Finding a place to live during the pandemic

Kind of tired of people expecting explanations but barely bothered to ask nicely.

Wha?

just imagine hearing the sound of the doors opening 24/7, 365

I’d never live in a building with a 7 on the ground floor.

1 Like

My comment was about meheshi where you have a 15 or maybe 10 minute walk to get to a 7-11. Taipei standards that’s a marathon. :laughing:

1 Like

Use those financial resources for a down payment here.

And he managed to add 2 “apartments” where they are renting out rooms, not the whole place. :laughing:

Aside from the fact that it is not that easy as he needs a place like yesterday, and that would imply selling his own beachfront property in Europe…

why would anyone sell their own place abroad for an overpriced unit in Taiwan where China will take it off your hands and kick you out?

I said means to make a living, not throwing blue bills out the window.

For starters.

Beachfront property in Europe? Why exactly is this guy in Taiwan???

5 Likes

It’s actually not that expensive in many parts of Europe. It’s not California we are talking about.

Sure. Just thinking if you had the choice between living in a beachfront property in Europe and a mouldy 12 ping pet-friendly apartment with prison bar windows in East Sanchong, which one would you choose.

4 Likes

Well that’s obvious. Lots of us don’t have that binary choice though.
But I would be aiming for the beach one in the medium to long term!!!
And right about now if I could do it!

The rooftop apartment, obviously…

1 Like

You make it sound like living in a mouldy 12ping flat is the only choice in Taiwan.

If there’s one thing that I would “sacrifice”, it’s the elevator. If you are in your 50s, and not in a wheelchair, it should take you one minute of moderate exercise to walk up 5 flights of stairs. Exercise is good, right? And it means that you won’t pay NT$1,000/month for the elevator. AND you might even save on a gym membership!
FYI- East Sanchong is the nicest part of Sanchong. They get the lovely views to the east… over the lovely Danshui River looking at scenic Taipei. It’s like Wanhua at a discount.

3 Likes

I’m 56 and my hubby is 67. We walk 4 flights to our apartment plus one more to the rooftop. We don’t mind it because it’s an older building that has a larger space and just 5 other families to deal with. It is good exercise.
The only problem is Costco shopping. You won’t buy too much if you have to carry it 4 flights.
Besides Costco shopping, there could be other very valid reasons for needing an elevator not dependent on age.

4 Likes

This caught my attention. I don’t have a problem with the stairs other than the fact I have a lot of gear I sometimes need to move in and out to do audio/video jobs. I was going to build a nice desk at a friend’s house and it was on the roof - 6 flights. I carried my heavy tool bag up and realized carrying all of the material up there to build the desk would be a real real job. Not only that but someone would have to keep an eye on everything while I humped up and down the stairs carrying heavy things.

Exercise is good.
Elevators are good.

1 Like

Stairs + baby + stroller + toddlers = elevator wins hands down.

3 Likes

or just having a cat: consider wet food and a steady stream of litter (not to mention, sometimes, the entire animal). i did it on the 10th floor when i was in my mid-30s and after a few months the novelty wore off

2 Likes

Not at all! You can also rent an airy new built 120 ping flat in Das IF you sell a beachfront property in Europe.

Guys, remember we are guests here no matter how long we live here. Even with nationality.

Therefore, you do not burn all your bridges. And I bet youse saying sell the property abroad still have a nice nest egg/retirement fund in your own countries of origin.

I can think of many reasons one person would prefer to live in Taiwan rather than a beachfront. Personally, my skin can’t take it.

But wanting to live here does not mean wanting to live in a moldy deathtrap. Or hiking every time you go to 711. The key word in Taiwan is convenience.

4 Likes