Finding aftershave

Hi.
Previous threads on this died years ago and contain no answers to this question.

What do guys here use for alcohol-based aftershave? Don’t seem to be able to find them in stores like Carrefour or Poya. I can find them in Japan (Gatsby brand, usually), but not here.

Not looking for expensive cologne either; those have a different role. Just plain aftershave (with or w/o scent) to cool the irritation.

I’ve always used alcohol-based aftershave; it stings for a few seconds, but the skin irritation goes away immediately. I can’t stand the grease-based ones like Nivea Sensitive (which i did find in stores here). They clog open skin pores, ugh !

Thanks.

Most locals don’t prefer/need to use one. Some ppl claim to use perfume…

try coupang

1 Like

IIRC, I’ve seen Afta in PXMart (very old school American stuff).

1 Like

Thanks for reply. I’ll take a look. For general supermarkets i usually shop at Carrefour. The self-checkout machines take care of my spoken language barrier.

1 Like

I quit using aftershave years ago because the alcohol dries out the skin. Even though it’s highly promoted by the people selling it and feels good, doesn’t mean it’s the best for skin.

Now I just use lotion for the face or even baby lotion.

This stuff, although a cologne, is bloody brilliant. Very soothing after a close shave…well worth the price.
Angeli di Firenze (smnovella.com)

Patchouli After Shave Lotion (smnovella.com)

You’ll be fighting off the debutantes with sticks!

2 Likes

I’ve bought aftershave, shaving cream, and razors from here before:

2 Likes

Throw caution to the wind and pick one! https://shopee.tw/search?keyword=須後水

Can someone educate me why is aftershave used? I shave but I never use anything but washing it with soap and water, and I use soap as shaving cream.

Here you go:

https://www.google.com/search?q=why+is+aftershave+used&pws=0&gl=us&gws_rd=cr

Soap isn’t shaving cream. It’s just soap, and generally less lubricating than shaving cream. You could also shave with just a dry razor, but it’ll be quite irritating to the skin.

4 Likes

https://www.google.com/search?q=why+is+aftershave+used

4 Likes

It works well for me and I don’t get any irritation or cuts from it, but I don’t have thick facial hairs either.

It’s funny I ask for experience I get rebuffed.

It’s not “you” per se. Well, it is on here because you do it all the time, but it’s a general internet thing.

If someone can’t be bothered putting in the bare minimum of effort to educate themselves, spending 15-20 seconds of their time to Google a simple question that’s fairly common knowledge, why would they expect others to put in much more time than that to type out answers? It’s lazy and disrespectful to the time of other people, IMO.

4 Likes

Your wax was starting to wear off so it was time to re-buff you.

4 Likes

Check Shoppee or Momo. I use Taylor of Old Bond Street, but you may be able to find Proraso and others as well. If you’re unsure of how the fragrance will smell, you may have to research it on English-speaking shaving forums.

1 Like

Exactly. Which is why we should use alcohol-based, not grease-based aftershave. If disinfects, cleans and closes the skin pores. Alcohol evaporates quickly, so those with dry skin can apply a lotion afterwards, once the pores are closed. Applying grease to skin with open pores will just clog them and prevent skin breathing. yuck!

you shouldn’t apply a grease-base product to your skin while the pores are still open from shaving. You can apply a lotion after the pores have closed, which is faster with an alcohol-based aftershave. It also kills bacteria trying to penetrate the skin.

true this. Can’t understant how an island of 23 million has no takers for a commonly used product. I have to get a bottle from overseas every time.

Pre-electric shave, liquid, oil, powder, etc. also impossible to find.

High-end department stores probably have it in the men’s section of the makeup department but I’m not looking for overpriced designer brand names of this particular product