FIRST PERSON | I'm 71, retired and once again looking for a home

Or people who expected government handouts their whole lives…

1 Like

Exactly. If you don’t have real estate in Canada by the time you’re in your 50s, you’re not really into long term thinking. And yet it’s these new age types that vote for “Dreamy Justin.” They just love his hair! :clown_face: :clown_face:

Renting in Calgary in the early 80s as per her sob story? With the National Energy Program and Communist-like wealth redistribution from West to East being pushed by Trudeau Sr. and Marc Lalonde, there were tens of pages of foreclosures in the Calgary Herald at the time. I remember it well although we were public sector, so it didn’t impact us. She could have easily bought a distressed sale and it would have been cheaper than renting…around 79,000 CDN at the time would have got you a nice SW Calgary house in a Lake Community.

CBC Marxist donkey manure article.

1 Like

She sounds evil, “Sold the house out from under me”. As if the landlord owed her something.

2 Likes

The victim narrative. Somebody sold something they own without my permission lol. Did she think that a property with rent control could never be sold?

5 Likes

The landlord can sell legally yes but the new home buyers get the old tenant automatically under the law and can only evict if they personally need the space, but even then they need to give her lots of notice. It’s not like Taiwan where the contract expires after a year and you can get turfed.

If you read what she wrote, she has been given plenty of time to move out. It’s not immediate. Who is to say the new owners won’t want to move in?

Can’t the Zamboni driver at the local skating rink rent her a room?

1 Like

If I’m buying I’m not buying occupied properties… I hate to have to evict someone just so I can live there.

:grin:

Guy

2 Likes

That ($1,000,000) gets you a crack house in Vancouver or just a standard average abode these days in desired places in Canuckistan. Or a very average Taipei City abode. And who the fuck wants to live in Moosejaw or Leduc?

1 Like

Why do you think this thread is about Canada? :thinking:

Guy

Says the dude that just linked to a third-rate Canadian music band. :laughing: :clown_face:

Perhaps it is news to you that the subjunctive mood extends beyond the borders of Canada, a nation that seems—based on your posting here—to be forever on your mind.

Guy

Not if you look at my posts mate—recent ones on US politics and lots of other Taiwan and international topics, etc. And you seem to be quite interested in Australia legislation these days as well as Canada too on threads not necessary labelled as such. Is such diversity a bad thing? Doesn’t this site want to be diverse and represent the whole community?

Could it be we’re both internationalists? lol :wink:

Take a look at the posts below—lots of people using various international contexts from many countries.

2 Likes

Yes, the article also said they are selling homes starting with ones that “don’t generate sufficient rent.” So I don’t feel any sympathy there.

They can’t provide notice for a potential buyer, only the new buyer can when they buy the house. They have laws that need to be followed.

Anyone choosing to post or allowing a journalist to post a crying shot from the 1980s deserves to live in a tent. :laughing:

Sure and the seller can simply not renew a lease. Someone might be ok with having the tenant only until the lease expires.

In Ontario Canada leases become month to month after the year is up, and takes forever to get someone out. That part I don’t agree with, but giving them half a year to leave seems fair.
Taiwan is just, the years up, get out if the landlord doesn’t want you there

I prefer the Taiwan model by far. North America and Europe are way too pro-renter.

2 Likes

I get the need to be pro renter but what it ends up doing is making it damn near impossible to rent, as landlords just cherry pick who they want to rent to, it makes finding a house as hard as finding jobs.

1 Like