Flat panel displays (televisions)

I’m thinking of buying a TV. After just a quick look at the flat panel options at a couple of stores, I was very amazed by the good picture quality, particularly the wide viewing angle, of the LCD displays.

Is there any reason why I should make the bigger investment into a PDP? I honestly didn’t see a difference between the LCDs and PDPs, and of course the LCDs are quite a bit cheaper.

And why is it that my laptop LCD has such a crappy viewing angle compared to the large units I saw for use as televisions?

My 2 cents:

The main difference between LCD and plasma is the fact that LCDs are not yet available in sizes above 40" - so far the biggest LCD I have seen here is 37" while plasmas can be had in sizes up to 60". For equal size there doesn’t seem to be such a big difference in price however.

Plasmas consume a lot of energy which comes is mostly dissipated as heat (great for winter in Taiwan :wink: ), as well there are rumours that plasmas can loose gas and thus brightness will decrease over time. Supposingly the cells containing the gas aren’t that sealed and refilling is of course not possible. There are further issues of burn-in effects, i.e. a static picture (mostly from PC applications or games but also TV station logos) shown for a long period of time might burn itself into the fluorescent layer and thus remain visible, just like on a CRT TV. Screen-savers (and channel-hopping) may avoid that though and depending what you expect as to the life-time of the screen you might not be affected by it.

LCDs on the other hand suffer from buzzing (noise) on bigger areas of the same color, but it’s visible on close view only. Some are better than others when it comes to off-axis viewing, something you should pay attention to when using it for watching TV as the viewing distance is greater. Fast moving pictures present also a bit of a problem to LCDs, so it should have a fast response time. 16ms would be very good, 25-30ms is considered acceptable.

For both, plasmas and LCDs, pay attention to the color reproduction, some don’t manage to portray an infinite number (i.e. 16 million shades), thus resulting in ugly VCD-like effects.
If you want to use the screen for PC viewing, too, you should select a display with a native resolution of 1024x768 at least. That will limit your options and force you to look at the higher priced models.
And of course you need to check on the connectivity, what AV, and perhaps PC, connections you need now and may need in future. Some plasmas can be ordered / equipped with different modules for this purpose. The minimum is a progressive scan (PS) capable component (aka YUV) connection.

On a more personal note I prefer LCD screens, they seem to give a more 3-D like effect when compared to plasmas and the colors appear more vivid. At the size I am interested in (>37") there isn’t much difference in the price between plasma and LCD, they are both very expensive at around 250k.
If I had to choose a plasma I would probably only settle for a Panasonic (PW6 series).

The biggest “disadvantage” of plasmas and LCDs is that they will show up any flaw in the source, something that could be a problem with the local TV broadcast. Hence they show their true strength with hi-def, DVD (PS) or PC sources only.

That’s all very good information. I think I need to make a visit to the stores again- I didn’t notice that the prices are same on an inch-for-inch basis. I did notice heat coming off the LCDs (but not the PDPs), and I’ll have to check for noise problems. Thanks for all the tips. Considering that 37" or less is fine for me (and for my pocketbook!), I’ll probably stick with the LCD.

I got one of those ahem “cheapo” 42" Taiwan made plasmas about 6 months ago, cost me right around NT$100,000. I thought it would be nice in my bedroom in 5 years when I can replace it with a 60 inch LCD for the around NT$40,000. Wishful thinking? Maybe not. Just 5 years ago, I paid just over NT$40,000 for a 29 inch Flat screen Panasonic Tau CRT.

I believe the trend is towards LCD and similar technologies (which aren’t commercially available yet). In particular since LCDs can now be manufactured in bigger sizes they become more attractive. Just look around the stores, not many CRT sets around anymore as LCD screens are substituting them (sizes below 32"). I heard that some manufactueres will give up production of CRT-based TV sets soon.

Plasmas were first but they may not be the best choice and really establish themselves for our average John Doe, in particular the high power consumption is a trade-off.
Prices will fall, but perhaps not at the speed you expect it. And Taiwan isnt’ really cheap when it comes to AV electronics, rather on the expensive side of things.

[quote=“Rascal”]Plasmas were first but they may not be the best choice and really establish themselves for our average John Doe, in particular the high power consumption is a trade-off.
[/quote]

So that is why my electricity bill jumped so high! NT$5,000 that past two months!

Related to all this, I’m curious about projection TVs. I’ve seen these occasionally (some airlines, for example, use them). I would think that video projectors would be cheap, but from what I’ve seen browsing the Internet, prices are high. Is it just that the market is small? Why would a video projector cost so much more than an old-style movie projector?

You can get a nice projector to project a TV or DVD movie image on the wall or a cheap pull down screen for as little as US$999 or even less in some cases, but not perhaps good enough for moving images if you it gets too cheap. The one I have cost me about NT$60,000 and it projects an image about 8 feet across, but it is not quite bright enough to watch in the day without the shades being drawn shutting out all light.

