Fitness Centres in Taiwan

Did they go out of business? I thought they sold it all to World gym ?

I liked the world gym in neihu…

The California clubs were aquired by World Gym. World Gym is honoring all of California’s members. Even giving them a chance to catch up for 60 days (expiring 11-30-2010). They are doing everything possible to make the transistion as beneficial to the exsisting membership base as possible. Example: California all island Origianlly 6 clubs is now 17 clubs (not including 101) and not just limited to the original 6 locations. Lifetime members keep their rates etc etc. Please check worldgymtaiwan.com for details. There is even a direct line to our back office for questions that the clubs may not be able to answer. They only speak chinese so PLEASE feel free to call my club at the 101 location. Ask for the General Manager or the Operations Manager. We both speak english and we can help with any questions you may have. 02 8101-8108

The pricing is standardized for all of Taipei. Specials are ran according to marketing plans. Like in most business that operate outside of government control, specials are ran, and they usually last for a period of time, and eventually expire. I have been contemplating posting anything because of the practices of selling with this forum but I promise to have credibility in the pricepoint based on your needs. There are simple economics for business to exsist and we must take this into consideration. For those of you that have toured my club at 101, I have always shot a straight price and I stand by my sales practices. Craig is a special case because he was grandfathered in on an old Alexander promo that was on the internet. Unfortunately we no longer have that promotion. I respect Craig alot and understand his concerns, and for that shower situation, I am sorry. Unfortunately, I can only control what is in my gym, but I will follow up offline about the shower situation. I do apologize on behalf of World Gym and I will bring it to their attention, personally.

Our future growth upon this acquisition will help increase the awareness of health and fitness in Taiwan. By the end 2012 World Gym plans to add 15 more new clubs.

Taiwanese reporters were in my club trying to bring opposition and fear with our members of overcrowding in our club at 101. I feel the reporters were only trying to stir up controversy and drama :no-no: . Such is the news reporters style inTaiwan. The early reports were prior to the official press release and they were going off of leaked info and they were making up the rest. The report where the owner of World Gym (white guy) is speaking Chinese, is the real story, and the time of the official press release.

Any questions concerning exsisting memberships with California, please feel free to call our location at 101. 02 8101-8018

Nick, the manager of the 101 World Gym ( formerly the manager of the Xindian location ) is an upright guy and does a great job. When he first took over in Xindian, the sales and customer service teams improved tremendously over the old Energym days. We miss him in Xindian.

That being said, there are still a couple issues I have with World Gym Taiwan in general and the Xindian location specifically.

Gym membership sales in Taiwan is no different than in the US. It’s a lot like buying a car, where you need to negotiate aggressively to get to the best price, and even then you’ll probably meet someone who got a better deal. The only gym I’ve ever belonged to over the past 20 years that had clear, direct, transparent pricing was Gold’s Gym in San Francisco: there was one price for month to month and one for annual. Period. California Fitness, like it’s former affiliate 24-Hour in the US, was the worst. You pretty much had to walk out on them before they would chase you down with a reasonable deal. Nobody is suggesting that a private gym should not make a fair profit but that doesn’t change the feeling that membership sales is a dirty game.

Secondly, I am not so sure that bigger is necessarily better for a gym in Taiwan. Just look at Alexander, the now defunct formerly largest chain in Taiwan. I don’t need locations all over the island as I will always just use the one most convenient to me. That’s just me, though, but I think a gym can be most successful if they provide a superior product at however many locations they offer. With respect to World acquiring California, I would have more confidence if they were taking better care of existing locations ( specifically Xindian ).

With Christmas right around the corner, here is my wish list for World Gym Xindian:

1. Fix the damn shower area already. The walls have been crumbling for a couple years already.

2. Teach the trainers some gym etiquette. For example stop using adjacent equipment as towel racks/clipboard holders or doing floor work under the one and only cable machine.

With managers like Nick around , there is hope for World Gym Taiwan, but I hope the company hasn’t bitten off more than they can chew. They need to take better care of existing facilities, maintain good customer service and ( this is a stretch) offer fair, transparent pricing. I’m not holding my breath on the last one, especially given the elimination of the only major competitor.

:laughing: It’s good to know that you understand the nature of the media beast here. You’ve got them pegged.

Very cool. Sounds like a standup kind of guy. I’ve been to the 101 location. My opinions were no less. I’m looking forward to seeing one in Shi-Da area.

