Flights For Dogs To Canada

I want to take my dog to Toronto, Canada, but I’m told airlines no longer allow dogs on passenger flights - in the hold or otherwise.

Yesterday my travel agent told me I have to “mail” my dog overseas, using a private courier company.

Does anyone know anything about this? Which companies deal with animals, what are the costs/regulations in sending an animal overseas in this way?

How heavy is your dog? You can take a dog to Canada easily. It’s one of the easiest and cheapest western countries in that regard. Some airlines may not do it. I know China Airlines and Air Canada will do it.

Read the following, and ask specific questions if you have any. You’ve got it well covered with the following pages.

bark-taiwan.org/content/educ … _to_canada

pettravel.com/immigration/Canada.cfm

viewtopic.php?p=874705#p874705

marboulette

I have shipped pets before to Canada. China Airlines allows 2 pets to be shipped under your ticket. it costs around $ 3000 nt per pet. you need to call the airline and make a reservation for you pets under your name. they will ask you the dog’s weight and cage size. LxHxW. you need to get your dog a health certificate from a vet and then go to a government animal quarentine hospital/university and get the animal checked there. after you get your documents, you have 10 days to leave.
if you want to bring the pet back… it will cost you around 2000 CND and takes 6 ~ 8 months to complete the paperwork and wait time. so make sure the dog will stay in Canada, as it’s a hassel bringing pets back.

[quote=“applegirl”]
if you want to bring the pet back… it will cost you around 2000 CND and takes 6 ~ 8 months to complete the paperwork and wait time. so make sure the dog will stay in Canada, as it’s a hassel bringing pets back.[/quote]

I just did this as well in Dec 08. 2 dogs, it cost us 105CAD, the paperwork must be started 30 days prior to leaving for the rabies shot, not 6-8 months. It was not that much of a hassel at all.

Just beware of some of the dates etc.

From Air Canada website. http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/baggage/pets.html

Annual holiday blackout dates
Due to increased passenger and cargo loads, Air Canada is not able to transport pets:

* From December 18 to January 7 (as checked baggage).
* From December 15 to January 11 (as cargo).
* From June 20 to September 10 (as checked baggage).

Clients wishing to travel with pets must book flights that fall outside this embargo period.

Additional winter restrictions
From 1 November through 31 March, and at any other time when temperature is 0 degrees Celsius and below, pets are not accepted on the following aircraft:

* CRJ 100/200 (CRJ)
* CRJ 705 (CRA)
* Embraer 175 (E75)
* Embraer 190 (E90)
* Beech 1900D (BEH)
  On select CMA, airCreebec, Air Georgian, Calm Air, Pacific Coastal, and Air Labrador flights

Note: Although not restricted, the cargo compartments on our Airbus A319, A320, and A321 aircraft are not heated and temperatures can be as low as two degrees Celsius, so it is not recommended to transport animals on these aircraft during the winter season.

Summer restrictions
Air Canada Cargo has a summer embargo from June 20th to September 28th for the following stations: ATL, MCO, MIA, FLL, LAS, IAH, PHX. This is due to extreme heat conditions and USDA regulations. Advise passengers to contact Air Canada Cargo at (866) 615-1155 for further information.

Thanks for all the replies.

My dog is 7 - 8 kg.

I will look into finding an Air Canada or China Air flight to Toronto.

This is a one way journey; I won’t be returning with her in the future.

Northwest Airlines is also good to go. If you go through Hong Kong, you need some extra documents. If you go through America, you will have to take the dog out there, have the cage checked by security and then check it him back in. When you get to Canada, you simply pick the dog up and go home. You may have to pay a $30 CA fee when you arrive. Make sure you have a proper cage, call Petmate 02 8292 3828 or 02 8292 3827

If you can’t find a direct flight to Toronto, I suggest you fly via the USA. They have the same pet regulations as Canada so I think there is no extra paperwork. Going thru Japan or Hong Kong requires extra paperwork and you must pay fees for your pet in transit.

A friend took her 2 dogs from Taiwan to Vancouver in Sept 2008 and she paid $6000nt per dog. Each dog was about 15-20kg. Then she paid $40cnd upon arrival for each dog.

Another friend took her cat back to Canada in summer 2008 and she flew via USA with no problems. She was even offered by the airline (American Airlines) to take her cat in the cabin provided she could fit the crate in the tiny space under the seat. She opted to send her cat cargo so it would have room to move around in the crate during the long 12 hour flight.

Another friend took his 2 cats via Hong Kong in Oct 2008. He checked the crate, in Kaohsiung, after they welded the door shut and said ‘seee you later’ to his 2 cats. He called me from Hong Kong after they informed him that only 1 cat was in the crate! The second cat was found 12 days later in the cargo building. I swear, I’ll never go thru Hong Kong with a pet.

Overall, I’ve heard mostly positive experiences with getting pets from Taiwan to Canada. Just talk to the airlines directly and always get everything confirmed on paper.

Good luck!

Good luck!

Great information. Thanks, everyone!

[quote] …the paperwork must be started 30 days prior to leaving for the rabies shot, not 6-8 months. [/quote] I am not sure I am clear on what you meant above. Do you mean you must start the paperwork for the rabies shot 30 days before leaving Taiwan for Canada (as opposed to 6-8 months prior for going to the UK) ?