Fitness Centres in Taiwan

Anyone familiar with the Taichung City area and can recommend a good gym with a power rack and free weights? (and heavier dumbbells hopefully)

any suggestions in Hsinchu? near Science Park?
any bad reports of places in Hsinchu?
also would like to know what the prices range around-
thanks

[quote=ā€œkjonesā€]any suggestions in Hsinchu? near Science Park?
any bad reports of places in Hsinchu?
also would like to know what the prices range around-
thanks[/quote]

Thereā€™s a place that some refer to as ā€œghetto gymā€ around the Guangfu/Nanda Area. Apparently itā€™s quite crummy, but inexpensive. If it has a legitimate name, Iā€™m not sure what it is. I can try to get more info if youā€™re interested. H2O (the swimming megapalace thingy) has equipment as well, but Iā€™m not sure what youā€™re looking for. If youā€™re female, I think thereā€™s a Curves out that way, too. No doubt one of the globogyms will be expanding there soon too. Every major name wants an outlet near the science park, and theyā€™d almost have a monopoly at this point. Just give it time. Iā€™m surprised it hasnā€™t happened yet; they could make a killing out there.

I just recently arrived in Taipei and probably going to stay for a minimum of 3 to 6 months to learn some Chinese. I live like 1-2 blocks away from the Taipei Main Station MRT. I noticed a California Fitness there and spoke with one of their reps. They say they only have 1 year contracts at around NT$1,999/ month for every day access. Does anyone else know of any gyms in this same vicinity that has modern equipment with at least elliptical machines and free weights, that accept short term memberships or even month-by-month? I did like the equipment at California Fitness, but canā€™t commit to 1 year, especially with the horror stories Iā€™ve read on this thread, about stopping or quitting the contract. Any pearls of wisdom is appreciated on this subject!

merrick, if you are only staying for 3-6months, your best bet may be to work out at the sports centers. itā€™s 50NT/hour session, which if you go every single day is 1500NT/month and obviously less if you go less often. they also have olympic or half-olympic pools at 110NT/session. they have good equipment that is suitable for pretty much most exercises. the only limitation you will run into is the weight of dumbbells, which are typically limited to 55-65lbs and the fact that they donā€™t have a proper squat rack. they have lots of plates, however for the barbell exercises.

there are currently supposed to be 11 of these in the city with the newest one being the daā€™an sports center. they are planning 12 of these total.

anyone know what a decent rate is at world gym elite in taipei 101? i am going to check with them tonight but wanted to know if what they offer is on par with others.

the weight equipment at the sports centers have been great for my purposes until recently. specifically i am looking for a place with a proper squat rack, since i donā€™t have a spotter. other than xinyi sports center, this is the most convenient gym to me.

i spent 1100NT last month 50NT at a time at the xinyi sports center for their weight room, and i canā€™t imagine the membership for the world gym is going to be multiples of that. but i could be wrong.

thanks!

Being Sport is in the Bus Station on the north side, across the street, of Taipei Main Station. It is on the 8th floor. It is a new gym with lots of cardio machines, some weight machines, free weights, classes and a pool. It is a good gym and cheaper than California, also without the flashy lights of California.

Any one hear any recent news regarding California Fitness in Taiwan? Chinese teacher told me he heard a rumor they would be brought by someone else possibly Worldā€™s a few weeks ago, which seems strange since my branch, Da-An, used to be Worldā€™s when I first came to Taiwan. I have a life time membership so a bit concernedā€¦

Itā€™s true. California Fitness is now owned by World Gym. I hope that they now get their act together with regards to quality control!

Itā€™s true. California Fitness is now owned by World Gym. I hope that they now get their act together with regards to quality control![/quote]
Hereā€™s a link that explains the sale.

Itā€™s true. California Fitness is now owned by World Gym. I hope that they now get their act together with regards to quality control![/quote]

Any reason to believe World Gym wouldnā€™t honor existing contracts with California Fitness? Heard there was suppose to be a press conference talking about their policy towards existing members but havenā€™t seen anything I can read (e.g, in English).

Not holding my breath regarding quality control improving though, when Da-An was owned by World Gym it was a dump with lots of broken equipment before the makeover post acquisitionā€¦

Hereā€™s a link that explains the sale.[/quote]

Thanks for the link. :bow: Hope it wonā€™t affect my existing membershipā€¦

The info in the link is contrary to what has been reported on a few TV newscasts already. What I saw on the tube mentioned that itā€™s not for sure that all existing California Gym locations would be purchased or continuing on in the new plan. And there was concern noted already about memberships and what will all take place, as can be expected.

Weā€™ve been a member of the Goldā€™s Gym in Xindian for 2 1/2 years. They started out good, but have steadily gone down the toilet. Weights are left on the benches and all over the floor, the trainers set their clipboards and towels on equipment they are not even using and the shower area is about to collapse, with tiles falling off the walls like crazy leaving gaping holes. I wish theyā€™d clean their own house before they go and expand like that.

is world gym cheaper than california ?

You mean World Gym? The falling tiles bug me too. But not really.

You mean World Gym? The falling tiles bug me too. But not really.[/quote]
Yes.

The tiles in the showers have been a problem for the past couple years. They patched them, but the foundation is the problem. Itā€™s like trying to attach tiles to beach sand.

Thatā€™s difficult to answer because at both World and California, it all depends on how aggressively you negotiate and whether you buy single location or multiple location access.

[quote=ā€œCraigTPEā€]

Thatā€™s difficult to answer because at both World and California, it all depends on how aggressively you negotiate and whether you buy single location or multiple location access.[/quote]

How much does a single location pass cost at World gym? Iā€™ve heard people gotten NT1200 a month deals, but a friend said he was offered NT1700 ?

Do they give out free passes for use in international locations?

It probably sounds like Iā€™m penny pinching but for something I only use once every two days, an hour at max, Iā€™m not looking to overpay.

[quote=ā€œTaipeiDā€][quote=ā€œCraigTPEā€]

Thatā€™s difficult to answer because at both World and California, it all depends on how aggressively you negotiate and whether you buy single location or multiple location access.[/quote]

How much does a single location pass cost at World gym? Iā€™ve heard people gotten NT1200 a month deals, but a friend said he was offered NT1700 ?

Do they give out free passes for use in international locations?

It probably sounds like Iā€™m penny pinching but for something I only use once every two days, an hour at max, Iā€™m not looking to overpay.[/quote]
My partner and I have a single-location membership (Xindian) on a ā€œfamily planā€. One is 1200/mo and the other is 1000/mo. We bought that 2.5 years ago.

Yes, they have travel passes.

Last Oct. when California treated me ill I got mad and wrote on membership discontinual form ā€œyouā€™re going out of business sooner or laterā€ and now it did happenā€¦ :unamused: