Fine minds in academia

I teach at a technical university in Zhongli. It is one of those places to which anyone can be admitted so long as they have money for tuition. hence, there are some real class acts hanging about. betel nut (which i have nothing against generally) is spewed liberally in the halls and stairwells, eager young minds shout things “hello man”, “shitta”, and “fucka your mother” on a regular basis, giggling as they go to the mirror to tease their hair, and cigratettes (which i have nothing against generally) are smoked openly in the halls and stairwells.

but today was one for the books. five kids are wrestling/screaming outside my class. i go out, and in a loud voice full of scorn, tell them to beat it. they all do except for one kid who spits toward my feet. i stand there for a moment, blood rising, but then breathe and go back to my classroom. then, a couple minutes later, loud laughing outside. i go outside and there is the kid with his buddies. his buddies run when i come out, but he stands there. i walk up to him and (now all in mandarin) ask if he spit purposely. he says i spit at him. on his shirt. that is within the realm of possibility since saliva may have flown out in mid yell. i say that if i did, then sorry, and ask him again if he spit purposely. now he says i spit in his face. growing tired, i tell him to be careful about spitting at people inside or outside of school. then he says he’ll be looking for me if i ever go to Zhongli. resisting the urge to end him right there, i smile and go finish my class.

the future is not bright!

you should tell his mommy on him.

no way. that kid is a paying customer. a horribly misunderstood paying customer who needs motivation.

i long for the days when you had to be bright to get into institutions of higher learning. of course it would mean that i’d be out of my cushy job.

Acid,

Please watch yourself as you walk to your car and think about keeping a utility razor(edit, poor English :blush: ) on your person in case they come for you. It is common at “gangster” schools for students to kick the shit out of their teachers. They throw a bag on your head and then proceed to beat the shit out of you.

Honestly the best answer would of been to ignore the whole thing with the 2nd best being you beating the kid till he needed hospitalization and you leaving the country immediately. As it is now, you are in danger of bodily harm.

Best wishes,
Okami

I wouldn’t sweat it. The young punk isn’t going to try anything and if he did, he’s got too much MO to give him away.

Best thing to do, while it will bruise your pride, is to just let it go. The consequences of laying down the law on a kid too incompetent to get into a real school just aren’t worth it. Besides, karma is an effing bitch and he’ll get his one day. Kids like him looking to start trouble eventually succeed and lose in the end. I’ve seen it firsthand.

[quote=“Okami”]Acid,

Please watch yourself as you walk to your car and think about keeping a safety razor on your person in case they come for you. [/quote]
So he can look his best for his battering? :laughing:

You’ll never see it coming. The traditional way is to pull a bag over your head and then everyone get a turn…or so I’m told :whistle:

If it were me I would of said when and where buddy while we were staring each other down. I’d love to beat down a scooter punk, but I’ve never been given a reason. If this happened to me I don’t think I could of controlled myself as well as you. Of course if you did set a time and place some precautions need to be taken. Show up with at least 3 other friends nearby, preferably big foreigners, because chances are he won’t show up alone. But of course I’d say a built foreigner can take 2-3 of these scrawny taike scooter trash pretty easily. For the time being though, I’d follow everyone’s advice and watch my back.

In some circles, it’s called a “blanket party”… :whistle:

cheers all. indeed, complete avoidance would have been the best policy. we shall see what the coming week brings!

I wouldn’t expect violence from the little punks. More likely a burning bag of shit outside your classroom, escalated noise and commotion outside your classroom, TP/flat tires/key scratch on your vehicle, and other pranks. The problem is that they’re bored, juvenile and want to stir up shit for kicks and you just let them know it reaaaaaally pisses you off when they do so. Hence, you will now be their favorite target for childish pranks, vandalism and general nuisance-making. Chiayo. :slight_smile:

In some circles, it’s called a “blanket party”… :whistle:[/quote]
Happened to a friend of mine down in the boonies several years ago. The story is almost exactly the same. He ended up getting jumped with a sack over his head and, scrawny or not, those guys gave him several broken ribs, a severe concussion, a fractured skull and a shattered ankle. They never got caught.
You NEED to be careful.

if they cause more shit and get violent, introduce them to your new friend Stanley.

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”]if they cause more shit and get violent, introduce them to your new friend Stanley.

[/quote]
Bollocks. And end up in jail. In any case, that’s not how it works. You don’t get the opportunity to even turn around, let alone draw a weapon.

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“Deuce Dropper”]if they cause more shit and get violent, introduce them to your new friend Stanley.

[/quote]
Bollocks. And end up in jail. In any case, that’s not how it works. You don’t get the opportunity to even turn around, let alone draw a weapon.[/quote]

Yup…come out of 7-11 with your mango slurpee without a care in the world and wake up in the hospital or worse on the curb…and that’s if they are county bumpkins. Some city kids will do the job with watermelon knives.

[quote=“Elegua”][quote=“sandman”][quote=“Deuce Dropper”]if they cause more shit and get violent, introduce them to your new friend Stanley.

[/quote]
Bollocks. And end up in jail. In any case, that’s not how it works. You don’t get the opportunity to even turn around, let alone draw a weapon.[/quote]

Yup…come out of 7-11 with your mango slurpee without a care in the world and wake up in the hospital or worse on the curb…and that’s if they are county bumpkins. Some city kids will do the job with watermelon knives.[/quote]

my post was in jest, I hardly think cutting up college kids is a worthwhile solution, glad to see it got you guys riled up.

Mine was also made in jest. Glad to see it made you think I was riled up.

Mine was serious. Dead serious. Stomp on burning bags at your own peril! :frowning:

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”][quote=“Elegua”][quote=“sandman”][quote=“Deuce Dropper”]if they cause more shit and get violent, introduce them to your new friend Stanley.

[/quote]

Yup…come out of 7-11 with your mango slurpee without a care in the world and wake up in the hospital or worse on the curb…and that’s if they are county bumpkins. Some city kids will do the job with watermelon knives.[/quote]

my post was in jest, I hardly think cutting up college kids is a worthwhile solution, glad to see it got you guys riled up.[/quote]

Oh, I was riled up?