bothers me is the guy at my school who has terrible grammar even when speaking to other native English speakers - “She have two book” type of stuff. Or there’s the other teacher who comes in to teach my students once a week. The kids always tell me that he misspells common things or asks them what a word in their reading book means because he truly doesn’t know. If they don’t know either he has to look it up.

One is from South Africa and one from the USA if it matters. I fall in the camp that it shouldn’t matter where you come from, you just need the skills to do the job. Basic grammar, vocabulary and spelling ability in the classroom should be a bare minimum IMO.

1 Like

what is wrong with this. totally understandable sentence.

IELTS test

1 Like

In English we use singular and plural, accuracy is missing here, but basic meaning is ok.

Oh, unless she had one book. I’m guessing the meaning and might guess wrong. Wouldn’t have to guess if it was correct in the first place.

High context cultures might guess, and shrug off the mistake as inevitable or close enough, I guess…

Anyways, I wouldn’t correct that on the Flob, but that isn’t a good example for learners from a teacher. Such a basic mistake.

All the Maori speakers in New Zealand also speak English…… not unlike how the Irish speak English better than Irish and the Welsh speak English better than Welsh.

It would be difficult to find a native Maori speaker. Only 50,000 people claim to speak it well. So you’re looking for a needle in a haystack of 50,000 i would be surprised if 10 of those 50,000 don’t speak English fluently.

Not sure if you’re being sarcastic but:

But that was just a quick example of the type of basic grammar mistakes this guy makes. I’d estimate less than 25% of his sentences have no mistakes, which is not great for somebody whose whole job is teaching English.

He can’t be a native speaker if he’s making mistakes like that. A native speaker wouldn’t be able to do it.

1 Like

Could have bad English as a first language?

1 Like

Of course. Look at some of the posts by native speakers on Forumosa.

3 Likes

I make lots of mistakes on here with my phone typiing. Am not worried about it, becauseb im nit being paid

Do youbwant to pay me?

3 Likes

That’s not race it’s nationality. Unless you are assuming people from Australia or England are a race ?

2 Likes

Ow much u no bout english

So you don’t bother to check it before you hit Send. About as lame an excuse as “TYPO!”
Anyway, if you want to come across as illiterate, that’s your choice.
Go check out Facebook and see the clowns who can’t string a sentence together without multiple errors applying for English teaching jobs.

Enough to get paid, if there are expectations.

For what I’m being paid here, I decide the level of effort I put in :blush:

3 Likes

Don’t you get a moderators’ lunch every six months or so? Those used to be pretty cool.

This is my life view. Teaching English in Taiwan pays less than I was paid at Maccas in Australia 7 years ago. So they receive less effort than my boss at Maccas received. That includes less proof reading.

Maccas = McDonald’s.

1 Like

Depends. Some things even if i do check i dont care, like case and commas in this sentence.

I dont care, is my excuse. Yiu get what you pay for

We all develop opinions about each other over time. If people who have been active on this site for the past few years have come to the conclusion that i am illiterate, well, what can I say?

Sucks for them, I’m not interested. Obviously I check my cover letters more closely than my forumosa phone posts. That’s why I have a good job, which gets more of my time than Forumosa because they pay better

Must be nice for the guys that live up north. So far, 0 moderator lunches in south taiwan. So i can spend the time and money to go up there for a “free” lunch. Basically a work lunch, because Ibhave to be on good behavior…

3 Likes

By “here” I mean Forumosa (funny how the correct grammar still needs clarification, eh?). My job in Taiwan pays fine, all things considered

I know you meant Formosa. I mean putting in effort equal to the amount you’re paid is good life advice. I was trying to be supportive of you haha

And it also explains to why one might not edit their posts on job ads for English teachers that are posted to Facebook… often posted by people who can’t speak English for shit but “only hire Americans”

2 Likes