Finally moving back to Taiwan (Noel update)

Yes. Sadly, I applied and was refused. Not my proudest moment.

1 Like

Christ. Always such confidence on every topic. How fortunate for Forumosa that we have such a successful entrepreneur to provide solid guidance spanning such a broad range of business sectors. :roll:

I know of a few foreigners who have apparently done pretty well for themselves starting food and beverage companies here. Another friend was talking last night about his plans to open one early next year. There are risks involved, of course, but the person would need to consider those themselves.

7 Likes

Do you build them or work to drive traffic towards them as well?

Both parents have to work in Taiwan to save anything, in my opinion. Unless you have some investments supplementing income. I hate cars too.

Some would say it’s the money, environment and culture that keep them away from Taiwan.

It’s all just a matter of perspectives and if it’s right for you, then go for it!

Wish you the best and hope it works out.

1 Like

We don’t need to save anything. We are good on that front.

Ultimately it is a matter of lifestyle. We will see how much we need to live a life we consider comfortable. As I have said before, we live a frugal lifestyle, and are generally happy with that. We could dip into our investments if required, but would rather not for the most part.

2 Likes

Don’t limit yourself to just a business based in taiwan.

An idea just popped into my head but you’ll have to see how viable it is. Maybe you can do e-commerce on security stuff? It’s related to your work. You know, tactical belts, things like that using manufacturing based in Asia. Vietnam now is the spot but you can also utilize taiwan as well.

1 Like

Awesome idea. This is the sort of thing I need to explore. I’m not sure about the e-commerce side of things, though. Most Police and Paramedic services (in North America at least) get their belts, etc., supplied by their employers through large contracts. There are also security companies as well though. But I do like this line of thinking. Any more ideas feel free to pm me.

Yes, I do technical SEO which is sufficient for most small companies, but I don’t write blogs or articles or anything that requires marketing or writing skills.

1 Like

I was thinking for private security. I believe there are actually forums for people in that sector that are into that kind of stuff? Things like tactical and security boots with this crowd seems like a huge deal. It makes sense for people who needs to patrol and be on their feet.

1 Like

I know. I meant survive in the first couple of years before he can start his business, without dipping into his investments.

1 Like

I will need to look into that for sure. Thanks for the idea.

Curious how this is going. How many hours a day is your wife teaching him? How do you handle socialization?

Warning, the price of everything has gone up since your last visit.
Still relatively cheap place to live though, especially the south.

Currently it is going very well. Right now, my wife is working and I am the teacher. I end up teaching him around 2 hours per day total. And funny enough, we cover pretty much what we need to. It shows how much nonsense busy work there is in public schools. He also does video editing, animation, and other things that he is interested in.

He socializes as much as he wants or needs to. Finding real friends can be difficult, especially since we havent really had a solid home base in the last 2 years. That, and everyone seems entrenched in their sports activities, etc, and are not really motivated to meet new people (adults and kids!!). Hopefully other homeschoolers in Taiwan will be a bit more motivated to meet up - we are.already in contact with a few.

2 Likes

Hi. Here is the CPA I recommend and use. He speaks English. Rates are reasonable.

I am happy to eat with anyone against dog-nutter culture :grin:

1 Like

Does this mean I can’t join with my dog-in-a-baby-stroller in tow? :rofl:

Guy

1 Like

That sounds great - ideal in fact. Get the necessary stuff out of the way, and on to things he wants to learn.

How do you ensure he’s keeping on track with his expected grade level - do you do any standardizing testing?

May I ask, with whom?

I guess in each country/city there’s a community of homeschoolers who all socialize their kids together. Wonder if you’ve been doing that.

many Parks and Recreation programs in cities have sports activities during the day during the school year. They are typically geared for home-schoolers to socialize and have PE-type or art-type classes

1 Like

How so? For small business operators.

https://www.moeasmea.gov.tw/article-en-2618-7911