Food we miss that is now MIA in Taiwan

iHerb is easy for masa harina, and a tad cheaper even after shipping than ordering it locally from a Latino store. No special hassles to deal with; just order it, and provide your ID and phone number if asked.

1 Like

Heads up ā€“ Costco now has a type of Cheerios that has only the merest hint of sweetness on the outside, and they are very low in sugar. I prefer the plain for my kids, but given that this is the only one available, AFAIK, itā€™s acceptable.

1 Like

Yes and no. They do sell it, but itā€™s out of stock a lot (like right now). It took me a few months to be able to order a couple of packages: several times I got midnight emails telling me it was back in stock, and by the time I got up in the morning, oops, it was out of stock again, and the cycle repeated a few weeks later.

More worryingly, a lot of other Bobā€™s Red Mill products are no longer available from iHerb - itā€™s the French green lentils Iā€™m going to really miss when my stock runs out. At some point Iā€™ll have to figure out whatā€™s the best locally available equivalent; probably something at Trinity.

Thatā€™s good to know. The last time I tried to order masa from iherb, they were out of stock.

I ordered some masa from florida bakery last time. I even tried making tamales and they turned out very good using the lard from meat section in the supermarket and homemade stock. I wrapped them in soaked bamboo leaves.

1 Like

Grey Poupon

I used to be able to find it in the expensive basement department store groceries, but no longer.

It really is the best mustard. If youā€™ve seen it in Taipei, please let me know, Iā€™ll be visiting in a month or two.

My favorite mustard is Colmanā€™s Hot Mustard, which has also sadly disappeared from shelves here.

1 Like

Has it disappeared again? Damn! Iā€™ve almost run out.

2 Likes

I donā€™t see it in the Carrefours located in the armpit of Taiwan (aka Kaohsiung). Maybe itā€™s still in the Taipei stores.

Carrefour were selling Rice Krispies for a while, seem to have all disappeared now. They never appeared on Kelloggā€™s TW website so perhaps they were a grey import!

1 Like

Cereals get weird. I saw Mini-Wheats in two different branches (Danshui and Zhishan) a few months ago, and bought them at both branches. Havenā€™t seen them since. Around the same time, I saw a single solitary box of plain Chex at the Zhishan Carrefour, and bought that to make Chex Mix / Nuts and Bolts / Snack Mix. Havenā€™t seen it since.

I stand by my theory that many of our too-brief favorites at Carrefour are from misplaced shipments that accidentally wind up in Taiwan.

1 Like