Flashcard Project (Group Creation of Flashcards)

A while back I had the idea of starting a wiki (or something) where people could add to flashcard lists. I then though there could be a way that the list that were made could be used in different flashcard programs (like supermemo :smiley:) or just printed and used.

Then some time back I saw a website that had the ability to group edit word/excel documents (I canā€™t remember the name of the site, but i think they were bought by google.)

If some format could be adhered to, large flashcard sets could be made by a bunch of people using their leisure time (instead of one pounding away at a computer day after day.)

Just a though (anyone know that site Iā€™m talking about?)

Ah! Found ā€œthe real thing.ā€ Anyone want to get started?

google.com/googlespreadsheets/tour1.html

Flashcards can be made in spreadsheets for supermemo. Hereā€™s how:
mapletop.com/supermemo/manua ā€¦ m#TSVFileA

And hereā€™s the original site I was talking aboutā€¦
www2.writely.com/info/WritelyOverflowWelcome.htm

(three posts in a row :smiley:)

Hi!

You guys have got me really hyped about supermemo and all these flashcard lists. Iā€™m definitely a flashcard learner; I have thousands organized into neat little piles around my room, and Iā€™d love to keep them all in a handy palm. Iā€™m going to buy that new TX soon.

I really want to help! But I donā€™t know how to do this stuff. I donā€™t have Excel right now, and even if I did, I donā€™t know how to use it, especially for creating Chinese flashcard lists. I know Miltownkid posted a website with instructions/information, but Iā€™m TERRIBLE on computers, and it kind of goes over my head.

Maybe, in order to get a serious, concerted effort going to create coordinated flashcard lists, someone (like Miltownkid, or any of various others that seem knowledgeable about this stuff) could pick a Sunday to have a short ā€œinstructional meeting.ā€ Then everyone would be on the same page and we could make some serious progress.

Or maybe Iā€™m the only one who doesnā€™t know how to create these listsā€¦Iā€™m seriously behind in the tech. department, but I love Chinese and flashcards!

Just an idea =)

Itā€™s actually really easy to make the lists, but itā€™s a tedious process. The oneā€™s I made thus far equate to many mans hours of typing.

Iā€™d be willing to take my laptop somewhere and show someone how to go about making the lists. Iā€™d like to get them into a format that could used across multiple programs (not just supermemo, even though itā€™s my favorite.)

You might want to get in contact with Adam Sheik. He has a top-notch program for Cantonese. Itā€™s basically a collaborative dictionary.

Take a look at:
cantonese.sheik.co.uk/dictio ā€¦ rds/13994/
cantonese.sheik.co.uk/scripts/wordlist.htm

He might be willing to let you in on how he has that thing set up.