Flat panel displays (televisions)

I only watch tv at night as a rule.

I’m warming to the idea of a projector. These things never look right in a store where they have plenty of light, or a pub which still plenty of light.

In a darkened room it would be go, I think. I’d also get past the put the light on to watch the light from the tv. Double bonus points.

So, 34" tv for the daytime and 100" at night sounds like the go.

a projector is a bit out of my price range, but it would be GREAT for movies…not to mention pro rasslin and NBA games…I shall consider…

No thumbs ups for the plasma huh?? hmmm

so how about there where? Where is the price right??

I just bought a 42" LG plasma, and I love it. DVD is awesome, but regular cable is a little disappointing on some channels. Then again Taiwanese cable is disappointing in general.
I love the RGB input that allows me to connect my computer. I’ve been playing the PC version of NHL 2005 on the TV, and it is an awesome experience comparted to playing on my computer monitor. It’s also great for watching downloaded TV shows and documentaries (if the resolution of the download is good). I’ve been a little worried about so called “burn in”, but I don’t think it will be an issue if care is taken.

If you can afford it I would go for a plasma. One caveat: I have never watched a projection TV, so I cannot compare the two.

Which projector would you be looking at? 35,000nt is cheap.

Amos and Hobart how much did you spend on the projectors?

I did notice on the USA site the talk about USD3,500 but that could be for a dedicated home movie theatre with a really large wall size screen.

100" is good enough.

I’m looking at doing the same thing Hobart mentions. Just stick it on a small table and go then store it away in the tv cabinet for now. Ceiling fancy installation later. (maybe)

Which projector would you be looking at? 35,000nt is cheap.

Amos and Hobart how much did you spend on the projectors?

I did notice on the USA site the talk about USD3,500 but that could be for a dedicated home movie theatre with a really large wall size screen.

100" is good enough.

I’m looking at doing the same thing Hobart mentions. Just stick it on a small table and go then store it away in the tv cabinet for now. Ceiling fancy installation later. (maybe)[/quote]I paid around $NT60 000 I think it was. Mine sits on top of my xbox next to my LCD tv and projects over my wifes head onto the wall. That way, she can watch her cable, me my satellite and we’re in the same room. I need so DTS wireless headphones next though.

I bought a Benq 3250 (32" LCD) a month ago. 49,900NT at Nova Hsinchu (official Benq dealer). The screen is great with the above mentioned limitations for Taiwanese cable. The TV has all features needed.

The 32/37" LCDs are getting a good value for their price now, since they are in mass production on optimized manufacturing lines in Taiwan since this summer. The Benq is produced at AUOs G6 line in Taichung. The 37" Benq should come out soon, they started production in July.

For everything bigger then that (LCD) I would wait until the mainstream of Generation 7 or 8 production lines go into mass production (maybe around end of next year). Then there will be a good price drop for 43/45/47" LCDs.

[quote=“Shiner”]I bought a Benq 3250 (32" LCD) a month ago. 49,900NT at Nova Hsinchu (Xinzhu) (official Benq dealer). The screen is great with the above mentioned limitations for Taiwanese cable. The TV has all features needed.

The 32/37" LCDs are getting a good value for their price now, since they are in mass production on optimized manufacturing lines in Taiwan since this summer. The Benq is produced at AUOs G6 line in Taichung. The 37" Benq should come out soon, they started production in July.

For everything bigger then that (LCD) I would wait until the mainstream of Generation 7 or 8 production lines go into mass production (maybe around end of next year). Then there will be a good price drop for 43/45/47" LCDs.[/quote]

oohh, 37" benq…I’m tingling…been a share holder in AUO for a year and change…glad to see the product is well thought of. :slight_smile:

Do you know when it will hit the shelves?

The 3750 is already introduced on Benq’s US website. Don’t know when they plan to sell it in Taiwan.
Eehm, the shares I would rather sell now… Buy them back half year later (or so)

[quote=“Shiner”]The 3750 is already introduced on Benq’s US website. Don’t know when they plan to sell it in Taiwan.
Eehm, the shares I would rather sell now… Buy them back half year later (or so)[/quote]

Nah, I’m a stubborn bastard. I’ll hold, get the dividend and split shares…and see what happens. :slight_smile:

jdsmith wrote[quote]Getting back to the projector…is the picture that good? Can it also be hooked up to my PC? Do dvds come across clear? It doesn’t look like a transparency on the wall?

ps…how would that birthday vcd look at 100" Ironman? [/quote]Picture quality is great IMO. Projectors have all kinds of inputs, S-Video, Composite Video, Component (YcbCr/YPbPr) RGB: DVI (HDCP). So hooking up you notebook isn’t a problem. I’ve ran my notebook, xbox, satellite, cable and DVD player through it at some time or another and they all look sweet. If your wall’s white and you use the better connections, they it’ll look good.

