Firecrackers

CNY is about 4 hours sleep a night. Fireworks till 4 am. Fireworks start at 8 am. Itis amazing to me how little respect people have here for each other.

Fob, at least this year has been somewhat rainy about half of the nights and days. Puts a damper on their fun, it does. Here the fireworks have simply had to stop a bunch of times because it was an absolute downpour - definitely a much easier way to shut them all down than calling cops (which I haven’t tried, but would probably be totally useless).

They would just shrug the shoulders and join in the fun … and probably get some cigarets, binlang and kaoliang …

At least in Belgium we have some rules set … fireworks allowed around midnight of newyears eve … that’s it …

Honestly, we don’t get that many firecrackers here in the outskirts of Longtan. And even if we did, I would bear it with a grin. You see, it’s their country, and their no 1 holiday of the year. Therefore, if they want to set off firecrackers, well, they are in their right to do so, and we just have to live with it.

That said, they are doing it on the hill as well, and once I get back there I will set off my own string, preferably Monday morning at 2 AM.

:laughing: :laughing: :bravo:

I can sleep through anything. Especially now, overseas on vacation. My dear husband, on the other hand, has to contend with being wakened half-hourly and trying to keep our three large, hysterical dogs under control. Or at least calm enough that they don’t destroy the house.

WHY is it one of the only good vacations that we get all year can’t be a restful one?! Arrrgghh. (on his behalf). For most Taiwanese, it’s their ONLY vacation. Don’t they want to get at least a full night’s sleep when all is said and done? I know they’re not born loving all the din; most very young children have the common sense to be afraid of firecrackers…

:noway:

Mr. H … and that is an excuse for them to keep other people awake for almost two weeks …

Well over here the rain has lasted about ten minutes at a time. And immediately after the rain ends, they start again.
I almost prefer the fireworks, though, to the smell of them burning stuff in the stairwell. I asked the folks across the way to move it near the window (and away from my door) and got a long lecture about how I wasn’t going to have good luck this year.

All the locals are in on it, making it hard to stop. However again, if I as a foreigner could not take the noise, I would get out for a few days when it was at its worst.

Just how young are you talking? If you had seen the ones who looked to be about six and were proudly holding footlong rockets while their daddies showed them how to make blastoff for the first time, you wouldn’t have seen any fear in their eyes…

I should run? … They should learn respect and common sense …

You know, belgian, you’d do a lot better job of making them learn respect and common sense if you went out to one of the little stands and got your own arsenal. What do you say we both get some and see how long too crazy laowais can hold off everyone else from the temple bridge in Sanxia?

Ones we have the explosives we go to the bridge and fire it into the crowd? Sounds cool …

I guess it’s better to wait two or three weeks than buy firecrackers and drive around Sanxia at night and then set them off every 30 minutes or so …

You drive; I’ll light and throw.

Let’s find a good date, when all has cooled down and people enjoy their hard earned sleep … we make it an all nighter …

I plan my own run on the hill.

The first stop will be in front of Ironman’s house.

It’s part of the culture, and I’d hate to see it banned. I just wish some of the people would be more careful, though…

Anyway, it’s only once a year, and I have some good earplugs.

Just how young are you talking? If you had seen the ones who looked to be about six and were proudly holding footlong rockets while their daddies showed them how to make blastoff for the first time, you wouldn’t have seen any fear in their eyes…[/quote]

I’m talking about the ones who haven’t been demented by primary school: 1-5 years old.

I teach a K-2 class, and most of them openly admit to being scared. A few have already entered the ranks of the insomniaphiles, however. :noway:

When are you people going to learn!! You can’t find them with noise. It would probably be more effective to drive around with some device that makes an area quiet (wish there was such a thing). They would feel lonely without being able to hear the blaring TVs and everyone yelling on the phone.

…and I love it.

Just regretting I didn’t order enough this year…

Happy New Year from little X3M