Flat panel (LCD) monitors

I was looking at 17" flat-screens the other day and saw a brand with which I’m not familiar – Mozo. Are they any good? I’m trying to decide between that and a Philips, and the Mozo is about 10% cheaper.

Or does anyone have other recommendations for which one would be best? They all seem to cost around NT$15K, so I’d like it to last a few decades.

I’ve got a Mozo 15" LCD on the other PC. It’s been going strong for 2 years now. The quality of it is pretty damn good, too. :rainbow:

Thanks! I’ll probably get it tomorrow, then. One shop had a slideshow going on their Mozo that was astounding in its clarity and color – but they weren’t running the same one on the other screens, so I couldn’t make a direct comparison. In a couple of others, though, the Mozo looked at least as good as the Philips. If they last, then all is well. :slight_smile:

Regarding Philips monitors…when I was at Philips in Eindhoven a couple of years ago, guess what systems and monitors they used? Compaq. The people at Philips told me their (Philips) montors sucked big time. :astonished:

I have a ViewSonic VP171b myself and love that it pivots90 degrees.
Lets you view a webpage as a page. When I get bored I just turn it again.

MOZO is a pretty good make as well. Though it doesn’t have the reputation of ViewSonic or Samsung in terms of dependability in the long term.
My last 19" Samsung CRT lasted me nearly 5 years. I sold it before coming here.
If your going to spend that kind of money, you may as well get what you want.

My old CRT monitor is a bit small and it seems to give me a headache.

I was thinking of going for one of these new-fangled flat panel things. I’d appreciate any tips as I know little about this. I had a look at a few today and Benq seemed to be some of the cheapest. Is there anything terribly wrong with getting a Benq?

Time lag is not an issue, but “native resolution” might be. I need a not-too-high resolution such as 1024*768 so that text is big enough.

Thanks in advance.

Joesax –
I have been using a 17" MOZO LCD for a year or so now.
It is an excellent monitor. I remember doing a bit of research on it when I first came across it and was suitably impressed.
From my experience with it, I’d say give it a go.
I paid around 13,500 if I remember right. It is model F 701. It has a digital input as well as regular. It also has built in speakers, but I do not use them.
I also use it to watch DVD’s/VCD’s and movies look great.
I am perfectly happy with it.

p.s. - Joesax sorry. I was responding to the OP’s post. I did not see the date on it. My comments are still valid though.

Hope I’m not too late with this, but you should know that in my experience, MOZOs go out out of the box or serve you well for years.
Just be sure to check the different colored pixels before you pay for it.
Most producers have a strict No Repair/Replacement policy on monitors with fewer than four blown pixels on them.
This is regardless of the fact that the pixels were blown bofre the thing was even shipped.

I’ve got an applet that does this and I can email it to you should you need it.
Haven’t had enough time to set up my FTP yet.

Or you could just stay away from their low end models altogether and avoid the issue.

Hope I’m not too late with this, but you should know that in my experience, MOZOs go out out of the box or serve you well for years.
Just be sure to check the different colored pixels before you pay for it.
Most producers have a strict No Repair/Replacement policy on monitors with fewer than four blown pixels on them.
This is regardless of the fact that the pixels were blown bofre the thing was even shipped.

I’ve got an applet that does this and I can email it to you should you need it.
Haven’t had enough time to set up my FTP yet.

Or you could just stay away from their low end models altogether and avoid the issue.[/quote]

when I went shopping wid my friend, MOZO had this model that has a 1 pixel repair policy, so if there is even 1 bad pixel they will come to your house and replace/repair the LCD. Worth it IMO as it cost an extra $1,000NT for this warranty/model.

Price is the main factor for me, followed by text size. Working it out it seems that a 15" monitor with 1024*768 res will give me a bigger text size than a 17" one with a higher resolution. I don’t want to shell out for a 19" one.

So thanks for the tips about Mozo, but as Benq seem to be one of the cheapest brands, is there any reason I shouldn’t go for a 15" one of those?

(How much of a big deal is a blown pixel anyway? Surely they don’t cause that much of a problem and are just a little annoying.)

I don’t think you are tied to a specific resolution as this can be easily changed under Windows, depending on your graphics adapter of course, i.e. even the native resolution is higher you could always set it to 1024x768 (or 800x600 even if you like).
Even the Windows’ font size can be easily changed (in XP righ-click on your desktop, then select “Properties”, “Appearance” and select your preferred “Font Size” from the menu).

Otherwise me thinks the bigger the better (1024x768 on a 19" is bigger than 1024x768 on a 15"). :smiley:

Sufficiently annoying to be a big deal. :wink:

I don’t think you are tied to a specific resolution as this can be easily changed under Windows, depending on your graphics adapter of course, i.e. even the native resolution is higher you could always set it to 1024x768 (or 800x600 even if you like).
Even the Windows’ font size can be easily changed (in XP righ-click on your desktop, then select “Properties”, “Appearance” and select your preferred “Font Size” from the menu[/quote]Thanks. I know about the font size thing. Yet there are certain programs with which I would benefit from staying in 1024 * 768.

I’ve read that the “native resolution” on LCD screens is pretty important and that it doesn’t work well if you lower the software screen resolution. Perhaps this is old information. Does anyone else know about this?

OK.

Well, of course the best thing is to have a 1:1 match as then no scaling is required, which could result in blurring. May depend on the quality of the monitor though.

Perhaps you can find a 19" with 1024x768 native resolution, then you get the best of both worlds. :slight_smile:

OK.

Well, of course the best thing is to have a 1:1 match as then no scaling is required, which could result in blurring. May depend on the quality of the monitor though.

Perhaps you can find a 19" with 1024x768 native resolution, then you get the best of both worlds. :slight_smile:

I see your point, though most people don’t want to pay the extra $NT1000.
( Though I offer similar service without the charge) It’s been my experience that probably upward of 90% of my customers wouldn’t be willing to pay it anyway. I can see why as well…Why should you pay for something twice? It’s kind of like saying, " I’ll sell you this computer, but I can’t promise it’ll work. "
The manufacturer should obviously bare responsibility for faulty hardware.
At least in my opinion anyway…

Have you considered 1440x900 resolution monitors? I haven’t seen too many. I’m sure there out there. I saw one at 3C for 10k. Ugh, I have doubts about the quality.

Myself, I’ll get an Apple 20" or 23" when I get around to it. The resolution and design is really worth it for me. The 1280x854 on my Powerbook is really not quite enough for real design work.

I was out trying to find a good lcd for my wife today here in Hsinchu with absolutely no luck. I have one Samsung 173p 17" which I quite like allot, it’s very bright with great contrast and accurate colour. Good price as well. Unfortunately no one seems to carry this model anymore and I don’t really understand the benefit of having a 19" lcd when it has the same resolution.

I have read the recommendations here but perhaps there are others people might recommend? I’m not interested in spending big money on an eizo or apple - I’m too poor - 12k would be my limit.

I am looking at samsung 913B…but heard they leak light or something…anyone know anything about 913B?

Bigger screen size with the same resolution simply means a bigger picture. Consider the size of fonts, thumbnails, etc.

Did you consider Viewsonic? I read some good reviews about the VP191b, but haven’t checked the price yet.

Anyone noticed how cheap these new fangled things are getting? I’ve noticed several new 19" models in the stores at 8000nt, and there are a whole page of them on yahoo auctions in the 4000-7000 range. That’s cheap enough for me. Most seem to be 1280*1024.

So what should I look for? What specs should I be comparing?

And gary, don’t tell me to buy an Apple.