Fined 1.9 million for dowloading 24 songs

I confess…I turned right on red a few months back…oh, and I jaywalked yesterday. I’m a menace to society.

I confess…I turned right on red a few months back…oh, and I jaywalked yesterday. I’m a menace to society.[/quote]

We better lock you up quick. Next you’ll be drinking water on the MRT. :smiley:

[quote=“urodacus”]I refuse to accept that an industry that promotes shit like Britney and so forth ad nauseam has any merit at all, nor deserves to be protected from those who think otherwise. Most modern music is marketing, not talent nor art. And the shylock industry that has grown fat pushing that crap is redundant, outmoded, irrelevant except as far as they can pervert the taste of naive listeners, and as such deserves to fail.

not that I wish to promote illegal downloading, for that would be illegal.[/quote]

agreed on many counts, but how can you lump them all together?

The redundant crap artists that promote Britney are very different from the indies that promote all the cool shit. The most important fact here is that majors are not really hurt by this, they have huge sponsorship deals with corp giants… it is the indies that got slammed.

Synthetic Symphony, Decibel, OffBeat SPV IRS, Pinnacle, Rough Trade, TVT … all gone you may not know the names but if you have been to a rave or a indie rock fest in the last 20 years you have been privy to the music they supported. All that is gone and downloads were a huge part of what killed them.

Anybody remember Annie Lennox she got dumped because she refused to sign a 360 deal so the label announced that no major corp sponsors would sign here which made her “redundant in the new musical landscape”. In fact she just refused to get whored out to Pepsi and the Gap so she got the boot. Why? because everybody is downloading her cds and if the Label wants to keep making the obscene profit margins of days gone by they can only support artists which will sign 360 deals and sell shit music promoting shit corp culture… Just think of all the great Hotel and mattress ads that could have been selling their shit to the dulcimer twangs of Sweet dreams… I get tingly just thinking of it. What a selfish bitch she is for refusing to let us take her work for free and refusing to sign that 360… out of a job ? serves her right! Doesn’t she know artists are there to entertain us for free when and how we feel like it? Silly rabbit morality and artistic loyalty are for punks! I want my MTV now! and I want it free! gimme gimme gimme…

What is left? bubble gum crap. and we did that, we as consumers with our " because blah blah blah"… attitude did that.

So the next time you are listening to the radio and wondering why all the new bands sound like carbon copy bullshit thank yourself and every one of your mp3s skimmed of the backs of the hard working indie labels who died because we are to fucking cheap to pay them 1 dollar per song to download legally.

What’s a 360?

Saw Annie Lennox live; she rocks.

[quote=“shifty”]What is left? bubble gum crap. and we did that, we as consumers with our " because blah blah blah"… attitude did that.

So the next time you are listening to the radio and wondering why all the new bands sound like carbon copy bullshit thank yourself and every one of your mp3s skimmed of the backs of the hard working indie labels who died because we are to fucking cheap to pay them 1 dollar per song to download legally.[/quote]

Guess you weren’t around in the 60s and 70s to experience the identikit shite that record companies were pumping out, long before cassette tapes and the internet.

Rough Trade?

roughtraderecords.com/

RT went down due to their own incompetence during and after they lost the Smiths, and were resurrected by Sanctuary in 2000. During the intervening years they went into management, then bought their name back and are now a successful label again.

I would go as far as to say RT screwed the Smiths just as Silvertone screwed the Stone Roses. Interesting that they both have a Zomba connection…

[quote=“Lord Lucan”][quote=“shifty”]What is left? bubble gum crap. and we did that, we as consumers with our " because blah blah blah"… attitude did that.

So the next time you are listening to the radio and wondering why all the new bands sound like carbon copy bullshit thank yourself and every one of your mp3s skimmed of the backs of the hard working indie labels who died because we are to fucking cheap to pay them 1 dollar per song to download legally.[/quote]

Guess you weren’t around in the 60s and 70s to experience the identikit shite that record companies were pumping out, long before cassette tapes and the internet.

Rough Trade?

roughtraderecords.com/

RT went down due to their own incompetence during and after they lost the Smiths, and were resurrected by Sanctuary in 2000. During the intervening years they went into management, then bought their name back and are now a successful label again.

I would go as far as to say RT screwed the Smiths just as Silvertone screwed the Stone Roses. Interesting that they both have a Zomba connection…[/quote]

You’re missing his point here.
Not only did downloading of music directly result in the crap-ization of popular music in the last 5 years or so, but the recording industry’s foreknowledge that in the future people were going to start downloading, led to them pre-spiking the charts with shit music, otherwise, how can you possibly explain shit like how Pat Boone could score like 15 #1 singles as far back as 1957…Cliff Bloody Richards, 12 #1 singles before 1990…downloading bastards…

Sorry, pardon my grammar query, I always forget, is it “cuntish” or “cunty”???

[quote=“the chief”]Sorry, pardon my grammar query, I always forget, is it “cuntish” or “cunty”???[/quote]When talking about music, it’s “cunty”, as in “cunty and western”.

Right, and Kuntish is the loch in Scotland, right?

