First time in Taiwan

https://rent.591.com.tw/rent-detail-10422063.html . usual rent for a place like that seem to be 15k-ish. here’s an example of a place similar to one I saw yesterday. on the facebook groups meant for foreigners, place is listed in the 50s.

Ha a place like that for $50,000?!? I find it hard to believe there’s ever been more than 1-2 people suckered to rent a place like this in that location for anywhere near $50,000.

for a place like Taiwan, where the local populace actually has manners. that’s a sad state of affairs in terms of trying to pull a fast one. you right on the money. well, my hunt continues.

What’s frustrating though, is here it seems price is not a benchmark for the kind of place you’ll get. if I didn’t know about how strict asian countries are about drug dealing, I would say the apartments are being used to launder money lol. You’ll see on ridiculously shitty apartment asking for crazy money.

1 Like

✨ Floor: 14F with elevator

✨ Layout: 2 bedrooms, 1 washroom, 2 balconies

✨ Indoor swimming pool, gym.

✨ Rent: $48,000. Management fees: $2,918

✨ Min 1 year term

✨ Utilities are paid by tenant

✨ Signing lease requires 2 months deposit and 1st month rent

✨ Service fee: 1/2 month rent (one-time fee)

just in case you won’t be able to view the direct fb link. shit’s crazy.

I’m just learning this through experience.

Well, this is not really a fair comparison. Neihu is very expensive and outer Tamsui is very cheap by comparison. So you are not really comparing very similar things

1 Like

There are true gems to be had. Keep looking and don’t settle.
I don’t even take my own trash out. I’m never moving.

2 Likes

picked out, the first ad I saw from that agency. they have multiple listings with crazy prices.

Try go to this agency.you will find good prices around Hongshulin with mrt and tram

1 Like

thanks a lot, will check them out tomorrow.

Can’t see the link but $48,000 for a 2 bedroom in a new(er) building in Neihu that has a pool and gym would be in line with the market.

For comparison:

Location has a huge impact on prices in Taiwan, just as it does almost anywhere.

1 Like

I didn’t specifically meant to pick the ad with Neihu. but I’m saying based on my observation ads targeted to foreigners from that agency. seem to have prices marked up. and just ads on fb in general that are in english.

Yeah markup is definitely possible, especially when dealing with agencies that target foreigners. Best approach is to hone in on the areas you’re interested in and use 591 to get a sense of the ranges for the type of accommodations you’re looking for.

2 Likes

thanks for the actionable advice. :facepunch:

1 Like

is shopping and eating out the main pastimes out here in Taiwan. maybe it’s the area i’m in right now - by ximen station. shit’s always packed to the rafters, day in day out. bars seem empty, maybe CNY.

btw, also using this to document my adventures here. in case someone in the future runs into the thread and hopefully gain some insight.

2 Likes

One more time: English speaking agencies focus on expats, which are foreigners whose companies pay handsomely for everything, including housing. And chauffeur.

We have a list of advice points regarding renting in several threads. This is one of the points, as well as not going to see apartments by yourself, consult locals, always have a local witness.

Please check these threads for reference. #housingtips

2 Likes

Some places for perusal:

1 Like

@Icon thanks a lot for the tips. And the list of apartments. And definitely will peruse the posts under the housing tags.
Yeah, I have also found I’m now getting more responses when I state upfront that I’m a resident foreigner. Though, the calling part is tricky since I don’t speak mandarin, but texting and translating has come in handy.

One thing that you might find on 591 is that some of the landlords and agencies putting up the ads can speak English to some extent. Not all of them but definetly some.

Finally found an apartment. So glad that process is over, and thanks to everyone here for helping out. the process was like how I read online and how some of you described it, pretty straight-forward. lucky enough, my landlord’s husband speaks english so that was nice.

1 Like