finishing a degree in Taiwan

Does anyone know if it’s possible to transfer undergraduate credits from an American college to a Taiwan university? I want to finish my bachelor’s and just hate online classes.

yes, it’s possible. You just need to take 4 semester at least to graduate under the uni here. I would suggest call and go to the campus to get better info.

I am in the process of doing this myself, however they have a stupid rule since i have a ROC citizenship, I must take the local entrance exam even with a US passport. It should be significantly easier for you if you are a foreign national. Most websites even have english, but it’s usually for exchange, so call and go to talk to someone, they will usually have an international department to help you.

May I ask why on earth you would do this? If your goal is to be in Taiwan in the future, try to finish your US college degree. Perhaps I’m missing some key details here, but that’s my take.

Guy

Also, I am assuming (no basis but it might be worth checking out) that if you complete a degree in this way, you would then be labeled a graduate of a Taiwanese college, and if you wanted to do a graduate degree later in Taiwan, you would need to do the local entrance exam and compete with locals for a spot in the program.

That might or might not matter at all to you, but if you have any plans of doing an MA in Taiwan, it could be important. It would be difficult to get into most programs in direct competition with locals.

A quick heads up for IL and others: this is not how the admissions system works. Taiwan universities now have international grad students, admitted as such, who completed their previous degrees at universities in Taiwan. So there’d be no problem there.

Guy

Is this now true for all international students, or only ones who did “part” of their undergraduate degree in Taiwan (completing a degree) rather than a “whole” undergraduate degree in Taiwan?

At my institution, it’s the former (i.e. all international students). In the time I’ve been in Taiwan, the situation has really opened up.

Guy

Are you folks new to Taiwan?
About 10 years ago, Taiwan upgraded lots of colleges and private schools into Universities.
Even the one who scores only 7 on a 500 scale exam gets admitted to Universities.
What a joke.

My point is, unless you’re planning to go to the top 4 Universities in Taiwan, diploma can be gotten as easily as buying products.

It is true for all foreign students who have completed their bachelor degree in Taiwan.

International students applying for schools in Taiwan in accordance with the two previous articles shall be limited to one application only. Upon completion of the course of study, at a school in Taiwan, to which an international student has applied, the student’s admission to another school’s academic level shall be handled in a manner identical to the admission procedures for local students. An exception is that an application for a master’s degree or higher levels of graduate studies can be processed under the procedures of each individual school.

http://law.moj.gov.tw/eng/LawClass/LawSearchNo.aspx?PC=H0110001&DF=&SNo=4

Good to know. I was not aware of the exception for graduate studies which puts it basically under the discretion of each institution, sounds like.

Yes. And those schools are usually happy to admit such students as international students as it helps raise the numbers–one of many metrics used to assess the rankings of individual schools/programs.

Guy

Thank you all for the information.

Not a problem. Good luck sorting things out!

Guy

It’s a money issue. I paid five times the rent in America (I’m in Gaoxiong now), tuition is high, and we won’t even talk about medical costs. Plus, it’s just depressing to be there.

Yeah these are tough times in the US. Hang in there, and please if possible do not let the toxic situation in the US close off your options.

Guy