Finasteride & Minoxidil

Minoxidol taken as oral tablet (low dose) is supposed to be more effective and cheaper to restart hair growth.

From an article in the New York Times:

“Minoxidil has to be converted to an active form by sulfotransferase enzymes (Sulfotransferase activity in plucked hair follicles predicts response to topical minoxidil in the treatment of female androgenetic alopecia - PubMed) that may or may not be present in sufficient quantities in hair roots. When the drug is taken orally, it is automatically converted to an active form.”

Generic topical Minoxidil is available in both Watson’s and Cosmed for around 900NT for 60ml bottles, which should last about a month.

Is it even possible to find minoxidil in Taiwan in oral forms?

oral finasteride and topical minoxidil are the only two FDA approved medications for treatment of alopecia. However, efficacy of utilizing both forms of treatment are often not satisfactory. long term use of oral Finasteride may correlate with decreased libido and other sexual side effects. Internet search finasteride and erectile dysfunction to learn more about its effect and testosterone receptors. Hair transplant or wearing a hair piece may be more effective method to combat alopecia.

1 Like

I’m not even sure it’s possible to get oral minoxidil at all, especially if it’s not FDA approved for that.

I’m not sure what will happen if you try squirting the topical stuff into your mouth.

Do micro needling and minoxidil. It’s shown to work for non responders of minoxidil only.

I use derminator 2 for micro needling. I don’t use minoxidil as I don’t need it but micro needling along has kept my hair full at 31.

Here’s an excellent discussion on treatment with Peter Attia. At 1:52 time stamp.

Reviving this thread unfortunately :cry:

Was anyone able to find Topical Finasteride 0.25% and Minoxidil 5% combined solution?

It’s relatively easy to get topical Minoxidil but I can’t find Topical Finasteride in Taiwan. Even just Topical Finasteride alone would be helpful. This is easily available in US, UK and India but not here.

Topical Fin has much lesser effect on serum DHT levels and much lesser side effects, and recent studies have proven it to be just as effective

Just get 1 mg fin, a pestle and mortar, smash it up, and mix it with the minoxidil.

I took finasteride for many years and stopped taking them half a year ago because I went on vacation, then noticed my hair stopped falling out so I’ve been off them since. I still have 2-3 cartons of them left over (good for 2-3 months) that I can give away if someone needs them. Not sure if it’s due to less stress (I stopped caring about work), diet, age or something else.

I’d love them. I could swing by now on my scooter, are you in Taipei?

Want to drop a pin to a 7 close to you or MRT Station?

1 Like

I’ll message

Would love to share them with @chabuduo111 . Maybe we could split 50-50?

1 Like

Finasteride is only helpful if your baldness is caused by androgenic alopecia. It’s possible you were losing hair due to other factors like you mentioned, but in those cases finasteride probably didn’t help much

1 Like

Let me confirm how much is left after work. I’ve been eating plenty of pumpkin seeds, krill oil, biotin shampoo and stopped being a workaholic, so any of those factors might have helped.

It looks like some of my boxes are partially used, so I’ll keep them for myself and will give an unused one to @chabuduo111. Or if you want some to experiment with (@DunderMifflin) making into topical cream I can give you a partially used box. They expire in 2026/06/12 and were manufactured in 2023/06/13

Ahh gotcha. It’s alright then. No need to experiment hehe

any update on topical fin to get here in TW?

I was prescribed both oral Minoxidil and Finasteride by my dermatologist in the US. I recently relocated to Kaohsiung and have run out of the Finasteride and am getting low on the Minoxidil. I saw in a previous discussion that some people were able to buy oral Finasteride (Finaspro) in Taipei. However, the discussion is dated. I called a few pharmacies in Kaohsiung and they do not carry it so I was wondering if it’s only available up north or have the laws changed that you now need a prescription for it. Also, has anyone been able to get oral Minoxidil without a prescription?

Make sure to ask for similar meds with same ingredients. My experience, in both Taipei and Kaohsiung, was that each pharmacy carries random brands of the same drug. Only the"high end" brands would potentially be the same across more of the pharmacies.