Fine for Parallel Parking facing the traffic?

Cant get the sodding thing apart. Taken all the visible nuts bolts and screws off, removed the pulley in a vice, levered, shook, swore and finally put a 2-jaw puller on it. Slight gap between the case halves but still stuck. I could apply more force with the puller, and may have to, but I have a feeling I’m missing something and will break something,

The internyet is awash with videos that show alternators coming apart easily. Anyone know any tricks (hidden gotcha screws, tabs, etc) for those that don’t?

I’m asking for mechanical advice on Forumosa’s Cars and Motorcycles forum in 2020, a measure of desperation.

1 Like

I have no clue what an alternator is, but a lot of problems can be resolved with the creativity that comes from having a few beers.

1 Like

Giving us a small clue as to what it came off might help.

In the absence of that data ~ I’m assuming the pulley key has been removed from the shaft and that the shaft is actually free to rotate?

Daihatsu Skywing. Pulley is off, Shaft rotates but has got sticky as the case halves were separated slightly, suggesting binding,

Have you removed the brushes?

Sorry, missed “key” in “pulley key”. You mean a Woodruff (?) kind of thing? Doesn’t have one AFAIK

Can’t see how to get to them, hence the percieved need to separate the case halves.

I suppose IF the rotor isn’t free within the stator/front case, (should be though, hence the attempt to get the front case off using a puller) and the brushes sit in a groove on the rear of the shaft, then they would effectively hold the whole thing together.

IF the brushers cant be retracted externally, though , you’d then have to break them to get it apart.

Hard to tell from the photo’s but my understanding it the back plate should be the one to come off and not try to push everything out from the front casing. I don’t see the earth terminal, has it already been removed?

My understanding (such as it is) is alternators earth through the casing and mounting bolts on a conventional negative-earth via the chassis setup, so I wouldnt necessarily expect a specific earth terminal, though I should probably read up on it some more.

The B post (to batt + IIRC) is visible top right. There a 2-pin socket in a recess in the lower right.

I’ve seen the suggstion on’t internyet (in the only acknowledgement I’ve found ANYWHERE that alternators are ever difficult to take apart) that heat might help. (hotplate? Hair dryer? Boil the fucking thing and make electric soup?) so I’ll try those.

https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=639322

Might also try vibration from a hammer drill with an aluminium rod in the chuck.

Well, heat and vibration didn’t seem to do anything, though maybe I didn’t try hard enough.

I then cranked up the puller on the front, pushing on the rotror shaft. That separated the case halves, but damaged the connections between the stator and the rear (I suppose rectifier pack), so I think I broke it as expected.

Alternator from sctapped car (which inevitably will have looked MUCH better than mine) finally came up and was 800NT. about 22 quid these days.

Fitted it this afternoon. Seems to work OK. MAYBE a bit of noise which MIGHT be bearing, or I’ve just got the belt tension wrong.

That location is unfortunately in the news at the moment so you may see it on TV, Lots of tidying going on to reduce potential lurking places.

Id better move it…