First time teacher, visiting Taiwan for interviews

I am looking for teaching work in Taiwan with a Bachelor’s degree and CELTA. This would be my first teaching job. Currently I am talking to 4 different companies I found on tealit, some want to do a Skype interview and then see me in person while others will only interview when I am in Taiwan. I’ve heard that the best way to get a job is to hit the streets and visit schools. I’m planning a trip to visit locations in Taipei and Taichung. In your experience, is mid-June a good time for job hunting to start work in early July? Ideally I would like to start soon after I interview to avoid staying in a hotel or hostel long term. Also, how is the job market currently for someone in my position? One company I talked to gave me the impression that most of the applicants he talked to were less desirable (not from USA/Canada/UK). Thanks!

Assorted comments:

• While it’s true that schools prefer someone from a native English speaking country, be wary of any company trying to pump up your ego off the bat. If they come off as more desperate for you than you are for them, take it as a huge red flag.

• You’re far more likely to get hired inside Taiwan than outside Taiwan obviously. Companies like the security of knowing you’re local so you’re much less likely to flake after accepting a job, and of course most want to meet you in person to better evaluate you. You could get a job while still outside Taiwan, but chances are less.

• With no experience, your options are pretty much limited to working at a buxiban chain or cram-school. There’s a supposedly pinned thread on here with a cram-school blacklist. I couldn’t find it just now, but if you do find it I suggest you read through it and make sure none of the places you’re applying for are on there.

• Using Tealit and contacting companies directly is the best approach. Sounds like you’re staying away from recruiters. Good. Recruiters are self-serving scum who always try to push their worst jobs on their clients, especially FOB (fresh off boat) like you. Treat them like the plague.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the response Drew. So far only the cram-schools and chain buxibans have contacted me. I’ve done some research on the companies and reviews are mixed but nothing seems awful.

Do you have an opinion on hourly teaching (paid for teaching hours only) vs full time salary positions? One company already sent me a contract offering NT$53,000. It lays out a list of responsibilities including events outside of the classroom and training (both possibly on weekends). The regular hours are 11:30 am to 8:30 pm (with 20 teaching hours per week). Will I end up working more and making less than if I worked for a school that pays hourly?

Do not sign that contract. Low ball offer.

53000 is way too low. Someone’s trying to lowball you

You want full time so you’re eligible for a work permit, which gets you an ARC. I think you need a minimum 14 hours a week. (If you’re married, you could independently apply for an APRC unrelated to your employment status, but you didn’t mention anything about that in your post, so I’m going to assume that’s not the case). My details are always a bit sloppy when I discuss visa requirements as I find the topic boring, so someone please clarify if I made any errors. But basically, you want a full time position.

@the_bear is right, that it’s low. It is your first job though. I’d keep looking and try to find a place that is 60k or above.

check the visa requirements on boca site, and prepare all the documents before you come.

Thanks for the heads up. They say the typical teacher makes 60,000 with the bonus you get for teaching over 20 hours per week but I’ll make sure to keep this in mind when looking for jobs.

I have my criminal record check prepared, I’ll check that site for more details.

Typical buxiban hourly pay is $600/hr. Typical buxiban hours are from 4p.m. to 10p.m. Usually classes are 1.5hrs/class.

The work hours you were quoted would be 9+hrs/day (9 x 600 x 5days x 4weeks) = 108 000

$53 000/4weeks/5days/9hrs = $294/hr

You might be excited to get started and to be in Taiwan for the first few months but, once you start meeting other teachers and hearing what they do for the hourly wages and monthly take home, $294/hr is going to make you depressed and hate your experience here.
Most normal buxiban jobs are very similar in duties, staff, students expectations and etc…

woah woah no sane person one teaches 9 hours a day at a Buxiban, and also no-one stays at a 600/h job. Make that max 7 hours and 700/h.

7 Hours x 700TWD x 5 days x 4 weeks = 98,000

1 Like

He’s not going to get almost 100k a month from a buxiban job though. There’s a lot of desk warming in between teaching and you get paid peanuts for that. He should try finding a job that has at least 25 teaching hours a week (or at the very minimum, 20). 700-800 would be ideal, but FOB, without prior experience means he might have to settle for 600 or 650 an hour his first year or so. He shouldn’t take on any obvious shit offers like 53k, but don’t put thoughts in his head about getting that many hours or that much money. Realistically, he should hope to get a job that pays between 60k and 70k a month. If he gets luckier than that, that’s great though.

3 Likes

In my opinion, 25 hours a week is too much for a starting teacher. On top of that, it might be difficult to find one employer who will offer that many hours. I would shoot for 20 hours a week at $600 an hour or $650 an hour. After you cut your teeth a little bit you can start teaching more hours and saving more money.

2 Likes

Thanks for the responses everyone. I am interviewing with a company that offers 650/hr and 16 to 22.5 teaching hours per week. It sounds alright as long as I don’t spend 20 hours doing too much non-teaching work for low or no pay.

And yes, I agree 53,000 for that many hours seems crazy, if I talk with them I’ll try to negotiate something higher.

2 Likes

That sounds about right.

That first one sounds like a reasonable offer for a first year teacher. Try to get them to give you as many hours as possible, of course.

First years are for cutting your teeth. You can always move on to bigger and better offers later in your teaching career.

Spend your first year figuring out how to make decent money.

Hopefully without getting married.

split this topic #17

33 posts were split to a new topic: From teacher

60,000 is good enough if you are in Taichung, for a first experience.

What happened to this thread :upside_down_face: … I am going to visit every school in person and try to get multiple offers before making any decision. I’ve done my research, I won’t take a lowball offer.

3 Likes

Everyone has a different experience, but for me first year is least likely to be bad one in a chain school. HESS or Shane. Somewhere like that.

1 Like