🎣 Fishing

I’ve always kinda wanted to get into fishing. I have a bunch of mates who say they like fishing but whenever I suggest doing something it’s like “ehh I’m busy maybe another time” or something like that

Anyway I want to give it a shot myself here in Taiwan. Buggered if I know where to start though. Well I can find information on fishing in general online of course, but the internet seems devoid of info on Taiwan in particular, in English. Things like where to and not to fish, what the rules are, what species there are. So I was wondering if anyone has knowledge themselves or can point to somewhere. Chinese is ok too I’ll manage to decipher it I just don’t know where to find it.

It’s boring. Don’t do it.

1 Like

Yeah, fishing looks cool when you see the successful angler with a nice string o’ keepers. That’s rare.
It’s not cool.
Find another hobby.

I went fishing with my cousin in Florida. He was telling me all about how to fish. He caught zero and I caught more than I could count lol. I don’t know anything about fishing. I just threw the fish back, so I don’t see the point unless you’re fishing for your next meal.

Fishing in Taiwan is mostly an abei thing they do to pass the time. When the weather’s nice it can be nice just having a reason to relax outside, and it’s sorta fun catching pretty little tropical fish out of the ocean. But it gets old fast. If you know where to go, you might catch something big enough to eat, but if you’re not much of a cook or a fish-eater it’s pretty pointless.

I think you might have more fun going bug-catching.

This. Don’t do it man. It’s seriously a waste of time. Fishing is for alcoholics to pretend they are sportsmen and for faking having an actual (hobby).

-Sorry to any fishermen/fisherwomen (it’s 2018) or fishmongers/fishmongerwomen

1 Like

This sounds interesting.

@Uncreativeusername Taiwan has these handsome fellows everywhere. I’ve seen lots of people catching them in rivers and rice fields in the countryside. Apparently they can breath air and live out of the water, also they have lungs??? Or maybe my chinese is just really bad.

I keep thinking it’s a euphemism for gay nightclubbing

1 Like

I wish about to say that, but was worried nobody would know what bug chasing means…I’m glad we understand each other. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I don’t know one end of a fish from the other but I’m guessing that’s a snakehead

They look gross. Do they eat it?

yum yum

Been a few times with a few family members. no licence is needed to fish from the sea, but some areas have no fishing signs.

I would recommend going with a local friend(s), people will be willing to help you and like to share their experience. they will normally have some spare equipment you use and if you get more serious you can start to get your own.

I have found is the most important equipment is is the cooler box full of drinks / food and the BBQ.

2 Likes

You’re not wrong

Not only can they breathe air, but they can also survive on land for up to four days, provided they are wet, and are known to migrate up to 400 m (1/4 mi) on wet land to other bodies of water by wriggling with their bodies and fins.

According to this they’re actually not bad https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/05/20/snakehead-taste-test-can-a-fish-this-ugly-really-taste-that-good-photos/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.4616973e013d

Does freshwater not need a license, too?
There are public BBQ areas at some parks, aren’t there? I’m sure I’ve seen some

Wow. These things sound like unnatural freaks. I don’t like them even more now.

I think so

There is a news story on the front page of Apple Daily a few years ago. A picture of a dead fisherman that the other fishermen had pulled out of the water and thrown on the rocks, and they were still fishing in the background.

Must be highly addictive.

They say the high you get from fishing only compares with the very first time you jab a point of crystal meth into your veins.