Finding a teaching job being Black

Are there any Black people on this forum? I’m a Black American trying to find a job in Taiwan. I’ve tried Japan, no luck, so I’m trying Taiwan as the next best choice. Is there any way to overcome my Blackness, or should I just throw in the towel? I’m not in Taiwan yet, and I don’t want to fly all the way there and not find a job since I don’t have that kind of money.

So far, I’ve applied to about two dozen jobs that I found on Tealit as well as HESS. Absolutely none of them have gotten back to me.

I had a Black coworker at Kojen in Kaoshiung a few years back, so it’s possible. She was a far better teacher than i ever was :whistle: Prejudice might be working against you. Might be a bit rough finding work in Taipei since the demand for teachers seems to be low :ponder:

I think it’s your approach to finding work. The thing with tealit is all the jobs advertised want you to be in the country and lots of people apply on there. You can either use a recruiter or get your bum to Taiwan and hand out CV to school, if you don’t get anything permanent you can easily find subbing work to keep alive for a while.

Although I am pink myself, I have had a few black friends on the island who found rewarding jobs as teachers. It wasn’t easy, as they faced many prejudices and greater scrutiny than non native-speakers with relatively less melanin. Many employers will hesitate to hire teachers with dark skin (whether because of personal prejudices or their assumptions regarding the prejudices of students’ parents), but others will welcome any teacher that has the skills, passion, and patience required to teach ESL learners. I have known employers of both varieties and, based on my experiences, can suggest that:

a) you attach your photo to your resume. This will reduce the “shock” when you show up for the interview with (potentially) racist pigs. It is the same strategy that I, as a prematurely balding and moderately obese gentleman, use to “weed out” employers who are only looking for blonde-haired, blue-eyed pixies.

b) go the extra mile. You can prepare a teaching demo video, professional-looking resume/reference letters, and submit sample lesson plans to potential employers. Most reasonable bosses will chose the most qualified candidate, and the extra touches can be influential.

c) use every resource available and apply to as many schools as possible. My African friend applied to many schools and eventually found one that was such a “good fit” that he has been there for more than seven years. Search online sites, possibly with the help of friends who are proficient in Mandarin, and look for “sub” jobs where you can have the chance to win over the boss and gain a permanent position.

Despite the existence of sporadic racist and the relative scarcity of jobs, I truly believe that a qualified candidate can find a job.

Well, I’m looking to get my feet wet, so to speak, in ESL. I have been sending my picture as well to reduce shock (and I think that it has also reduced my job prospects in both Taiwan and Japan). I have gotten a handful of interviews from Japan, but no luck landing a job. I think that it’s time to terminate efforts.

Just got the automated “no N*****s” from Hess.

That’s surprising. I worked at Hess and one of the few positive things that would be said about the company was that it hired people of all races. That was a few years ago so it seems things have changed drastically if they gave you that response.

As far as black teachers on the forum, there were quite a few of us once but the ones I knew of (including me) have since left Taiwan.

Minorities will probably have more luck working in smaller places with tighter budgets than they will at large places where they can afford to be racist. I work at a small place. They took literally all comers to interview.

You shouldn’t feel so bad about yourself being discriminated against. Multiple news sources (and it’s been posted on this forum too) document that people in Asian countries discriminate against foreign born people of Asian descent (e.g. Asian Americans) worse than they do against other minority groups (e.g. Black, Latino). People who are mixed with Asian heritage (e.g. Asian/ white) have it even worse.

I thought they loved “rappers” and Obama in Japan? Seriously.

As a Taiwanese American, I apologize for some of the more prejudice behaviors by some Taiwanese people. I have mentioned before on the forum, many Taiwanese are not aware this kind of prejudice is wrong since it isn’t a social topic, people just aren’t as educated in this area.

But there are also plenty of Taiwanese who aren’t prejudice douches, and like other posters said, I’ve seen black Americans working as teachers, so just keep looking, and good luck.

Okay, to talk about this topic seriously… in my 5+ years as an English teacher on this island, I’ve had one Black American co-worker who was just a normal teacher like everyone else… then, at another buxiban, I had one Black African co-worker who was the head teacher paid on salary (not hourly)… but then, at another kindergarten, they interviewed this Black American who they thought was great, but they didn’t hire him solely because of his B.O.

