Finding a job in Taiwan from Canada-please offer some advice

Hi everyone, I’m from Canada and I want to go to Taiwan for work abroad.

Do you think it’s better to start applying for jobs from Canada or ONLY when I get to Taiwan?

Is it hard to find a job in Taiwan?

I’m having a little trouble with the resume and cover letter. Should I be typing it in English or Chinese or both?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!!

My advice would be to get a job when you get here. Then you can see the school and talk to the person you would work for face to face. I have heard of too many people who got bum deals when arranging it from their home countries.

There are a lot of jobs here.

Hi Lo Bo To, thanks for your advice. If I was to apply for other jobs and to a Chinese place though, should I type my resume in Chinese or English? Any suggestions?

English for sure. Often schools don’t want someone who speaks Chinese.

You don’t want to teach, is that what you mean? What sort of job would you be looking for? I’m sure your resume would be accepted in English, but appreciated all the more if in Chinese.

You don’t want to teach, is that what you mean? What sort of job would you be looking for? I’m sure your resume would be accepted in English, but appreciated all the more if in Chinese.[/quote]

hmm…i don’t know, are you teaching? how do you find the teaching experience? is it easy to find a teaching job? I was hoping I can find something in my field, hypnosis, but I’m aware it won’t be the easiest thing. That’s why I was wondering if the bosses of those firms are Chinese, should I type Chinese or English or both or if I should apply in person or what?

An educated assessment of the situation would more or less tell you if you should submit your resume in English or Chinese…i.e. if you want to apply as an English school teacher in Taiwan, of course you would submit it in English…if you are applying to an international corporation, English would be the language of choice I would presume…I am sure one of the assets of people who come to work in Taiwan is the fact that they have a solid English background…of course you want to present this in front of your potential employers…if you are applying to work at the local supermarket as a cashier, I would submit my resume in Chinese because I doubt the supermarket manager is goin’ to care if you know English and probably won’t even know how to read it himself…keeping both an English version of your resume, as well as a Chinese version, is very helpful…you can always produce your Chinese resume on demand to show that you are committed to living on the island and have made an effort to make it convenient for them to understand your credentials…

In terms of having to come here to find a job in person, you see…that ALSO DEPENDS ON WHAT KIND OF JOB YOU ARE LOOKING FOR…many international corporations here who want to recruit foreign talent will most likely have phone interviews and have an HR department that is setup to deal with this type of recruitment…i.e., TSMC has a website where you can post your resume and look through their job offerings…if you are applying to be an English teacher, there are enough posts in the Forumosa classifieds for you to submit a few resumes, conduct a few phone interviews, and when you have a handful of schools that say they are interested in you, maybe fly into Taiwan for a few days for a face-to-face interview and to see your work environment in person…if you want to be a cashier at the local Wellcome supermarket, I CAN GUARANTEE to you 100% that they won’t even consider you unless you are talking to them face to face…so it ALL DEPENDS…

Finally, it appears you do not seem to know WHAT exactly you want to do in Taiwan…most people who come to Taiwan have a general idea/gameplan…i.e. I want to go to Taiwan to teach English because there is a strong demand for English teachers…I want to go to Taiwan to work in Hsinchu because there is a strong semiconductor/high-tech need in Taiwan…you seem to be asking around as if “any” job will do…this is just not going to work…unless you are a Taiwanese citizen and can speak Mandarin very well, you will most likely NOT find a job in Taiwan unless it has need of your English/foreign skills…

You don’t want to teach, is that what you mean? What sort of job would you be looking for? I’m sure your resume would be accepted in English, but appreciated all the more if in Chinese.[/quote]

hmm…I don’t know, are you teaching? how do you find the teaching experience? is it easy to find a teaching job? I was hoping I can find something in my field, hypnosis, but I’m aware it won’t be the easiest thing. That’s why I was wondering if the bosses of those firms are Chinese, should I type Chinese or English or both or if I should apply in person or what?[/quote]

I don’t know what your problem is. All you have to do is; go to the interview, hypnotise the interviewer and tell them to give you a job with a huge salary. No brainer really.
Unless, of course, hypnosis doesn’t really work?

Maple tapping season here is from late February through early April. I suggest you bring your own hammer as the Taiwanese brands tend to have shorter handles resulting in many foreign tappers hitting themselves in the head with their own hammers. Since you’re Canadian, you no doubt experienced this many times already before you bought a better made American hammer.

users2.ev1.net/~turton/teach_index.html has some interesting info.

Don’t we have a user on here who does hypnosis? Why don’t you ask him? I think it’s meiguolangren.

Interesting video here:

youtube.com/w/Wataru-.-.-.-e … h=hypnosis

From his website, briandavidphillips.com:

[quote]Welcome to Waking Dreams’s Focused Trance and Hypnosis Resources in Taiwan and Elsewhere webpage. I am Brian David Phillips, Ph.D., C.H. and I am a Focused Trance Guide, Certified Focused Trance Guide Instructor Trainer, Board Certified Hypnotist, Certified Hypnotherapist, Certified Hypnosis Instructor Trainer, and the Executive Director of the International Applied Experiential Trance Society.
If you are in the Taipei, Taiwan, area and would like to schedule a session with me or book a show or other hypnosis or trance-related event, feel free to email me. I can offer hypnotherapy, recreational, non-therapeutic, and performance entertainment hypnosis. Since I do not do hypnosis as a fulltime, my time (my duties at the university as an educator and researcher are my primary focus), energy, and resources are limited. Therefore, I will not work with everyone who asks. I reserve the right to decline to work with you or anyone else for whatever reasons. If I do decline to work with you, don’t take it personally. There are plenty of alternatives in Taipei (see below).[/quote]

[edited to add: video link contains semi-adult material – that’ll get the click rate up!]

hi thanks everyone, good info. really appreciated.