Films you thought you'd hate

Well, Spiderman gave me the idea for this thread. I was dreading seeing another cartoon making it to the big screen. I sat through Scooby Poo recently. But Spidey was a laugh riot. I thought I would hate it but… I LOVED IT!
So, which films have left you feeling pleasantly surprised, as you thought they would be rubbish?

Gangs of New York: I thought I’d hate it. I hated it. When a director can assemble such a talented cast and still fail to provide any reason to keep watching, it’s time to quit directing.

Love Actually. Was dragged reluctantly to see it last night and laughed out loud – often. Bill Nighy is priceless!
Its mindless fluff, but GOOD mindless fluff. Just what was needed at the end of another rainy miserable day.
I recommend it.

Little Man Tate

Also got dragged into seing ‘Love Actually’ and liked it a lot, very funny and even Hugh Grant didn’t spoil it (who was one of the main reasons for my initial refusal). I second Sandman’s recommendation therefore.

OK Rascal, Billy Mack quotes?

TV Presenter: (admonishing the ageing rock star for writing a rude comment on a poster of his boy-band rivals in the battle for the Christmas No. 1) “Careful Billy, there’s kids watching this show.”

Billy: “Oh, OK. Right. Listen to your Uncle Bill, kids. DON’T BUY DRUGS! Become a rock star and people give 'em to you – free!”

George of the Jungle

Billy Mack’s inanity definitely added to the film. I was reluctant to go see it too, but that was just because I wanted to see Gothika.

One film that surprised me was “Road Trip”. I saw that Tom Green (ugh!) was in it and I totally bypassed it until after watching a movie, I got lazy about flipping the channel when it started. Very funny, even Tom Green’s role. Same thing with The Truman Show and Jim Carrey.

This is the weirdest thread.
I would never go to a movie or rent a DVD of a film that I thought would be bad. Therefore, I could never say, “I thought I was not going to like this movie, but did.”
Who would go to a movie that they thought they wouldn’t like?
“Hey, honey! There’s that new movie that I probably won’t like at all showing tonight. It’s got that actor I hate and it’s a musical, which I loath. Let’s watch it!”
Very strange. :unamused:

being john malkovich.

i LOVED Being John Malkovich, and Adaptation.

I thought I’d hate Kill Bill for some reason even though EVERY QT film is a work of genius. Because I thought I’d hate it tis why I gushed on about it and have watched it twice over and can’t wait for Vol 2, which shouldn’t have Japanese bits in it as she faces Masden, Hannah and Carradine, and thus will be watchable on Taiwan big screens come April.

Just the opposite for me: I thought I’d love it but didn’t.

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]This is the weirdest thread.
I would never go to a movie or rent a DVD of a film that I thought would be bad. Therefore, I could never say, “I thought I was not going to like this movie, but did.”
“Hey, honey! There’s that new movie that I probably won’t like at all showing tonight. It’s got that actor I hate and it’s a musical, which I loath. Let’s watch it!”
Very strange. :unamused:[/quote]

When I was in college, I was poor and lonely and there was only one theater in town that showed movies for 1.50US$. And before that I lived on several overseas USAF bases where there was only one theater. So sometimes it’s a choice between sitting home in your underwear or taking a chance on a dubious film. Plus, I like to be surprised.

[quote=“Richardm”]sometimes it’s a choice between sitting home in your underwear or taking a chance on a dubious film. Plus, I like to be surprised.[/quote]So you didn’t see many movies ?

Vroomfondel

Obviously all those who responded to the question.

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]This is the weirdest thread.
Very strange. :unamused:[/quote]You’re not married then ?

I didn’t expect to like Alive. After all, it’s a film based on the true story of people who were forced to eat their dead in order to stay alive. But it’s a beautiful movie – probably better seen on the big screen.

I got to experience it in something similar to Sensurround because the theater, which was slowly going out of business, had evidently decided to save on costs by not turning on the heat even though it was freezing outside.

Hence, the name.

You probably just liked Ethan Hawke.
I remember they played that on a bus to the airport once.
How gauche!

[quote]I didn’t expect to like Alive. After all, it’s a film based on the true story of people who were forced to eat their dead in order to stay alive. …
I got to experience it in something similar to Sensurround…[/quote]
The sound of crunching human flesh rippling through the theater, up through your seat, into the very pit of your stomach…cool.

Wolfy, its not that much of a weird thread. I have to defend it as i started it… I studied film at university, so there are often films which, to me, have a premise which sounds truly rotten, or an actor which i cant stomach (Stand up Nicholas Cage) but it still wont stop me watching it. Do you stay home on rainy days, cos you know you will get wet, or what? Take a chance man, it just might turn out for the best.