First Plasticizer Culprits Sentenced

[quote=“Pingdong”]it is what it is, cant change the past. Sure I get that and understand that. I don’t dwell on it, but thats not to say people shouldn’t fight to try and make things better for future situations. I am generally not a fan of jail, or the system surrounding it. [color=#FF0000]I think in a case like this stripping the people literally of all finances and assets, I mean all, and allowing them one small house to start anew would be nice[/color]. 2 years in prison. This teaches us that if we cough up a couple years we can sell away anything we want. Its a bad message.

[color=#FF0000]Greedy people with little to no respect for others understand money, and not much else[/color]. So then where better to hit them?

Im not losing any sleep over it and im not depressed over it. I have simply decided not to give these people my business anymore. not much else I can do easily.[/quote]
Pretty much my sentiments on the matter, also. :2cents:

Yup same as drug dealers where all their assets are taken and drunk drivers who get their vehicles confiscated.

Mandatory jail sentences for those who do DUI accidents as well, should be mandatory 12 months in Jail. Its getting like this in Australia now.

a link that was posted on page 2 (ozsoapbox.com/taiwan/food/the-gr … of-taiwan/) says they have been adding this stuff for 20 years! Is this true???

No matter the sentences/fines, the system is still in place and we still have the same problem:

[quote]Two sauce products manufactured by Cheng Tai Soy Sauce Co. (誠泰醬油食品商行) located in Yunlin County, southern Taiwan, were found to have contained over 1,500 parts per million (ppm) of the plasticizer DINP (diisononyle phthalate), more than 170 times the allowable level, according to findings of a market investigation released yesterday by the Department of Health under the Taipei City Government.
City health officials said that their department has just completed random examinations of 322 food products retailed in Taipei and found 10 of them contained excessive amounts of plasticizers DINP, DEHP (2-ethylhexyl phthalate) and DIDP (diisodecyl phthalate), which are deemed detrimental to human health in cases of excess intake.

Chen said based on the standards released by the Cabinet-level Department of Health, the standard plasticizer volumes for oil- and paste-related products are set at DINP 9 ppm, DEHP 3 ppm, DIDP 9 ppm; and the standard volume for beverage products is set at DIDP 3 ppm.

Chen Li-chi noted that there is still a lack of solid information to show the level of damage that plasticizers can cause to humans, but it is certain that the more the material is absorbed, the greater its harm will be.
[/quote]
chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/nati … eveals.htm

They only got 13 years for poisoning a nation (in China they’ve gotten a bullet) … a former President that re-channeled some money gets 17 years … :ponder: :doh:

Sentence revised to 14 months and 760K fine… sigh

Crazy stuff, it’s still a broken judicial system.
Where’s the outrage?

Been reading Fat, Sugar, Salt, on the history of the fast and processed food industry in the US. Disgusting all around. Makes this case look like child’s play. Which is pathetic but when you have the USDA allowing meat processors to hide the fact that there is ammonia (“it’s just one of many chemicals we use so why highlight it?”) in beef, for example, then what hope can we have for Taiwan?

True that. The food industry worldwide is totally messed-up. Once you have a look under the lid, you’ll find a whole load of maggots crawling under there - I recommend to anybody to do their own research.

Doesn’t diminish the severity of this case though, and the message sent by the sentencing judge is quite clearly “nudge nudge wink wink”.

Yep. One more reason to avoid food altogether.

I assume you’ve been reading Budda Boy’s posts and have seen the error of your ways :slight_smile:

I assume you’ve been reading Budda Boy’s posts and have seen the error of your ways :slight_smile:[/quote]

Indeed, it was either sex or food.

Mr. Chen’s Business Plan:

1.Make sure to befriend cops, judges and politicians. Go drinking with them as often as possible.
2. Give them gifts of ludicrously priced fruit. If possible get photos of them in compromising position with hookers, my wife … whatever.
3. Start business that does something despicable to the public but makes ridiculous amounts of money.
4. Make loads of cash.
5. Put some of that cash aside to pay off judges and police who won’t accept ludicrously priced fruit when I get caught. Put more aside for lawyers, reporter payoffs and so on.
6. Send most of remaining cash (enough to keep me well-heeled for the rest of my life) to the US and invest there.
7. Get caught.
8. Go to court. Call in favours from cops, judges and politicians I know.
9. If I do not get off scot free, appeal sentence.
10. Serve minimal sentence.
11. Emigrate to US and live the life of Riley!
PS. I love the Taiwanese justice system! Wooohooo!

I’d be one of the first to support the possibility of some of this actually happening.

However…the sentencing guidelines in Taiwan are weak for a lot of crimes, so the judges hands MAY have been tied somewhat.