Anyone know a gym where they don’t have a hissyfit if you drop a barbell?

Taipei gym. Its in a basement so you don’t have to worry about neighbors. I’ve seen them throw metal a time or two in there. You may want to check first. Taipei City, song shan district, ba de rd, No658. B-1

Can anyone recommend a good, reasonably priced gym in Tienmu or around the MRT main station? I only know about World Gym, but I’m a bit wary of going there again, had a bad experience with them in Hsinchu. They charged my card an additional 3 months after my membership terminated…

Did they go out of business? I thought they sold it all to World gym ?

I liked the world gym in Neihu…[/quote]
If California is doing so great, they don’t have to sell it and cease all operation under California name. So California is out, for sure. I hope World Gym do not make the same mistake of arrogance.

But well, now I like the municipal sports center the best… new, clean, diverse, cheap and flexible. you buy what you need. :2cents:

I am thinking of looking at the Worlds Gym on XinYi/Fuxing at MRT Daan. Its a good location for me. Any thoughts on that particular branch or is there another recommendation? :ponder:

Hi,

Im looking at joining a gym, so looking for gyms in my area.
Live on DunHua N Road (200m from TGIF)

So far i have found GoGym at Taipei Arena that is close by, wondering if anyone knows of any other options that i can check out before making my decision?

You can try Being Sport on Min-Sheng near the San-Min intersection (roundabout).

Hmm, I was wondering about this place. How is it? anyone’s been there?

Hmm, I was wondering about this place. How is it? anyone’s been there?[/quote]
I’ve been going for over 2 years now. I like it. No hassle, little bullshit to deal with. Price isn’t bad. Everyone’s tastes, wants and needs vary though. If you want more specifics, send me a PM and I’ll fill you in.

Hi Everybody ,

Firstly, can somebody recommend me a gym that is near SYS memorial hall MRT or Taipei City Hall MRT ?

thanks.
Ricky

Here are some:

Xin Yi Yun Dong Zhong Xin Community Center
台北市信義區松勤街100號電話:02-8786-1911 Cheapest per hour

Lamigo
台北市信義區松仁路101號B1-B2 Most expensive - very spa oriented and resturaunts

101 World Gym Elite
101 building 6th floor Song zhi elevator near starbucks in main tower. World gym is mainly fitness focused.

Da an station World Gym. Inexpensive good location. Right above the MRT station at Da an.

Try them all out. We will give a pass to try it. Not sure about the other locations

I’m looking for a hardcore gym near Yonghe. Any suggestions?

This means they let you grunt and drop heavy weights to the floor and encourage hardcore training.

I’m currently trying out True Fitness in Guting, but they have a problem with the weights dropping to the floor and making noise. This is unavoidable on heavy lifts such as deadlifts and power cleans and I’m worried they won’t even let me do T-bar rows in the corner cause it might damage their facility or make too much noise.

Anyone who’s a serious weight lifter knows this is really annoying and it can be dangerous to slowly place heavy weight to the floor just cause “it makes too much noise”.

Anyone knows if World Gym has this stupid noise policy too? Or any other gyms for that matter? Thx

[quote=“deviljin”]I’m looking for a hardcore gym near Yonghe. Any suggestions?

This means they let you grunt and drop heavy weights to the floor and encourage hardcore training.

I’m currently trying out True Fitness in Guting, but they have a problem with the weights dropping to the floor and making noise. This is unavoidable on heavy lifts such as deadlifts and power cleans and I’m worried they won’t even let me do T-bar rows in the corner cause it might damage their facility or make too much noise.

Anyone who’s a serious weight lifter knows this is really annoying and it can be dangerous to slowly place heavy weight to the floor just cause “it makes too much noise”.

Anyone knows if World Gym has this stupid noise policy too? Or any other gyms for that matter? Thx[/quote]

I feel your pain. My friend and I do Crossfit workouts in the Taida gym and receive the same complaints. We’re actually looking into opening a facility that will encourage “hardcore” training. We’ll keep you posted.

Yeah, it’s a pain in the butt and can sap all the energy and hype out of your workouts due to needing to watch how much noise you are making

Check out this vid:

youtube.com/watch?v=CoW0kuuIyOA

Anyone know where this gym’s at? This is exactly the kind of gym I’m looking for with heavy-duty squat rack and equipment and no rules on clanking and making noise…I wasn’t even close to being this loud and got called out wtf