Flash mob dance at Taipei Main Station (Sunday March 11)

Jointly organized by Migrante International’s Taiwan Chapter and ATKI-Taiwan the Association of Indonesian Migrant Workers, an association for Indonesian workers in Taiwan, the flash mob is to begin at 1pm in the station’s main concourse.

Think they are using the wrong definition of “flash mob”, but irregardless should be interesting for those up north, as Tpe main station on Sundays is always super crowded with foreign workers.

A flash mob (or flashmob)[1] is a group of people who assemble suddenly in a public place, perform an unusual and seemingly pointless act for a brief time, then quickly disperse, often for the purposes of entertainment, satire, and artistic expression.[2][3][4] Flash mobs are organized via telecommunications, social media, or viral emails.

But every Sunday is a flash mob of migrant workers at Taipei station. How will this differ?

2 Likes

So what is the definition of ‘irregardless’?

2 Likes

Not without consideration of that.

Unexpectedly finding oneself in the absence of anyone with the given name Irregard, a rarely-used variant on the more popular given name Beauregard.

3 Likes

Irregardless, what is a flash dance?

I feel a number coming on. Lights please…

When the Forumosa Flash Mob goes viral, will we be ready for superstardom? @discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: My sources say no

Okay, let’s keep things low key for now. The maids and nannies can do Taipei Main, but we should stick to the obscure stations until we’re ready.

1 Like

uhmmmm

I like @Rocket 's reply, ha ha.

_

Kory Stamper, a lexicographer for Merriam-Webster and author of “Word by Word: The Secret Life of Dictionaries,” told us that “irregardless” is a word in the dictionary, and how to use it correctly. Following is a transcript of the video.

“Irregardless” is a word and we’re duty-bound to enter it.

My name is Kory Stamper and I am a lexicographer for Merriam-Webster. That means I am a writer and editor of dictionaries.

One word that gets a lot of vitriol is the word “irregardless.” There is a dictionary entry for “irregardless.” “Irregardless” is a word. This inspires specific vehement hatred in people. “Irregardless” is a word and we’re duty-bound to enter it.

“Irregardless” is a word. It is related to “regardless.” It is actually a blend of two words. It’s a blend of “irrespective” and “regardless.” People hate it because they say that it has no use — why not just use “regardless”?

But actually in the dialect that “irregardless” comes from, it has a specific use that doesn’t translate well in print. It’s basically an emphatic use of “regardless.” So if you’re a native speaker of certain dialects that use “irregardless” you use “irregardless” to shut down further conversation on a topic. I might say, “Dad, let me borrow the car. I’m a really good driver.” And he’ll say, “Regardless, I’m not comfortable.” I’ll say, “Oh but come on. I’ll get it detailed, and I’ll put gas in it.” He’ll say, “Irregardless, no.”

The point of the “irregardless” is to shut down conversation. So “irregardless” is a word. It has a specific use, in particular dialects. That said, it’s not part of standard English and so — especially if you’re writing or if you’re speaking in formal places — you want to use “regardless” instead. Because if you use “irregardless,” people will think you’re uneducated.

According to Wiki it’s been in print since 1795. It’s only recently that people figured out it doesn’t make sense.

I ain’t having it in my house.

2 Likes

Just get Trump to use it in a tweet. It’ll be the new covfefe!