Food shortages in Taiwan, 2022

Seriously? Have you seen an okra plant?

Nothing is wasted technically. However if you think about all the inputs of time money and resources put into a banana for the purpose of human consumption and it is just thrown into the dump its considered wasted because all its inputs were not used for its intended purpose.

Basically it costs a lot of stuff for no human benefit.

Ya we grow it. You get 1~3 fingers every 2 days. Work well in pots. Trouble is its not a winter plant. You grow that with sweet potato around the base and maybe kidney beans up its stalk. Its sturdy like most hibiscus, and not a super dense crown of foliage so stuff can grow under it ok if in a sunny spot.

1 Like

My understanding is itā€™s not the large quantities of food waste rotting in landfills that contaminate the soil and water. Rather itā€™s the secondary effects. One is because food waste is the largest single component in most landfills landfills are spread out over a larger area than they would otherwise be, spreading the effects of the contaminating waste over a larger area. The other is large quantities of rotting food waste attract large vermin populations, which contribute to the adulteration of local soil and water.

The greatest negative effect though is food waste breaking down anaerobically in a landfill generates large amounts of methane which is a major contributor to climate change.

1 Like

Air drying doesnā€™t do this?

Freeze drying is expensive if you have it done by a company unless you have significant amount to do at one setup.

Itā€™s not the smallest plant around.

OK, makes sense. But the basic problem then is landfills.

Fortunately Taiwan does make some effort to recycle food waste separately, but it really is done very inefficiently. Iā€™m guessing people will only start to fix this when theyā€™re forced to by necessity. It wouldnā€™t be particularly difficult to set up (say) neighbourhood composting operations, but thereā€™s no compelling incentive to do so at the moment.

1 Like

Its tallish not wide. Can be grown in 1 gallon pot. But it produces decent quantities of quality food.

Where do you get a cheap bread maker to even make bread? Iā€™m on a tight budget hence needing to make bread to begin with (also the lack of vegan bread here). :joy:

Vegan bread? Sourdough is vegan.

1 Like

Iā€™ve honestly have never seen it here. Also, I mean regular sliced bread. I donā€™t really trust people here because I noticed they label fish, honey, eggs, and milk okay for vegans. Plus Iā€™ve had a bad experience where people think things like cheese donā€™t have milk lol.

Sorry I went on a rant there :face_exhaling:

2 Likes

https://shopee.tw/product/4004127/1939377857?smtt=0.609384768-1647405164.9

cheapest ones start at 2100 nt, not cost prohibitive.

mind you, i used to own a bread maker, but found the crust too soft for my liking.

1 Like

Most bread use shortening if fat is used, not butter. If itā€™s not milk bread or toast it has no milk. If youā€™re afraid of insects being killed during processing of ingredients, not much to do about it. Yes there is sourdough in Taiwan, and places that have ā€˜normalā€™ bread.

1 Like

I buy Carrefour sliced bread in big loaves. It does have palm oil on the ingredients list. But no milk, and it is quite dry to my palate. It is like the lowest most generic sliced bread you would get at the supermarket back home. But it is good enough to keep in the freezer when in a pinch I need some tea and toast. I have not set foot in one of those faux Japanese inspired margarine bread bakeries in years. Some of the traditional breakfast places do some okay bread rolls that arenā€™t full of grease. If I see a Taiwanese whinging about it being too tough on Google reviews, I know I will like it.

2 Likes

I just have a giant bucket with holes in it on my balcony. Dead leaves, food scraps, and used paper (like paper towels, anything smaller than A4 paper cuz that canā€™t be recycled, etc) all go in there. I water it when I water my plants. Everything that Iā€™ve put in there has broken down. If you water and turn a compost pile correctly, you wonā€™t get cockroaches, etc. (but rats are a different issue, if you put meat and cheese in). Iā€™m super careful about all waste because it stinks to high heck if you donā€™t dispose of it promptly in this climate.

1 Like

There are two types of shorting lol. I do not trust Taiwan to use vegetable shortening. A lot of bread here do use animal products. Hell even in the US they use L-cysteine which isnā€™t vegan. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Some vegetarians eat that. I guess they donā€™t distinguish between vegan and vegetarian much.

1 Like

Most breads, baked goods use palm fat, hydrogenated fats.

You need hydrogenated to keep things crispy. Like biscuits, or anything with layers. But for plain old bread, you just need any old oil to make it softer, itā€™s not necessary to put hydrogenated fat in sliced bread. It could just be plain old palm oil in bread.