Food inflation, local trend or worldwide?

Shopping at the markets, I’ve noticed greens have gone up a lot since the pandemic, I suppose restaurants just passing it on.

Maybe we can find some more space to grow greens in between all these new computer chip factories on the west coast?

1 Like

There’s always a discount guy at the markets, or not even necessarily the markets, sometimes just selling off the back of a truck at a fixed location. Quality varies greatly.

How about your roof?

Already happening in buildings here.

That’s hard to believe.

3 Likes

Green veg prices have shot up all over Taiwan. Obviously from time to time you’ll get some deals…But overall…Serious inflation.
I suspect middlemen interference and also problems with smuggling food from China due to covid are having some impact. Just a suspicion. Shipping rates also shot up and food prices overseas as have shot up aswell as energy costs.

In front and on top (roof has rock melon/ spanspek) my house.

1 Like

The real test to see if food is too expensive is to check what places like convenience stores, restaraunts and dense housing areas are throwing away. Based on food waste (and farmers incomes), food is still too cheap.

Our whole society is pretty disgusting when we look at our waste and think about our privelage/entitled mind sets.

1 Like

The amount of food waste is incredible. Not just by stores, but by individuals. That is one thing I argue with my wife about. She always spends time finding products in shops selling them slightly cheaper and buying extra, making me drive to Costco because it is cheaper to buy bulk etc. But then food gets wasted because we buy too much. We would save money and time by just buying less of the slightly more expensive product at the closest store.

3 Likes

I was only questioning your statement that appeared to be saying food inflation isn’t happening. It now appears we agree that it is.

You know the purpose of a food bank isn’t necessarily to provide food to people who can’t afford them. It’s actually to reduce food waste. Basically food banks would give away almost expired food items so they get eaten rather than wasted.

But food banks in Taiwan don’t give food to anyone like they do in the states… you have to have “low income” status which is harder to get than SNAP in the US. But they also don’t give out almost expired food that grocery stores give to them for free… they actually have to buy them.

I think we need the kind of food banks that gives out almost expired food in Taiwan.

Yup, we do. i think it has not inflated enough to reflect actual value however.

Of course there will always be example of places that are over inflated. Like alcohol in areas of canada where alcohol is illegal, it is WAY over inflated. But normally, food is still too cheap and will keep inflating until indoor/lab food is more developed and yummy in, im estimating, 20 to 30 years :slight_smile:

What kind of food is too cheap?

I would agree if you said junk food and sugary snacks. It would be in the interest of the country to tax non-whole foods and especially junk food and sweetened beverages excessively while also subsidizing fresh produce if necessary to make it exceptionally attractive to the buyer. The subsidies would probably be offset by the taxes and the population could in theory become much healthier, greatly reducing healthcare costs. Think the choice between the $5 apple and the $150 single serving bag of chips or pack of candy at 7-11. That disparity could definitely change habits. They should do the same with tabacco as well.

Using taiwan as an example for price comparisons, most veggies/non meat (exceptions: truffles, vanilla, saffron etc), meat (exceptions them high end japanese steaks, various nearly extinct species) and staples in common supermarkets are still too cheap. My reasoning?

Not too cheap based on average wage comparisons by some peoples standards (which are largely wasteful standards that are not realistic and sustainable).

1. The price that we pay retail does not come close to the cost to us on health, environment, subsidies, trade, water loss in many areas, top soil loss, pollution, disease, outbreaks etc.

2. The waste bin is still filled with left overs which literally spells: cheap enough to throw away.

Based on these 2 points, food is still too cheap.

You know if you raise price on food some people are going to starve because when they could barely afford food, now they can’t afford it at all.

Be careful what you wish for. Unless you think having people die from hunger is good for the planet.

1 Like

Im not wishing for it. just making an observation based on realities of food production, logistics and consumption. The entire food industry is onsanely broken and innefficient. It is perhaps one of the most critical industries in need of a serious renovation! Doesnt mean i agree with any of th thungs that are happening with it, In fact i am largely in contrast to the trends.

If i am wishing for something it is that people dont buy more than they need, dont throw away food, farmers get paid fairly for their work and packing/logistics pollute far less and become more sustainable for the environment. Thats what i wish for. Not starvation.

1 Like

Who would have thought printing money would cause inflation lol

In Belgium milk is cheaper than bottled water. Because dairy farmers get almost nothing for their milk.

Hahaha, ya. but literally everybody.

Fruit prices going up

Canada’s facing the perfect storm of a food crisis in coming months | Toronto Sun