Flat tire hours after my ride

This has happened two times now. Both times it was hours after my ride. A big hissing sound that startles everyone (I have my bike in the apartment). Both times it was after going up the mountain by my house, and not after riding on the bike paths. I would say a good two months between the two flats.

Is this just a coincidence? Or is there maybe something in my front tire that’s slowly puncturing my inner tube over time (front tire both times)? I ran my finger along the inside of the front tire before replacing the inner tube both times. Didn’t feel anything.

Should I replace my front tire? I think I’m about close to needing that anyway. I’ve got a race next month.

How many kms is on the front tire? I remember you changed tires, but don’t remember how long ago and if you changed both front and back tire. If you got 5000-6000kms on the front tire, it’s probably time to give it a swap.

Possible reasons:

• Check if the nozzles on your inner tube is loose. I have this issue, but not to the point where the entire tire is out of air. Dead giveaway is when air is constantly leaking even when you are pumping your tires.

• Remove the inner tube and submerge the inner tube in water and see if it takes in/leaks water. Make sure you remember to not submerge the nozzle! :smiley:

• Check the inside and outside of the tire again, this time with your hands and eyes. Not just hands.

1 Like

Thanks for that. I’m sure I don’t have that many kms on my tires. It was a terrible winter for cycling (as you know), and of course, I do other things besides just cycling.

Anyway, it sounds from your post that something is wrong and this is not a normal state of things. The first time it happened, I just didn’t know (not enough cycling experience and just thankful it happened after my ride).

I think I’ll remove everything and check things carefully before my next ride. Thanks again.

Haven’t read you in detail but:

1. check the “strap” that is placed in the inner part of the rim. It should be well placed and smooth, no holes, no wrinkles
  2. when there’s (still) a higher pressure the tyre itself covers the holes in the tube. As it loses pressure, the contact among tyre and tube is less tight, so the air leak increases its speed

It really sounds like a problem with the rim tape, but I would need to see it.

Before I changed the inner tube last time, I folded the old inner tube and squeezed. No air came out. I still have my inner tube from this second flat. If it also does this, then perhaps it really is a nozzle issue. I’ll do this as soon as I get home and get back to you guys. Thanks.

Sounds like an issue with the valve.
I had the same problem with one of our bikes.
Out of the blue a hissing sound and a flat tire.
Pump the tire up exceeding the maximum pressure to see if you can trigger this event.

But if I’m changing the inner tube, am I maybe buying a bad brand? I’m using a presta valve adapter which I place right back on the valve after pumping. I do the same on the rear tire. Is the adapter maybe causing this? Am I not screwing the valve firmly back into place after pumping? I’ll check these things when I get home.

Presta valves can break pretty easily, some brands probably more prone than others. Screwing an adapter on and off might cause more wear and tear than normal.

…If that is actually the problem.

There’s a hole in the inner tube. But it’s immediately adjacent to the valve seat- you know the patch inside that holds the valve. Conclusion? Bad brand or factory lot. Or my rim is puncturing the inner tube. Picture will follow.

To the right of the valve. Right next to the patch inside the tube holding the valve in place. Small hole. Had to put it in water to tell. Brand is Element.
P_20180417_184022_vHDR_Auto

Check the rim and rim tape.

1 Like

And make sure the valve and hole are lined up perfectly. I’ve had a tear at that same spot before that I think was due to (cheap product?) mostly bad installation on my part.

I think it’s what I was telling you: check the inner part of the rim and its tape.

ALSO, very IMPORTANT: when you put the inner tube inside, make sure that it’s in the correct position, and not twisted and not cramped by anything. It is a good idea to inflate it a BIT just before putting insdide, then move it around so that it sits in its place nicely, and then finish mounting the tyre and only then inflate the tyre to the desired riding pressure. You can also overinflate it a bit and then bounce it against the floor for a while and then release the air to the PSI’s you want.

Thanks all. I plan on taking my front wheel to the shop tomorrow. If I take the wheel and new inner tube off myself, I won’t know what I’m looking for anyway. Also, if there is something wrong, I can get it fixed right away. I’ll keep everyone posted with pics, just in case somebody else runs into a similar issue in the future.

Okay, it was the tape! Good call, Jesus. Green is old, red new. He added a piece of the old tube around the nozzle as this is where the hole formed.

P_20180419_192601_vHDR_Auto
P_20180419_193532_vHDR_Auto

1 Like

Yes, I know I was right :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Btw, as suggested by the shop owner, I changed the tape on both wheels. It was obvious the rear wheel needed to be changed, too. Total cost was 400 NT. Great deal but I had to sit through his “your wheels are crap” lecture again.

This made me think that I believe most people change their wheels before the tape gets so run down. But I’ve been as stubborn as a mule with my stock Giant wheels. I think there’s a part of me that takes great pleasure in doing okay in triathlons with my very average road bike (and not a top-end tri or TT bike), and with my crappy stock wheels.

To be honest, those wheels you have are built to last a lifetime. Nonetheless, something a bit more aero wouldn’t hurt, but the gains you get with the money you spend are minimal.

I’m actually quite surprised you haven’t upgraded yet! Resist the urge!

1 Like

People can be very annoying especially when they can potentially make money out of it. By saving the money of a much modern, better bike, you are “buying” the right to look down on those who ride those expensive bikes.

500 for a bit if yellow tape is expensive IMO.

Happily surprised to read that from you! yes, that money can be better invested in anything else.

I have made some small upgrades on my bike including wheels, and when I did it I was totally aware that it wasn’t going to make me much faster. But I guess that I was kinda tired of the parts I changed, and wanted to motivate/reward me :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hell, i use two winds of electrical tape for rim tape, so go figure. well, i only have one bike with clincher tires., tubular the rest. again, go figure.

dump the Giant wheels for something lighter and more tubular. you’ll be amazed.