Fishing the Danshui River

That looks like great fun… fish or not! Whereabouts on the East Coast would you try it? I have 2 rods and some tackle and stuff but it’s not much. Probably enough to get started but not to get serious.

I’m sure you’d end up on the news or the front of Apple Daily, especially if you strap a sixpack to the front!

Sorry buddy, it’s very much in the southern half of Taiwan. Perhaps you’re thinking Ji Long/Keelung?

[quote=“hhc1482”] I recall seeing a few signs that say to behead the fish immediately if caught(in the US). It’s funny you mentioned Peacock Bass, it’s another species I’ve never had the pleasure of catching. I’ll have to remember to take a small fishing detour whenever I’m in Florida.[/quote] Maryland DNR and Virginia DGIF have a “please kill” request to all anglers who catch a snakehead in the Potomac. The peacock bass is an impressive fish, I caught some in Hawaii. In Florida you’ll only find them around Miami. It’s too cold elsewhere for them to survive!

Sorry if I’m a little late to this thread, but I couldn’t resist putting my 2 cents. Actually, peacocks can be found several south Taiwan locations and are highly prized by local bass anglers (though they aren’t technically a bass, but a member of the cichlid family like the humble tilapia).

I think this was shot in Kaoshiung, but I could be wrong. If anyone recognizes the pond, I’d love to know where it is.

The guy in the pic below blogs about fishing down south and has lots of great photos of peacocks an snakeheads on his site, which is mostly in Chinese.

Well, this is an old thread I don’t mind restarting. Though at this point we stopped talking about Danshui a long time ago.

I thought I saw Peacock Bass down South while watching 台灣全紀錄 years ago! Outstanding, more incentive to go back and visit the family!

Regarding the video, my limited reading abilities see “啊” and a word "潭 'for “deep pool/lake” at character #4 reading left to right. I don’t know if the “啊” refers to the guy fishing or is the name of the pond. There is a small public lake with an amusement park that I think is near Kaoshiung whose name begins with an “啊” so this place fits the description.

Trogdor - Are you the person behind the Tawian Angler blog?

[quote=“MaGwaiFan”]
Regarding the video, my limited reading abilities see “啊” and a word "潭 'for “deep pool/lake” at character #4 reading left to right. I don’t know if the “啊” refers to the guy fishing or is the name of the pond. There is a small public lake with an amusement park that I think is near Kaoshiung (Gaoxiong) whose name begins with an “啊” so this place fits the description.

Trogdor - Are you the person behind the Tawian Angler blog?[/quote]

Yep, that’s me.

RE the video. It looks like a fairly large man-made lake with a couple of pagoda/temple structures around it. I know there is one fairly large man-made lake in Kaohsiung that I have only spotted on Google maps. Unfortunately I don’t make it down that way too often, though now that I hear the peacocks call…

I did make it out to Pingjhen today for largemouth bass with my boy.

Today was the 1st day of fishing season in Pinglin…decided to add on to my collection of gear and bought a nice little ultralight shimano for the little guys in the cleaner rivers like wulai, pinglin, pingshi, etc…i’ve wasted a lot of time in the past using the wrong gear…I like using rubber tails and spoons and you just don’t get any distance casting without a very flexible rod and light braided line…today I brought in 4 beautiful silver Ayu…2 were smaller and I released them, 1 was 15cm, and the trophy was about 40cm…a few locals told me that the smaller of the 2 big ones was a really good catch, and that the largest one was probably the biggest they’d ever seen with the water so low…they said that i’d be very lucky to ever catch one that size again unless fishing immediately after a typhoon…it was actually quite disappointing as I’d thought I’d finally found the fishing conditions I’ve been searching for after all these years…the majority of the locals were fishing for thumb-sized Ayu, and were using those whip antenna rods with no reels…this type of fishing has never been appealing to me and I’d sooner go indoor shrimp fishing in Taipei county…I do however remain optimistic after seeing several around 15cm…I also saw quite a few large carp looking fish swimming around in 2’s and 3’s, there’s nothing wrong them but they just didn’t have the spectacular clean look of the ones I was catching…

I read a few pages back that there’s a trout pound on your way to wulai?..does anyone have more details to the location or maybe even gps co-ordinates? (I save all my locations on gps)

About Sanxia…anyone know if you can eat the fish there? and what are people catching? I’m guessing the same carp-type fish I was talking about…

Anyone have any luck fishing salt in anywhere in Illan county?..I go often but usually only catch piles of these little tropical guys that are only good for soup…

Hi guys, I would love to go river fishing, i could really do with a fishing buddy or 2 though… if you keen, let me know. Thanks :slight_smile: