Fix this sentence

A recent topic is titled “Which fruit can I eat all of it in one go?

Doesn’t that English strike you as odd?

It seems to me that the sentence starts to go off the rails with the phrase “all of it”.

Part 1: Which fruit can I eat? (sounds fine)

Part 2: Can I eat all of it in one go? (sounds fine)

Combined: Which fruit can I eat all of it in one go? (sounds odd)

What exactly is happening here to cause the sense of oddity?

I guess the least invasive correction would be “Which fruit can I eat in its entirety in one go?”, though that still sounds a little stiff.

3 Likes

‘Which fruit can I eat all in one go?’ seems fine to me. ‘All in one go’ being the colloquial version of ‘in its entirety’. I don’t think it’s necessary to emphasize ‘at one sitting’ if you’ve already said ‘it its entirety’. It’s kinda obvious.

2 Likes

Get rid of the word “it”.

Think about it, someone wants to use an app to buy food.

“Which app can I use to buy food” totally fine.

“Which app can I use it to buy food” don’t need the word “it” the subject is already specified by “Which app”

2 Likes

I would replace ‘all of it’ with ‘completely’.

Which fruit can I eat completely at once?

2 Likes

Right, good analysis.

“I can eat all of which fruit in one go?”

“Which fruit can I eat all of in one go?”

Or even, perhaps:

“Of which fruit can I eat all in one go?”
:thinking:

1 Like

"Eat all in one go of which fruit I can? " - Yoda, 2023

10 Likes

He’s Irish? :shamrock:

1 Like

Some more options:

All of which fruit can I eat in one go?

Which fruit can I eat all of in one go?

In one go, which fruit can I eat all of?

What fruit can I Bogart in one go?

2 Likes

Even more concise:

What fruit can I throat goat?

2 Likes

From whence doth thine bringth thy fruit to ones gobhole and devour within six breaths and a tuppance? what-oh!

5 Likes

You’ve clearly been hanging out with the cool kids.

Nah.

Bit like saying Traditional Chinese is odd and expecting Simplified. People dislike RP English and the way regional dialects were repressed in media in the 20th century, English is a very “piss with the cock ya got” language today.

1 Like

It’s redundant. What fruit can I eat in one go? Of course “in one go” means the whole thing, or else we would require 2 or more go’s.

We could set off the redundant part in the original sentence with M dashes or commas in order to emphasize something in case of misunderstanding. “What fruit can I eat – all of it – in one go?” But it’s not necessary here because no one could possibly misunderstand.

Not if you have to spit out pips or get rid of the skin etc, in which case you would not be eating ‘all of it’. So in the case of a blueberry, you could eat ‘all of it’, however with say a coconut, you could technically eat ‘all of it’, but that might be a bad move.

1 Like

I.e. not what the OP is looking for. :roll_eyes::smirk:

1 Like

Oh, is that the case? I didn’t read the actual thread so I have no idea what direction the discussion was going. I thought “all of it” was the edible part. I was thinking bananas are easy enough but durian or watermelon is a bit much for one go. That’s why clear writing requires clear thinking and putting yourself in others’ shoes…so people can get the gist and be interested or not interested without having to peruse the whole discussion or article first. Then I might reword it “What fruit can you eat (i.e., no pips or skin) in one go.” But these are principles for newspapers or other professional publications…even so, its not unusual on these forums that I’m left perusing entire discussions until I can get the title. At any rate, whatever the meaning or correction, this particular title could use some improvement. Some native speakers are more naturally clear thinkers and communicators than others…while others are better at intuition.

1 Like

Well I guess in that case the answer might perhaps vary depending on whether you were internalising a chomskyist, a discursive constructivist, or a purely phenomen-illogical epistemological framework. Personally I dislike watermelons - And I can’t quite put my finger on the reason why, for on surface value they should appear appealing, however the image of an intrepid shopper from the top of the east asian population pyramid tapping a water melon as if prospecting for oil using hyper sonic blasts turned me off the fruit upon first arriving at the pacific rim. The cameo role of watermelons in KTV culture doesn’t help me either, it creates in me a sense of combined culinary and cultural disembodiment, which is not ameliorated upon the experience of eating large quantities but feeling always empty and unsatisfied with a mouth full of pips. Durian on the other hand I find to be an abomination upon this earth and the primary cause of my current familial spousal estrangement. Bananas I personally find to be accepting depending on the cultivar.

Why do you say that?

I’m not entirely sure, but I guess watermelons do appear as a substantial and aesthetically appealing fruit in terms of colour, volume and overall promise. However for whatever reason I find that they have an effect on me not entirely unlike that which ducks have upon Tony Soprano.

1 Like