I’ll tell ya… B.O. a bit of a problem with “foreigners” on this hot island. In Taiwanese society, normally only construction workers build up enough B.O. for it to be noticeable…

Really…5 years Shawn_c?

[quote=“shawn_c”]Okay, to talk about this topic seriously… in my 5+ years as an English teacher on this island, I’ve had one Black American co-worker who was just a normal teacher like everyone else… then, at another buxiban, I had one Black African co-worker who was the head teacher paid on salary (not hourly)… but then, at another kindergarten, they interviewed this Black American who they thought was great, but they didn’t hire him solely because of his B.O.

I’ll tell ya… B.O. a bit of a problem with “foreigners” on this hot island. In Taiwanese society, normally only construction workers build up enough B.O. for it to be noticeable…[/quote]

Ever take public transportation in Taipei during peak hours?

Obama fanaticism has declined. Tea Partyers and Republicans travel to Japan (and get to do many “ungodly” things too).

Rap is popular, but Blacks are not. It’s sorta the same way as it is in America, except that there are less overweight and desperate women in Japan, and few politically correct people putting up a facade as there is in the States.

The head recruiter at GEOS is a Black-American.

Oh trust me, Japan is just as racist. Aside from ‘blind’ programs like JET and Interac, you aren’t going to have much job in the public schools. Private, foreign run ones - maybe, especially the eikaiwa scene: but be expected to have people come from far and wide to see you. Especially in rural areas.

Obama and Will Smith are well known, but most parents here wouldn’t let their daughters date them!. On the other hand, a lot of my SHS students think African Americans are hot.

One of my good friends out here in rural Akita was Zulu and his schools were terrified of him. It was so bad that several parents requested that he not teach their kids. He looked very african: tall, shaved head, ritually ‘muti’ scarred face etc.

My other friend was a gigantic African American guy, but had lighter skin. His schools and town adored him.

[quote=“Starbird”]Oh trust me, Japan is just as racist. Aside from ‘blind’ programs like JET and Interac, you aren’t going to have much job in the public schools. Private, foreign run ones - maybe, especially the eikaiwa scene: but be expected to have people come from far and wide to see you. Especially in rural areas.

Obama and Will Smith are well known, but most parents here wouldn’t let their daughters date them!. On the other hand, a lot of my SHS students think African Americans are hot.

One of my good friends out here in rural Akita was Zulu and his schools were terrified of him. It was so bad that several parents requested that he not teach their kids. He looked very african: tall, shaved head, ritually ‘muti’ scarred face etc.

My other friend was a gigantic African American guy, but had lighter skin. His schools and town adored him.[/quote]

Absolutely! That’s the way it is in East Asia; really, all over the world!

The most popular line used by Asians being racist towards black people, especially mom-types, is that they are scared… like the Japanese parents mentioned above. what’s to be scared of?

I mean I did get scared when I used to pump gas alone late at night at random gas stations and some built as a truck black dude charged across the street to ask for money. But if it was some built as a truck white dude or a bunch of Asian dudes charging at me to ask for money late at night I’d be equally scared. Just what’s so scary about some dude teaching your kid English?

[quote=“hansioux”]The most popular line used by Asians being racist towards black people, especially mom-types, is that they are scared… like the Japanese parents mentioned above. what’s to be scared of?

I mean I did get scared when I used to pump gas alone late at night at random gas stations and some built as a truck black dude charged across the street to ask for money. But if it was some built as a truck white dude or a bunch of Asian dudes charging at me to ask for money late at night I’d be equally scared. Just what’s so scary about some dude teaching your kid English?[/quote]

Blacks don’t exactly have a clean criminal record as a race (neither do Whites, but Whites have power so when they do it it’s called conquest or heroics). I would appreciate greater honesty though. They ought to just say that they want handsome blonde-haired, blue-eyed Aryans to teach their kids English and enjoy their women, not ugly Blacks. There’s no political correctness there to hide their true feelings like in America anyway.

A lot of it has to do with mixing and beauty standards. Light skin and features are considered beautiful; Black is not. Nobody really wants to have half-Black grandkids; they are not considered beautiful, will have less opportunities in society, and will bring shame to the family. Half-White means having at least part of White privilege, being beautiful, and bringing honor to the family.