Finding a US Job in Taiwan, as a Dual Citizen

Greetings,

To start, I’ve had quite a unique journey that has led me to an awkward spot of employment here in Taiwan. I’m a Taiwan-US citizen, and having spent nearly eight years in the US from mid-high school, I returned to Taiwan for mandatory military conscription. After completing the military service, my path veered towards the local job market where I dabbled in teaching before transitioning to managing IT and serving as an executive assistant in a small 10-person Taiwanese company.

I feel stuck, I’ve gathered a decent amount of experience in web development and IT, but my primary interest lies in junior sysadmin, red teaming, and security architect. However, for US companies establishing a foothold in Taiwan, roles relating to supply chain management or international communication would be more fitting for the current job market and could serve as an alternative path for me.

The crux of my situation is the disparity between my practical experience, formal education, and my unique circumstance as a Taiwan-US citizen looking for a US job in Taiwan. I dived into the workforce straight after high school, which seems to cast a long shadow over my resume, especially when stacked against degree-holders and those with experience, putting me in a catch-22 situation of trying to find US jobs in Taiwan. Yet, being a dual citizen and possessing a native fluency in both English and Mandarin (spoken), I believe I can offer a smooth transition for US-based companies looking to expand or operate here, sans the legal tangles of work permits.

Since the traditional job portals for US companies looking for hire in Taiwan seem to sweep my application under the rug due to the lack of a college degree or experience, I’m hitting a wall in finding the right channels to connect with US companies residing in Taiwan. Hence, I’m reaching out to see if anyone has navigated a similar path or has any insights on how to bridge this gap.

Are there specific recruitment agencies, or even networking events for US hires in Taiwan? Or perhaps there are US companies known for valuing practical experience over formal education here in Taiwan?

I’d appreciate any advice,
Alex

I’ve not found any real “job banks” in the US and that the only way for me to look for jobs there was to apply at individual companies for corporations (walmart and such), pass a bunch of personality tests, etc.

Taiwan has 104/1111 and such and is a portal for SME’s and corporations to post jobs. American companies in Taiwan would likely post there as well.

I’ve heard of using linked in and such, but they’ve been little more than spam at the moment, you might have better luck.

I’m a little confused though, are you looking for jobs from American companies in their Taiwan branch, or are you looking to move back to the US and wants to find jobs before you move back?

This may not solve your immediate problem, but how do you feel about getting a degree in your field of interest? There are many relatively cheap online programs from US or European universities.