Films you thought you'd hate

the original “the bicycle thief”.
“il postino” with the pablo neruda stuff.
“painted faces” the HK film of the childhood of samo huang and jackie chan (?) in an old style acrobat troupe in the 60’s.

i have found that many times, not expecting to like a film lowers my expectations thereof. when you ain’t expecting much and get more than it, you kinda come out ahead.

i absolutely dreaded going into “sister act” but afterwards was really glad i saw it.

I hear you. Ever since I discovered rottentomatoes.com, I’ve gotten into the habit of always checking the tomato meter before deciding whether to see a film or not. While you can’t really go wrong with a 95% fresh rating, the high expectation, more often than not, reduces one’s enjoyment of the movie. So I guess one should, every once in a while, just see a movie that you instinctively want to see and not bother with the reviews or even the plot, for that matter. There’s something to be said for tabula rasa.

Yes, I get it.
If you are stationed somewhere like Fluffy, trapped…like on a oil platform in the North Sea or in prison and they want to show Lassie, then you watch.

Yow! And the implication says I made the right choice. What kind of a mate would demand that you go to a film that she (or he) knew you would probably not like? I could drag my partner to see The Last Samurai although I know that she loathes Tom Cruise like a cancer (and she could understand the Japanese parts), but I would never ask her (I did, but she knew it was a joke).
And furthermore, if I was told I had to accompany someone (“I really want you to come with me”) to say, Moulin Rouge, I’d flat refuse. (OK, if it meant I’d get laid by some fantastic babe, I’d go.)

Now having earned another notch in the grumpy belt, I would say that there are movies that I expected to like a little but ended up liking very much, like Something’s Gotta Give, for example.

Listen to me now and hear me later. I have come from the future. You will come with me to see Gigli, yah.

Hasta la Vista, baby