Finasteride & Minoxidil

I’m about to start taking or using these two supplements for hairloss. I’d rather topical than oral. The only place I’ve seen topical is online.

My question: do any of you fine people use them, if so, where do you buy them? Have any of you found them in Taipei? How much do they cost? Are there different options for buying? Is it safe to buy offline if they’re not available over-the-counter?

Feel free to add any info to this topic. The more the merrier!

I tried monoxidil and it doesn’t work for me at all.

I think finasteride works better but know that it will mess up your hormones.

Both are extremely expensive in Taiwan.

1 Like

Following in the hope that these work retroactively.

3 Likes

I use finasteride. I think it works but I also feel like I have less energy these days so I may stop using it

1 Like

Also ways to get them cheaply in Taiwan, because all pharmacies sell them at such a high price. Last I heard a month supply for either one would run you at least 3000. In the states you can get it much cheaper online, like I was able to get kirkland brand for about 15 USD per month supply.

Maybe iherb has them?

These are a bit like melatonin, very expensive in Taiwan for some reason.

1 Like

Yes, that’s ideal. A small bottle of Rogaine from Watsons or Cosmed is expensive, here.

hey did you find a topical solution online? if so can you let me know where you bought? i can’t find any and i don’t want to make my own formulation at home. thanks

If you use minoxidil, I highly recommend also micro needling. Studies have been very positive in the synergy of both. It’s basically a 1+1=3 when you use both.

If you’re not a responder to minoxidil on its own, it seems doing both has been positive for non responders.

I use micro needling on its own and my hair is fantastic.

I tried Kirkland’s minoxidil and it didn’t really work after 6 months of use. I used that brand because in the US (at least) it was the cheapest, costing about 15 dollars for a 1 month supply. Seems in Taiwan minoxidil of any brand is a minimum of 1500nt per month.

1 Like

Finaspro is a local generic brand, you can shop around different pharmacies, cheapest I found was 550 for 30 tablets, 1mg each, take one a day

1 Like

Is it written ‘finaspro’ or in Chinese? Do you have a location :round_pushpin: of where you got it?

It’s written finaspro. They may need to order them, 550 each. This one is available at most stores but I’ve seen 550-1100 pricing for 30 tablets

1 Like

I pay 650 NTD for 30 tablets of 1 mg finasteride, here. They also gave me a box for free when I bought 3 boxes.

To do the math, quickly:

1 box: 650 NTD

3 boxes: 650 x 3 =1950 NTD

4 boxes (1 free) = 1950 NTD

4 divides by 1950 = 487.5

So, finally.

1 box of 1 mg finasteride = 487.5 NTD

1 Like

By the way does finasteride work, and does it cause impotence?

Depends what you mean by ‘work’.

Its main function is to stop or slow hairloss. It has worked fantastically, for me. Millions of people having been taking it over decades.

Try it yourself. 1 mg daily for 3 months (you won’t notice much difference to you hair under 3 months).

You can also assess if it causes any problems with your dick. I’ve read of terrible symptoms online of having no libido, a soft dick, no cum etc etc.

I’ve not had any noticeable side effects, so far. And as I said, millions of people have been taking this for decades.

If after a month you don’t notice side effects, you’re good to go. If you do, stop taking it. Simple.

Take note of what dosage you were taking & the side effects you noticed. Consult a doctor or roll back on the dosage & try again.

I’ve tried monixidil and it does nothing.

Hair on the crown of my head is mostly gone except for very sparse hair that seems to fall out a lot, and gets to about 2 inches long at most.

I’m sure finasteride will stop that from getting worse but I don’t think it will ever get my hair back to childhood thickness or whatever…

I’ve also heard reports that when someone takes finasteride, stopped their libido doesn’t come back.

It’s weird that most hair loss drugs are essentially blood pressure meds, and that for some reason it slows hair loss. That and it really doesn’t seem like we know that much about what causes male pattern baldness, just that it happens.

When I first came back from the states back in 2003 or whatever, hair loss meds of any kind costs no less than 3000 a month, regardless of brands.

There are 3 levers you can pull. If you do all 3, you’ll have a good head of hair. It’s rare that someone can do all 3 (properly) & not see results.

1. Stop the hairless. Finasteride. Start on .5 mg then 1 mg if it doesn’t stop. Try in increments of .5, daily.

2. Re-grow the hair. Minoxidil in combination with microneedling & ketoconazole shampoo.

3. Hair transplant.

If you do all 3 of these, there’s hardly any chance you wouldn’t have a much better head of hair. Almost impossible.

These 3 work. That’s close to a fact. The issue is, can you commit, are you willing to try & endure the potential (most likely won’t get any) side effects, & will you do it properly.

If so, they’ll work.

If not, don’t even bother & shave your head.

Yea, I’ll do that whenever I win the lottery or something.

I can probably go for finasteride but hair transplant is extremely expensive.

I can’t comment on whether it causes impotence since I don’t have sex, but it can cause your man boobs to grow larger.

The adverse side effects can be very serious. It’s not clear how prevalent PFS (post-finesteride syndrome) is but I sure wouldn’t want to find out first hand. Look before you leap.
You can start here:

https://www.pfsfoundation.org/about-pfs-post-finasteride-syndrome/