Food inflation, local trend or worldwide?

oh, sorry. I see your point. That is true.

one reason taiwans fertilizer hasnā€™t sky rocketed is because many companies here use shit. Usually pig shit. Better than nuclear, fossil fuels etc. And easily made in house with simple machinery.

edit. stuff bought through the psuedo government companies hasnā€™t sky rocketed. certain imported stuff has gone up 100 plus per 20kg bag.

1 Like

HH is to attract people in the slow hours hoping theyā€™ll stay later and spend money on more food and drinks.

The free HH snacks at ā€˜Planet Hollywoodā€™ back in the days was a disaster, they never made money on the drinks they sold.

It works well here because the hog industry is huge and the transportation costs are minimal. Lucky.

exactly. It is about time we started thinking .this way. in house, easy logistics should be within the top 3 priorities of all manufacturing. if it isnt, look at Europe now, Cuba before and possibly Taiwan soon.

It worked great in the restaurant I worked at while I was in school.

Half-priced beer and a specific mixed drink between 2 and 5 brought in lots of people that then bought overpriced appetizers and meals.

After 10, appetizers were half-off and people were willing to accompany them with full-priced drinks.

The snacks were free of charge, drinks needed to be paid. And I think the beer was buy one get one or something too.

saw these today. A note on greenhouse being pricier due to inflated inputs (mostly metals and plastics).

1 Like

Dragon fruits are great, though I mostly put it in smoothies instead of eating it.

1 Like

I donā€™t think they are like cardboard, but their perfumy aroma does not catapult this fruit to the top of my list. :neutral_face:

Guy

Iā€™m in the process of building a test setup for climate-controlled indoor growing under lights. In the past I wouldnā€™t have bothered with such things, but current retail prices are so sky-high that it would be mad to ignore the possibilities. Itā€™s an ill wind and all that.

1 Like

What if you eat Dragon Fruit at a Dragonforce concert?

Cool. let us know how it goes. we have played around with such things too. In the end it just seems so wasteful to be worth it unless land is unavailable.

Are you going soil or soil less ?

Itā€™s also good for growing various ā€œherbsā€ā€¦

yeah, a lot of up-front cost, but the point is that Iā€™d be able to grow things that simply arenā€™t possible in an open-field situation, and power will be free (solar). So hopefully high markups.

If it works Iā€™ll post some pictures!

1 Like

If youā€™re comfortable, post pics if it fails too! thatā€™s what we all really learn from :smiling_face:

1 Like

Anyone know whatā€™s up with Turkey recently? Thatā€™s my wifeā€™s go to for sandwich meat, and many places are out. Subway doesnt even bother saying itā€™s coming soon anymore.

Millions of chickens and turkeys have been killed in the US ā€œbecause of bird fluā€ or whatever the Current Thing is. I know people do keep turkeys here, but perhaps a lot of the meat is imported?

Ya I think probably nearly all of the meat is imported. Disease would make sense. At least more sense than inflation.

Yesterday i bought bananas for 9nt per jin.
i asked the vendor how come its so cheap (its one third of the price last week) and he said its sonce these cant be exported.
A few questions came to mind :

1. if i buy at 9nt/jin retail, how much is the farmer getting ? prob not enough to cover their costs.
  2. banans ranged between 20 to 30 nt this summer, are the markups really that huge?