Filipinos to Start Teaching English in Taiwan

IELTS especially the speaking part could be really subjective, same like your job interview.
Person with better looks would likely get better grades.

1 Like

I thought it’s pronounced ‘etchü’ here in Taiwan.

8 Likes

There are measures to minimise that, but you are correct. Life’s not fair.

2 Likes

TOEFL is more consistent.Though the apeaking is more about time management than English lol.

Native speakers create language rules, they don’t follow them. Books only record what native speakers do and tests only test on what is written.

It is now acceptable to say both zee and zed for ‘z’ because that’s acceptable to native speakers. The same is happening to the name of ‘h’

Not dissimilar to how the past tense of sneak randomly became snuck for no reason.

Americans just like to claim ‘American English’ in order to save face instead of admitting they are a bit different. All other native English speaking countries are quite proud of their unique English habits. Americans don’t like to accept that they’re different so they claim ‘American English’.

I don’t walk around saying I speak Australian English, I just speak English. Americans are unique in the way they claim they speak ‘American English’ rather than just claiming they speak ‘English’ .

Also this is not true.

https://www.macquariedictionary.com.au/blog/article/284/

Generally, the easiest way to say something eventually becomes the standard.

2 Likes

A good test has validity and reliability

murican

1 Like

The haitch is technically easier, isn’t it. Don’t need that extra glottal bit at the back there

1 Like

But people who say it are considered dicks in the UK.

Except in the UK

People who say haitch are considered dicks?

They’re perceived as lower middle class social climbers.

I’m as working class as they come and everyone says haitch where I am from. Never heard this before.

I looked it up and apparently haich might be a Catholic thing. Not sure whether that is a factor in your experience.

I ofTen use the T, even though easier not to. I seem to recall it is a similar phenomena

1 Like

I claim i speak british english as kind of a warning to taiwanese that they may not be able to follow. I dont see the problem in differentiating. I’m also not very familiar with mainland chinese.

what? USAmerican English, British English, Filipino English, all English. I hear no difference.

1 Like

Filipinos are the best English speakers among the third world countries.
Take any random Filipino, Thai, Vietnamese and Indonesian, almost certain the Filipino is the one speak English the best (and Vietnamese are the one speak Chinese the best).
If Indian included, then likely Indian will be the best.

That being said, 99% of Filipino in Taiwan, probably did not qualify to teach English, due to multiple factors, non-native speaker, no teaching qualification or higher education diploma.

That being said, there are many Westerners here that also not qualified to teach English (albeit having the correct passport), due to very same reasons. A South African whose native tongue is Afrikaans or Xhosa. A Canadian whose native tongue is Cantonese, Vietnamese or French. An Australian whose native tongue is Indonesian or Chinese. A New Zealander whose native tongue is Maori. A Brit that talks with Multicultural London English. An American that speak hilbilly or AAVE.

Question is, how to filter them? Without becoming borderline racism, and at the same time maintain low bureaucratic cost.