Finding a Teaching job or any job for that matter in Taiwan

Hello everyone I have 10 years experience teaching in South Korea and CHina but would like to make my way to Taiwan now that restrictions have been lifted. I am currently in America who can I speak to to find the best teaching opportunities in Taiwan. I have a TEFL and a Masters degree. Looking for something that isn’t more than 20 hours a week less the better as I would like to have some free time to focus more on my photography business.

Take a chance and come over here to pound the pavement.

2 Likes

I don’t know if it’s still popular, but I found my first teaching job on tealit. At least you can look through the site and get an idea of what’s out there. But after that I’d do what @flatlander suggests and come visit and check out places in person before committing.

2 Likes

I got my job through a Facebook group for English teaching jobs in Taiwan

Here’s a possibility for those who don’t wish to teach. Mods, please put this job vacancy announcement in the appropriate place if this spot isn’t suitable.

Good luck candidates!

Full-time English Editor Position

More details here.

1 Like

Seemed like a pretty interesting job I was going to recommend that my sister apply, until I read this:

能承擔時效壓力並配合加班

Nope. :joy:

1 Like

Well, at least they were upfront and honest about having overtime. That‘s better than saying that there is no overtime and then slowly hammering you with overtime!

One thing they did not indicate clearly or not is if there would be any extra compensation for overtime. I would have to assume there is no extra compensation.

“And unpaid overtime!”

Would not be a huge selling point.

While we’re on this topic, does anyone know if unpaid overtime is legal in Taiwan?

Back home in the US, I believe it’s only legal for salaried employees, but it seems everybody in Taiwan is a salaried employee even if they’re just doing minimum wage jobs.

Generally in the US it’s for salaried management or supervisory positions only that have unpaid overtime. But usually written clearly into the offer letter and stipulating when extra compensation kicks in.

In Taiwan, it’s “Your monthly salary is X and I can use you and abuse you until you quit!”

That’s depressing. :worried:

@Marco can you weigh in?

That’s a permanent vacancy just about. You’re working in “the bunker” down on Beiping E. Rd. Many people have got a start in Taiwan as an editor through that position.

Because of high turnover? Must be all the unpaid overtime.

Regular turnover would be fairer to say. It’s a two year tour of duty for most.

1 Like

That’s cool. Do you know if they usually only hire people who are already living here in Taiwan? Or will they consider overseas applicants?

You have to test onsite unfortunately. In fact it’s test onsite and then an interview in front of a panel of seven older Taiwanese males as I recall.

1 Like

tealit.com is a good place to start for newcomers. I secured my first job with Hess when I was living in America before I came to Taiwan and it worked out OK. After my first year I found another school and started learning the ups and downs of teaching. Everything is a good learning experience but you have to be here to get it.

Government job? Sounds like a good way to get acclimated.

Yeah it’s working on the Taiwan Panorama magazine mostly. Not sure why the opportunity has been so widely advertised this time. They’re also taking two candidates to go on a backup list. Maybe there’s been a lack of candidates due to the Covid.