I have a 32inch MAG that I paid 39k for at 3C. The first one blew up 2 weeks after I bought it and with some wrangling was replaced rather than fixed.

I have mixed emotions, the main thing is that it really highlights the shitty cable quality. The picture is fantastic but it does tend to brighten out when looking at it from an angle. My living room is almost 22 feet wide, and because of that 3 out of 5 people sitting in my living room are going to have the washed out screen. I don’t like this at all, but for the most part am pleased with the set. It is very nice looking.

Lastly, humor Ironman for awhile…By the time he makes up his mind which set to buy, the only place you’ll be able to find a panel/projector will be in a museum… :smiling_imp:

Time for the dish I think

[quote=“MJB”]Lastly, humor Ironman for awhile…By the time he makes up his mind which set to buy, the only place you’ll be able to find a panel/projector will be in a museum… :smiling_imp:

Time for the dish I think[/quote]

I took two years to buy a Toshiba 61" rear projector in Australia. Worth the wait. My X wife still enjoys a great picture. :slight_smile:

Dish. Yes, good idea. Especially if your wife does not have trouble with English. Then, as Amos mentioned, a great idea to have a projector overhead and use earphones.

Either that or divorce and a new wife. Whichever is cheaper and has less maintenance concerns.

“The main difference between LCD and plasma is the fact that LCDs are not yet available in sizes above 40” - so far the biggest LCD I have seen here is 37""

Actually, there is a 45" LCD available from Sharp. Last time I checked it was around 300,000 NT.

Samsung has a 46" for around the same price. Sony announce a 46" for 3Q05, LG announced a 55" for 3Q05

No personal experience yet since I am still looking for the “perfect set” but here is something you should consider if you are interested in HDTV or want to future-proof your display (as far as that is possible).
There is a new standard (sort of) called ‘HD-Ready’. Display devices that carry this logo fullfil certain criteria, namely:

• HDMI or DVI input with HDCP (High Definition Content Protection)
  • Display Scanning Format: Has active vertical scanning lines of 720 progressive (720p), 1080 interlaced (1080i), or higher
  • Aspect Ratio: 16:9

In particular the HDMI/DVI input might prove useful and you must have HDCP to watch HDTV content via (future) DVD players, SAT receivers etc.) that use HDCP via the HDMI/DVI output!
If no HDCP is available in your display device at best you will have to watch a downscaled picture (via analog connections perhaps), at worst the screen remains black.

BTW: The new BenQ displays were shown at the Computex, very nice from what I could see there. Haven’t seen them in a shop anywhere yet though …

If you want to shop for plasma/LCD head down to Guting, there are 4 shops (Daiichi, Fortress, TKEC and Xinshang) around the MRT station that have quite a few models on display.

Currently, Sharp, Proton Electronics Industrial and Kolin are the only LCD TV vendors shipping 37-inch LCD TVs in Taiwan, with prices ranging from NT$75,000 to NT$80,000 (US$2,350-2,506).

However, other LCD TV players are also aggressively pushing models for the 37-inch segment this quarter. BenQ, Teco Electric & Machinery and Sampo will introduce products this month, while ViewSonic and Toshiba plan to launch products in September, sources added.

(Digitimes 05/08/02)

Make sure you get a PAL NTSC TV… Secondlt make sure it has RF Tuners for both PAL NTSC…

Good projectors with special chipsets for satellite receivers start at around NT$35k… brilliant pictures and you can resize them any size you want…

Flat Screen ( Not plasma or LCD) CRT Sony PAL NTSC Trinitron Digital TV’s are about NT$17,000 ( At least thats what I can get them for ) Hobart paid 40K :noway: :noway:

I bought a small multisystem 21inch Sony Flat screen for me missus bedroom for NT$10K in January

I bought a decent flat screen CRT set with HDTV capability. I was also looking at LCD TVs at the time. I decided against one as looking at most LCDs from the wrong angles will negatively affect their picture quality. I’m very happy with my set; and the picture quality with satellite TV is quite nice from every angle. :sunglasses:

Yes, it was a nice surprise to see your CRT flat screen Toasty, they actually give the best picture quality out there.

What are you planning on putting in your bedroom?

Yes, it was a nice surprise to see your CRT flat screen Toasty, they actually give the best picture quality out there.[/quote]I agree. I started watching football on my LCD TV last night and then retreated to the bedroom and watched the 2nd half on my CRT. The CRT gives a better picture when watching any fast motion sport. Movies are a different kettle of fish, but sports, CRT is better (IMHO).