Fine for Parallel Parking facing the traffic?

Did this when I broke down earlier today, since the only parking spot was on the other side of the road and I didn’t think to push the car through a U-turn.

This is legal in the UK in daylight but illegal in darkness. Big fines.

The Internyet says its an offence in daylight in the US, so it probably is in Taiwan too. I’ll try and recover the car tomorrow. Seems to be a battery charging issue.

Anyone know the likely fine if I get nailed?

Really? Did not know this. I bet driving it straight in and slamming up the kerb into oncoming traffic at night is just fine though.

2 Likes

My experience leads me to believe a lot depends on location. Visible high traffic location will have higher probability than low traffic area of fine or towing

In Kaohsiung? Nahhh. Too mellow and too many parking spaces on the streets.

Thanks, better get a move on then.

What on earth is clockwise parking?

Also, I haven’t seen any of that joint effort mentioned in the last sentence.

Clockwise parking must be like clockwise platforms/trains. First noticed this usage maybe about 5 years ago on the newly opened Rende station.

Radical surgery at that time (maybe a tactical strike by carrier-based aircraft, using napalm) might have stopped it, but that would have required approval by the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Since then its metastased across the rail system and into other aspects of life.

I fear its now firmly embedded in the Chinglish manifestation of Taiwan culture and so is now immune to treatment by logic or conventional weapons.

Thinking about this kind of thing is dangerous for an expat, since it carries the risk that your brain will go native. We’ve all seen sad examples of what can happen if one has been here a long time and doesn’t maintain healthy levels of cultural aversion.

The closest I can get with trains is to think of the line as a very long thin Salvador Dali stylee clock face that has been stretched N-S. The “up” trains, going North, on the left side of a 2-track line, then correspond to the rising tips of the clock hands, “down” trains going South, on the right hand track, to the falling tips of the clock hands.

Unfortunately applying this um…Salvadorian Solution to a North-South roadway seems to indicate that normal parking is anticlockwise.

Its too frightening to think any more about this without a joint effort. Or a lot of alcohol.

1 Like

I can confirm the most definitely is the case :sob:

Got towed away last week from in front of my house in Kaohsiung at 1pm.

Fine was 900nt plus 1000nt for the tow truck, then 100nt per day for storage.

1 Like

:astonished: That’s rough, is there a maximum? Would not be pleasant to park up for the weekend, get towed and only find out about it on Monday with a rather large bill by the time you figure out what happened, where your car is and how to get it back!

My condolences. I recovered the car earlier today, taking a charged battery to it by bus. No ticket so (assuming I don’t get smartphone-shopped) I seem to have got away with it.

Not much consolation but in The Yook the fine can apparently be up to 1000 quid , which isn’t as much as it used to be, but is still a lot.

Wow, sorry, per DAY!

Haha, yes, per hour would have been outrageous!

1 Like

If you do get fined, you can take the receipt and a photo of your battery issue and they most likely will forget the fine. Happens a lot here. At most you would.need to write a letter, in mandarin, for their pubba to ok.

Ive gotten aticket for parking on the wrong side as well, in the middle of nowhere. Cell phone vigilante got me.

Next time, take the plates off

:sweat_smile: Phew, I was contemplating never parking in a public spot ever again!

Dunno exactly how you take a photo of a “battery issue”. Voltmeter reading will be Greek to a Taiwanese. If I can get the alternator apart (its proving resistant to my hammer)`I’ll take a photo of its innards. That should baffle them.

If I can’t fix it, which is the way to bet, since parts won’t be available in Taiwan, and IF I can get a replacement (doubtful) , I could also show them a picture of the receipt for the replacement. which they might understand.

Could pay for itself. :slightly_smiling_face:

OTOH they may well discount anything I tell them because I am not a mechanic and so dont have “professional knowledgee”.

That’s what the GF always does. in this case insisting on a black hand riding 100 m on a scooter to administer a jump start (300NT!) which was predictably a complete waste of time and money.

That’s rough considering how many drivers in Taiwan can get away with pretty much anything

Take a pic of the old and new battery, they write dates on them. And a pic of the receipt. 95% chance they will drop the fine.

Not planning on buying a new battery at present.

I may well have to buy a new alternator, IF available.

I think it was super unlucky.

Opposite me someone had parked on a red blocking all the scooters in, I guess the tow truck came for that and was like “that’s a freebie!”