Food inflation, local trend or worldwide?

Isn’t that the truth. The only supermarket fruit I find consistently good is Japanese supermarket fruit. US fruit looks good but is barely edible. My workaround when in the US is pick-your-own fruit orchards, which are plentiful in my area.

Great story about the famed cherry tree in Wutai (I love that place)—but how is it connected to AG theft or the topic of this thread?

Guy

I think the Washington state cherries are excellent in the summer.

Even if the sakura cherries from Japan were the same price (they are not), I’d still prefer the ones from Washington state.

Guy

Thanks for the tip. I’ll make a mental note to keep an eye out for Washington state cherries.

Season’s over—typically July and August. When I’m in Vancouver during that time, I eat cherries and blueberries like there’s no tomorrow. :slight_smile:

Interestingly, Washington state has been quite aggressive in marketing their products here in Taiwan, so they are available here (when in season) at the higher end supermarkets—City Super, Jason’s, and the like. Even PXMart brought some in this year (though again unfortunately they seem to be gone for 2021) . . .

Guy

Sorry my copy paste slipped up. I was posting the tree article in the pingtung thread at the same time. i edited that. Here it is again:

1 Like

Washington apple hires an agent here to deal with all of taiwan and their products.

1 Like

Does Sakura even produce cherries? I thought they’re just flowering.

Sorry, I was just reading the labels, which say “Sakuranba.”

Some images from Japan here:

Guy

Yes. Most all cherry/plum species produce fruit and seeds, many are not used as a human food.

There are several excellent cherry species grown in Europe too.

Yup. I think much of the temperate world ha some pretty amazing ones.

https://wapo.st/39bMqnh

3 Likes

Good link, hope price increases slow down.

3 Likes

More of the same. We all keep winning and thanking President Ma of the CKMT for these lovely situations.

Both can be true, though, right? The fact that it previously went through deflation does not change the fact that it is now going through inflation. You’re arguing that it was previously underpriced and is now returning to a more realistic price. That’s a perfectly reasonable viewpoint, but that still means it’s inflating.

1 Like

Yes, thats correct. It is inflating to a still heavily subsidized way too cheap price point.

In a local noodle place. They are asking for 65NT for a veg side - 小盤菜。 What’s the world coming to. :no_mouth:
I didn’t buy it even though I want to eat some veg. The most it should be is 40 NTD.
They wrote the price on the small dishes, obviously because so many customers get a shock when going to pay for them.

Food prices are going to get more expensive as energy prices are spiking. Well actually everything is going to be more expensive.

Seems you guys in Taipei are still getting ripped off. Vegetable/fruit prices are normal in my area. Yesterday I got big bunches of pole beans for 20nt, three giant bags of snap peas for 50nt and three zucchinis, much nicer and bigger than the packs at Costco, for 50nt and three packs of Romaine lettuce for 15nt. Apples 10nt each, guavas and tangerines 5nt each.