FMA in Taichung / Nantou

Hi All,

I will be relocating this month from the Philippines to Taiwan (Nantou).

I have been training/ teaching here under GM Yuli Romo for the last 4 years and will be looking to start a small group in Taichung City on Sundays. If anybody wants to make it out to Nantou I might be able to teach in the mornings around my work schedule.

Just drop me a line if you’re interested.

Simon.

Here are some videos of the style / lineage / applications etc

youtube.com/watch?v=LVnx0NHnekQ
youtube.com/user/BahadZubuPl … R-3QEDDijc
youtube.com/watch?v=bns-E7uASbE
youtube.com/user/BahadZubuPl … 7uSKeFgeFw

Hi there. Did you by any chance also practice the empty hand styles of Filipino martial arts as well ?

Hi Josh,

I only currently practice “Bahad Zu’bu” - which roughly translates as “The threat of stick and knife”.

Of course, in common with many of the FMA systems we do have an empty hand component to the art and regularly work empty hand v weapons (always under the proviso that we can not run!) and some-times empty-hand v empty-hand.

Whilst living in the Philippines I had exposure to a lot of FMA and most of them “bolted on” an empty-hand style (usually boxing, sometimes stuff like Aikido, or Wing Chun even). My take is if I was going to do that - I’d just study boxing. Or Wing Chun (again) or Aikido. If you’re talking purely about other empty-hand Pinoy styles like Yaw-Yan, Sikaran, or Tat-kun-Tou that is another matter :wink:

I understand that you practice “Panuntukan” and I do enjoy boxing and it’s useful to remember that some believe boxing was modified in the Philippines and incorporates elements from knife-fighting within it. You will probably like the following video:

youtube.com/watch?v=eypbxKXI1ag

Best of luck finding training partners and if you ever fancy working some stick or knife in Taichung or seeing some BZ empty hands give me a shout.