[quote=“the chief”]
You’re missing his point here.
Not only did downloading of music directly result in the crap-ization of popular music in the last 5 years or so, but the recording industry’s foreknowledge that in the future people were going to start downloading, led to them pre-spiking the charts with shit music, otherwise, how can you possibly explain shit like how Pat Boone could score like 15 #1 singles as far back as 1957…Cliff Bloody Richards, 12 #1 singles before 1990…downloading bastards…[/quote]

So that explains bollocks like Loo Loo, and the sodding Monkees then? [not to be confused with the Artic Monkeys, who are even worse]

If only they’d had Kazza when I were a lad we’d have been spared Kajagoogoo and the Bay City Rollers as well and that bloody Da Doo Ron Ron song, which was clearly written by an accountant. And where was the bloody internet when New Kids on the Fucking Block were foisted upon us one tea-time by some shower of bastards in New York?

I was all up for the Home Taping is Killing Music stuff back in the day after discovering my parents’ record collection, and to hasten the end along bought two double tape decks to churn out tapes for the boys at school. We had quite a little library going. But we actually had to buy a lot of records, mostly obscure Heavy Metal from Shades Records in London, thus enabling record companies to spend money on shite like Wham and Jamiroquai, and if only we’d had the bloody internet they wouldn’t have had any money for Vanilla Ice and Bros. (“When Will I be Famous?” Thursday week. For two hours. And you’re not old enough to drink Grolsch.)

It’s actually quite interesting to note the huge support back in the 80s for home recording and taping amongst indie bands and labels, and their united hatred of the Big Record Companies’ “Home Taping is Killing Music” campaign. Remember they wanted to put a tax on blank cassette tapes?

Bloody computers, eh? They’ll never catch on.

EMI is £258bn years old.

(cont. p94)

I was once almost run over by Luke Goss (or was it Matt) of Bros in Hartley Whitney many years back. So, while record companies are killing good music, crap pop stars are also trying to kill fans of good music. I smell a conspiracy. Has anyone else been almost killed by a tacky pop star?

We’ll tell you when you’re old enough to know, honey.

I accidentally snorted too hard once when I was doing a line with Posh Spice and she got stuck in my sinuses. That was Horrible, truly Horrible.

her hair gel made me sneeze and she shot back out like a pea from my left nostril, so I guess I wasn’t in any real danger. really bruised her bony arse, though. Stupid twat, for safety’s sake she should put on a few pounds so that doesn’t happen to anyone else.

Chris De Burgh set his rottweilers on me.

Boby (sic) Curtola put the moves on my ex-wife…

Freddie Starr ate my hamster.

Lou Diamand Phillips once gave me a good elbow in the ribcage.

The RIAAs campaign of lawsuits has been ruthless intimidatation, in many cases quite unfair. The EFF have a great article RIAA v. The People: Five Years Later

Innocent until proven guilty doesn’t seem to apply with many victims of the threatening legal action settling, as the EFF note, [quote] Most lawsuit targets settle their cases for amounts ranging between $3,000 and $11,000. They have little choice—even if an individual has a defense, it is generally more expensive to hire a lawyer to fight than it would be simply to settle. Ignoring the lawsuit can also be more expensive than settling; at least one court has entered a default judgment of $6,200 against a defendant who failed to contest the lawsuit [/quote]

Being the IP owner does not mean I actually committed the crime, I may have a wireless router which I foolishly left with out password protection, my computer may have have a virus and someone else is downloading. Or more precisely, make available to upload, which is what the RIAA is going after. But the availability to upload is considered reason enough to send a lawsuit, not actual evidence that uploading took place. Hence in many cases no proof a crime ever took place.

Not a single penny has been put in the hands of a recording artist as a result of the lawsuit campaign, and such is the hatred towards the RIAA, there is no evidence that their campaign has had any effect at all, in fact it may have got worse, with a more savvy group that know how to hide their IP’s. Sony also alienated its law abiding customers , who went and bought a CD from them by installing a root kit on their computers.

[quote=“Mick”]The RIAAs campaign of lawsuits has been ruthless intimidatation, in many cases quite unfair. The EFF have a great article RIAA v. The People: Five Years Later

Innocent until proven guilty doesn’t seem to apply with many victims of the threatening legal action settling, as the EFF note, [quote] Most lawsuit targets settle their cases for amounts ranging between $3,000 and $11,000. They have little choice—even if an individual has a defense, it is generally more expensive to hire a lawyer to fight than it would be simply to settle. Ignoring the lawsuit can also be more expensive than settling; at least one court has entered a default judgment of $6,200 against a defendant who failed to contest the lawsuit [/quote]

Being the IP owner does not mean I actually committed the crime, I may have a wireless router which I foolishly left with out password protection, my computer may have have a virus and someone else is downloading. Or more precisely, make available to upload, which is what the RIAA is going after. But the availability to upload is considered reason enough to send a lawsuit, not actual evidence that uploading took place. Hence in many cases no proof a crime ever took place.

Not a single penny has been put in the hands of a recording artist as a result of the lawsuit campaign, and such is the hatred towards the RIAA, there is no evidence that their campaign has had any effect at all, in fact it may have got worse, with a more savvy group that know how to hide their IP’s. Sony also alienated its law abiding customers , who went and bought a CD from them by installing a root kit on their computers.[/quote]

:notworthy: :bravo:

It’s always nice to see the judiciary screwing the little guy after their lawyer buddies have bought a plethora of new houses with record company fees. Maybe the record companies should forget about music altogether and just sign up-and-coming lawyers?