Projection TVs usually refers to Rear Projection TVs, aka RPTV. Essentially they consist of a small CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) or LCD/DLP panel producing a picture which then is send via a mirror system onto the screen. Available in sizes between 40-65".
They are rather bulky however and CRT RPTV may need to be adjusted when you move the set. Not many 16:9 sets around in Asia/Taiwan. As with projectors (see below) the light bulb may need to be replaced after a few years of use.
The biggest disadvantage is however that at this size the scanning lines become visible, so if you are into DVD you should make sure to get a RPTV with progressive scan (PS) input - that limits your choice a lot (here).

There are some new sets (around 50") from Sanyo, LG and Kolin based on LCOS display technology which don’t look too bad though the screens were a bit to glary (sp?) for my taste. Cost around NT$150k.

True projectors are best for getting the big picture and nothing can currently beat CRT projectors in terms or brightness and picture quality. Projectors based on other technologies that come close cost more than a new car.
However CRT projectors are usually bulky and need to be set up by an expert and they are usually installed/fixed at a permanent position.
Newer projectors are based on LCD or DPL technology, all have their pros and cons but things are always being improved, so they may well present a good alternative to CRT based projectors, in particular if you want something small size and perhaps portable.
If you want a projector for movies and DVD (maybe HDTV later) you should buy one with a native display in the 16:9 format; projectors aimed at the PC/presentation market are mostly 4:3.
As with RPTVs the lamp might need replacing, though they are specified to last for thousands of hours there is no guarantee that it will - and the bulbs aren’t cheap.
As Hobart says you can display the image on a white wall (or a wooden panel painted white etc.) but a proper screen is more beneficial, not always cheap though.
And as he points out using a projector usually requires to darken the room; that mixed with the installation issues makes them less attractive to our average John Doe and hence the market is rather small, thus the prices are high (not to forget those kind of projectors are a bit more high-tech than the old style movie projectors).

Go with the TFT LCD not the PDP. I have heard that Plamsa does not last as long as the TFT-LCD.

If you have a big living room like I do the price price difference between large plasmas 42 Inches and above versus LCD’s at that size is too much. Do they even make LCD’s 42 inches or above?

If you want one of those little ones, sure go for LCD not because they last longer but because of the power consumption. How long they last is about the same for both or is actually so long that I doubt there is really much difference. Did you know that normal CRT TVs have a lifespan as well. Not much longer than a PLasma or LCD. By the way, if you are going to get one of those littles ones, why not just get a CRT, many times they even have superior pictures over LCDs and Plasmas!

The biggest LCD commercially available right now is the Sharp 37" but plasmas can be had in sizes up to 62".
A LCD with 45" (coming soon) and plasmas prototypes up to 80" (!) were shown at the CES 2004 in Las Vegas; 57" LCD and 100" plasmas have been announced.

BTW: Plasmas are improving in terms of power consumption, comparing LCD and plasma displays of the same size (37") the plasma consumes about 100 Watt more only (about 150W (LCD) / 250W (plasma) total).

Summary of different display types (pro/con)

Interesting link, thanks, I have bookmarked that website. He mentioned JVC’s 65 inch LCOS system, currently running out the door for 8,999US$…ouch. You say that LCOS glare is too strong for you, but that would be on cheaper models. What about on this one? I expect it will come down in price over the next few years.

Hobart mentioned his 60k projector-how does it compare to watching CRT? Which model was it? How much would a screen cost? Seems like a good idea to keep a CRT for daytime casual viewing, and have a projector for night stuff.
Here is a link to projector prices… tigerdirect.com/applications … rceid=5192
and to a review of front projectors…
crutchfieldadvisor.com/ISEO- … n_TVs.html

[quote=“EEzzee!”]Interesting link, thanks, I have bookmarked that website. He mentioned JVC’s 65 inch LCOS system, currently running out the door for 8,999US$…ouch. You say that LCOS glare is too strong for you, but that would be on cheaper models. What about on this one? I expect it will come down in price over the next few years.

Hobart mentioned his 60k projector-how does it compare to watching CRT? Which model was it? How much would a screen cost? Seems like a good idea to keep a CRT for daytime casual viewing, and have a projector for night stuff.
[/quote]

You can get a demo of projectors over at the DEMO store, on Chong Hua Rd. not too far down from Zhong Xiao on the East side of the street. Will look for their card, but it has a big sign that says Demo and they sell mostly Japan imports. I bought the Panasonic AE300, but go for the AE500 as it is the newer model at the same price. The screen cost me between NT$3,000 and NT$6,000. I can’t remember. It was a Da-light or Da-Lite. Compared to a CRT, hmm…you gotta see it. 8 feet across, great blacks, not quite as black though as a CRT. Very good color, no noticable pixelation and very bright (with the lights off). You can have some ambiant light like a lamp dimmed down. If you are interested in projectors, PM me and I will send you some links to sights. One is Projector Central another is the AVS Home Theater Forum.

Thanks for the info Hobart, will check it out at the DEMO store you mentioned. I reviewed a few sites on the internet and have pasted below some more links for anyone that is interested. Have to say, for 50-80k, and accepting the few minor inconveniences-installation, planning layout-placement, heat flow & cables, deciding on screen size, bulb lifespan, and having to darken the room a little to view it-front projectors are clearly the way to go. Everybody who got one raves about them, their friends get jealous, and their kids want to watch toy story. I know that TW houses are generally small, and that people don’t have the ability to make a room into a seperate AV theatre-but in a way, this is a reason to opt for fp as well. Save the space on the CRT, get a wall screen and some speakers, a ceiling mounted fprojector, and one has a 90-100 inch across movie quality picture.

forums:
avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdis … forumid=68

hometheaterforum.com/htforum … forumid=72

AE500 review (seems quite a step above the AE300):
audioenz.co.nz/2004/panasonic_ae500.shtml

My AE300 has a very short throw dsitance as does the AE500. You do not need a big room. Also the AE300 is so small, that I just take it out when I want to watch a DVD, then put it in a cabinent when I am not using it.

The plasma I have is mounted on the wall. The screen pulls down in front of the plasma. Most of the time the screen is up. When I rent a DVD, maybe twice a week, the screen comes down and the AE300 goes on the coffeetable. The whole process takes between 2 to 3 minutes to set up. Nothing to complain about, but when I move one day, I will make sure the projector can be mounted permanently.

I’d like to dig this thread up. I’ll be getting a flat screen TV soon.

I’m curious about Hobart’s electricity bill…is it still so much higher? Was it the plasma?

Anyone got a 32" or bigger LCD recently? How’s is working?HOw’s the picture?

And where did you get it? Good service? Wall mounting done?

I’m looking for a 32" or bigger sceen, can go either way, LCD/PLasma…looking for the facts now from people who already own them…ie firsthand information.

thanks

jds

[quote=“jdsmith”]I’d like to dig this thread up. I’ll be getting a flat screen TV soon.I’m curious about Hobart’s electricity bill…is it still so much higher? Was it the plasma?
jds[/quote]

Feel the back of these things. They are serious heaters.

[quote=“jdsmith”]Anyone got a 32" or bigger LCD recently? How’s is working?HOw’s the picture?And where did you get it? Good service? Wall mounting done?
jds[/quote]

I know a poster got one a few weeks ago and it blew its guts out and had to be replaced immediately. Local brand. Seems to have trouble with side view. The color washes out if your not front and centre.

These are my current options.

1. I’ve just seen a second hand 8 year old 50" Pioneer rear projector for 20,000nt with new globes. It has been in a shop so I’m not likely to buy it. Probably been running 12 hours a day for 8 years. Picture is still good though and it is cheap.

2. 3C have a Toshiba front projector for 35,000 with screen. They are not good with returns so I’ll try somebody else with it.

projectorcentral.com/big_screen_tvs.htm has a lot of information on these.

1. Keep waiting for a good big flat screen at the right price. 50" would do the job.

I bought a no name 42inch Plasma about two years ago for NT$100,000. Still works great. I have to say that my CRT has more contrast, but the 42in Plasma looks great on the wall and takes up less space than a CRT. Of course the Projector is much more cool because it is 100 inches, but I only use it for watching DVDs at night as the daytime viewing is not so great in such a bright room as my living room.

About the wall mount, a lot of them come with wall mounting now. I paid about NT$800 extra and the shop I bought it from mounted it when they delivered.

The electricity bill, well if you are trying to save so much money that you count that sort of thing, then you shouldn’t buy a Plasma but get a CRT instead.

Ironman. I have a bit of everything here.

LCD TV - l bought a polyvision 30inch a couple of months ago. Didn’t bother to wall mount it. Size is plenty big enough for my living room and my living room is quite big. Prices continue to drop. I paid 39K with discount, I believe the same model sells for 34k now. Heat, not an issue. Colour, not an issue.

PROJECTOR - l bought a benQ DLP projector 12 months ago. Fanf$%@#ing tastic for watching big games. AFL, rugby, tennis. I project against my wall and it’s big, bright and beautiful. I paid about 60k l recall. Heat, these things throw out some heat so you need to think about where you want to put it.

I love my projector and bought it because it’s easy to slip into a bag and take back home abroad eventually, a LCD/plasma is not. I love my LCD tv because anything is better than a shitty analogue tv.